• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. North Texas scores first

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. The Mean Green have a scoring play of more than 50 yards

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 10/19/2024 at 10:08 PM

Memphis drew 25K in the rain vs MTSU 2 weeks ago.  This weekend will be sunny and 76 degrees, perfect weather.

The good news is half their stadium is gone (renovations), thus limiting the crowd on one side...

https://share.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLmq7TzrY396Yd88LTdH7AhTqcHk3j_vRAe6-4/simmons_bank_liberty_stadium_renovation/camera/view_1

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

We have a 4-18 record against them.  We beat them in 1952, 1977, 1978, and 1980. We never beat them in the MVC days.  In 1952, we were in the Gulf Coast Conference. In '77, '78, and '80, we were independent.

We played them close the last two years, but found a way to lose.  Two pick sixes and a last second touchdown have cost us two games.  Close, but no win.

They get to talk all the crap they want until we prove otherwise.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

7 hours ago, UNT78 said:

NTSU? Let’s kick their ass for disrespecting us; I read the stat's, we have a good chance at winning this game. UNT fans show up in Memphis and let’s have the last laugh!!!

Just call them Memphis State. It may not make them call us UNT, but it will even things. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I think we have a fighters chance.  It will probably depend on turnovers.

Sadly we have not done well at generating turnovers. Per the NCAA website, we're tied for 94th with 1 fumble recovered and 5 interceptions. Memphis is tied for 12th with 8 fumbles recovered and 4 interceptions. Two of those fumbles were against Florida State who fumbled a punt return and kickoff return. The only game Memphis has lost, against Navy, is the only game they haven't generated a turnover.

I'm hopeful we'll run a 3-4 and pressure Hennigan some. Need to make people uncomfortable if you want them to make mistakes.

11 hours ago, UNT78 said:

NTSU? Let’s kick their ass for disrespecting us; I read the stat's, we have a good chance at winning this game. UNT fans show up in Memphis and let’s have the last laugh!!!

Nothing disrespectful about NTSU.  Just not the current name.  Embrace our heritage, not Memphis fan ignorance and stupidity.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Sadly we have not done well at generating turnovers. Per the NCAA website, we're tied for 94th with 1 fumble recovered and 5 interceptions. Memphis is tied for 12th with 8 fumbles recovered and 4 interceptions. Two of those fumbles were against Florida State who fumbled a punt return and kickoff return. The only game Memphis has lost, against Navy, is the only game they haven't generated a turnover.

I'm hopeful we'll run a 3-4 and pressure Hennigan some. Need to make people uncomfortable if you want them to make mistakes.

Fumbles are generated by being physical on defense.  That we are not.  We drag tackle and try to bump people down.  At least we are gap sound for now and I'm happy about that.  We can work on physical, but that is the primary reason we don't create turnovers.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

Fumbles are generated by being physical on defense.  That we are not.  We drag tackle and try to bump people down.  At least we are gap sound for now and I'm happy about that.  We can work on physical, but that is the primary reason we don't create turnovers.

Agree and disagree.  We're definitely doing a lot of "bump" tackles without any kind of wrap-up.  That works fine on the sideline.  I have seen some efforts at trying to strip the ball, although I'm often annoyed at seeing that because it is what often creates the extra 4-7yd runs where we're pulling at the ball but they're dragging us down the field while we're doing it.  Size may be a factor in that.

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2024 at 12:37 PM, UNT86 said:

We have a 4-18 record against them.  We beat them in 1952, 1977, 1978, and 1980. We never beat them in the MVC days.  In 1952, we were in the Gulf Coast Conference. In '77, '78, and '80, we were independent.

We played them close the last two years, but found a way to lose.  Two pick sixes and a last second touchdown have cost us two games.  Close, but no win.

They get to talk all the crap they want until we prove otherwise.

Also notable about our overall record vs Memphis is that from 1960 to 1975 we played them 14 times and lost all of them.  We couldn't beat them, even in the Joe Greene/Steve Ramsey era.  We skipped playing them in 76, and then in 77/78 Hayden Fry broke the curse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Also notable about our overall record vs Memphis is that from 1960 to 1975 we played them 14 times and lost all of them.  We couldn't beat them, even in the Joe Greene/Steve Ramsey era.  We skipped playing them in 76, and then in 77/78 Hayden Fry broke the curse. 

Man, that's a lot of losing. 😂 Thank you for enlightening me. 

• Sad 1

I've been saying about 3 prayers a day for a week, that the Defense has seriously worked on Tackling Techniques on the field and in the film room.  Poor technique anomalies happen from time to time.  But we're 8 weeks into the season....Need to see good technique from the first quarter, not wait until halfway into the third to figure things out....

• Upvote 2

On 10/15/2024 at 7:27 PM, TripleGrad said:

Interesting stats -- they make UNT sound a lot hotter on offense than they *feel* when we're watching the games.  It also points out the need to get rid of all vestiges of that 3-3-5 immediately.

I hope we run the 4-4-4 defense and stop someone from scoring on us in the red zone this season.

• Haha 1