Var'keyes Gumms

Marty

Scattershooting wondering whatever happened to....

Regretting his decision or laughing all the way to the bank? 

2 years at UNT:

34 receptions for 458 yards and five touchdowns.

2022 Second-Team Freshman All-American (The Athletic, CFN)
2022 Second-Team All-CUSA (PFF, PFN)
2022 Fourth-Team All-CUSA (Phil Steele)
2022 Conference USA All-Freshman (Coaches)

seasons at Arkansas:

2023: 3 catches for 26 yards, 0 TDs.

2024: 1 catch for 0 yards.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

At the time he was here he was 6'3" X 230. He had great hands, and he was great at getting yards after the catch.  Much like our current Gumm- replacement Oscar Hammond. Because of their size and not being quite as fast as a WR and not as big as a traditional TE, I've always called them hybrid TE's. They fit in great in college ball, but I'm not sure how well they do in the NFL.  There was a player like this at Rice a few years back who played in the NFL, but I don't know if he is still playing. 

Gumms may have thought that it was better to get the money now, because there may not be any after college ball. Regardless of how good he is.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Scattershooting wondering whatever happened to....

Regretting his decision or laughing all the way to the bank? 

2 years at UNT:

34 receptions for 458 yards and five touchdowns.

2022 Second-Team Freshman All-American (The Athletic, CFN)
2022 Second-Team All-CUSA (PFF, PFN)
2022 Fourth-Team All-CUSA (Phil Steele)
2022 Conference USA All-Freshman (Coaches)

seasons at Arkansas:

2023: 3 catches for 26 yards, 0 TDs.

2024: 1 catch for 0 yards.

What was his NIL at Arkansas?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

What was his NIL at Arkansas?

I don't know, but Arkansas has been complaining lately about having the smallest NIL in the SEC.

Look at Shorter, Adeyi, Maclin, etc...  I hope they are all getting paid, because their production is almost nonexistent now.  

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Almost (if not all) states release the salary information for employees or it is available via FOIA at a minimum.
Similarly, every player at a state school should have their NIL released as public information.

Only if they are getting paid by the state and listed as an employee... and the players still aren't employees of the university yet, unless i am mistaken (this is all moving so fast, i would be surprised if i wasnt wrong)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Only if they are getting paid by the state and listed as an employee... and the players still aren't employees of the university yet, unless i am mistaken (this is all moving so fast, i would be surprised if i wasnt wrong)

Yeah, I know, but that's part of what's wrong with this whole thing.  The NCAA essentially made what was illegal to do below the table, now legal to do, but still keep it under the table. 

• Puking Eagle 1

Kevin Wilson said it best at his press conference ahead of our game. Said NIL has to be good enough to keep the best guys at the program. But also the kids have to know they will just be backups at some of these places and being a starter with accolades and a network and education from a school like TU (or NT in our case) is longer term more valuable. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Again - Almost ALL of our transfers out of here in the past few years have not prospered at all. Take out the Murphy Twins, and the vast majority have just rotted away into obscurity. Sad. Could have been part of the solution here. 

Sounds like a chart that needs to be hanging on the wall of the locker room for all to see, especially at the end of the season.  (Of course, it needs a cover for when we're bringing in prospective transfers!)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Again - Almost ALL of our transfers out of here in the past few years have not prospered at all. Take out the Murphy Twins, and the vast majority have just rotted away into obscurity. Sad. Could have been part of the solution here. 

Hope they all got splinters on the bench while counting their $$ !

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't know, but Arkansas has been complaining lately about having the smallest NIL in the SEC.

That's a little surprising.  Media sources have been repeating how many more NIL dollars Coach Cal will have to work with at Arkansas compared to Kentucky.  I know, it's basketball, but still.

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

That's a little surprising.  Media sources have been repeating how many more NIL dollars Coach Cal will have to work with at Arkansas compared to Kentucky.  I know, it's basketball, but still.

The complaining I’ve heard relates to football. 

8 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

No NIL money because Jerry Jones is not contributing as much because he is too busy paying Dak $240,000,000 to throw INTs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

I get being bummed about losing guys like this if our team sucks, but we are 5-1 (FIVE AND ONE!!!).

The transfer portal has been good to us and can keep being good to us.

We are going to lose our top players every year, but we have a coach right now who is replacing the guys he loses, on average, with better guys. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I get being bummed about losing guys like this if our team sucks, but we are 5-1 (FIVE AND ONE!!!).

The transfer portal has been good to us and can keep being good to us.

We are going to lose our top players every year, but we have a coach right now who is replacing the guys he loses, on average, with better guys. 

Coach Morris said after last season the roster was mostly not "his guys", implying there wasn't buy in from everyone on the team then.   But coach found some great players in the Portal and hopefully can continue that along with developing the freshman he recruited. 

• 2 weeks later...