Memphis Game Uniforms

Not sure what happened to football pants.  Not us, every team.   Wasn’t there a uniform rule a few years ago that the pants had to cover the knees with pads?  Seems like we are not far from just running out in gym shorts.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

27 minutes ago, blg green eagle man said:

Yes I was wondering about that also. When I played years ago we all had pants below the knees with a pad over the knee.  Someone that knows tells us. Go Green beat Memphis State (ha ha)

Basically, what I could find on knee pads and pants is in 2018 it was required to have knee pads and pants extend below the knee to cover the pad. 
In 2022 there was an proposed amendment to allow smaller knee pads and shorter pants if leg stockings were used to cover the knee. 
I believe now it is just recommended a player cover the knee.. but some said the pad doesn't prevent ACL tears anyway, only protects for bruises and scrapes and other players hitting their jaw, etc on a player's knee.  

People also ask
Why are some college football players not wearing knee pads?

Some college football players have opted to forgo knee pads due to personal preference and comfort. They feel that wearing knee pads hinders their agility on the field, affecting their overall performance. This preference has contributed to a noticeable decrease in the use of knee pads among players.Jan 5, 2024

Edited by NT80
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, keith said:

Not sure what happened to football pants.  Not us, every team.   Wasn’t there a uniform rule a few years ago that the pants had to cover the knees with pads?  Seems like we are not far from just running out in gym shorts.  

I was just reading a few articles today because I've been curious about the lack of mouthpiece enforcement.
My original thought was that they were wearing the personalized ones w/o helmet attachments but legacy rules stipulated the mouthpiece had to be attached to the helmet.  Apparently, I was wrong and that wasn't the reason.

It turns out that most of the coaches weren't enforcing the rules themselves, so it was forcing the refs to be the "bad guy" and they were getting tired of getting yelled at by the coaches, so they quit enforcing it.

See response #2:
https://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=16474.0

Survey:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8515417/