Tulane Game Time/Channel - Homecoming

Big Z

8 hours ago, greenjoe said:

11 am is about the time the Homecoming Parade was starting to roll.  I miss the HC parade.  The notion that it no longer was important to the students seemed short sighted to me.  Alums and townsfolk stood for hours to watch.  

My kids looked forward to it every year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am going to guess the school isn't as they have proven Homecoming isn't that important to them anymore.

Well, if you recall, we no longer have a Homecoming Parade...  Director of the organization that runs that said "there's not enough interest, carbon footprint rules, all a TON of B.S.    The parade got cancelled back in the height of Covid...When Covid passed, the organization that runs it just did a hard pass about doing it (possibly ever...) again......

Should I post a link here to the other forum discussion "Where are all the Fans?"

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Back to the Homecoming Parade.  Last year I spoke with the organizer of the Robson Ranch July 4 Parade.  Those RR folks know how to come out for a parade.  I asked if he (his parade committee) would be interested in a HC parade at Robson.  They liked the idea.  I spoke with the Green Brigade director who was very nice but I never heard back from her.  It’s not a North Texas HC parade without the Green Brigade.  

We likely will never have a HC parade again.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Back to the Homecoming Parade.  Last year I spoke with the organizer of the Robson Ranch July 4 Parade.  Those RR folks know how to come out for a parade.  I asked if he (his parade committee) would be interested in a HC parade at Robson.  They liked the idea.  I spoke with the Green Brigade director who was very nice but I never heard back from her.  It’s not a North Texas HC parade without the Green Brigade.  

We likely will never have a HC parade again.

Another lost tradition.  Homecoming and the Parade used to be a time for alums of all eras to return to NT.  To reflect on their days there, renew friendships lost, and see how the campus has changed.   Not all the change there recently has been good for the University!

• Upvote 1

History of homecoming

What's not in dispute, however, is that in 1909 Baylor hosted a "Home-Coming" weekend that featured all the elements that remain important today. It took months of planning and included a pep rally, a bonfire, a parade and, of course, a football game, in which Baylor defeated TCU, 6-3.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41813350/2024-college-football-homecoming-tradition-missouri-baylor-illinois

• Upvote 1

Other teams playing at 11:00a that day:

Ohio State

Navy and Notre Dane

Ole Miss and Oklahoma

Now, I am sure someone is about to chime in with “yeah, but those programs are different and can draw crowds at any time of day.”    Yes, they are different…because they have fans whose only question is “Is my team playing?” and not the laundry list of asinine questions we keep asking:

Is it too hot/cold?

Is it within 15 days of a holiday?

Is another team that I have no affiliation with playing at the same time?

Is the opponent sexy enough (though I claim to be a fan of North Texas, so this is irrelevant)?  

Is it too late/early/middle of the day?

Is the team winning?  If so, are they winning by enough points?  If so, is the offense “pretty” enough?

Am I currently mad at the athletic department/university about something? 

Is it too far for me to drive?  If not, could I just watch on tv?  

What does my horoscope/tea leaves/position of the moon say?