Memphis, Tulane and Army …the next three

Sig381

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Win the next three games and we might move into the top 25.

Memphis,Army and Tulane are ranked 26th,46th,and 49th with UNT 70th behind powerhouses Georgia Southern and UL Monroe.None of the 5 teams we have beaten have a winning record. In addition, 6 of the AAC teams are ranked from 108th to 132nd. You might be correct if we win the next 3 games ,but with the exception of those programs the AAC doesn't look very strong this year. All 3 of these teams ranked above us run the ball well, especially Army, so our defense needs to really step up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don't get the pessimism.  Last year's UNT team nearly beat Memphis and Tulane.  I think we're better than we were last year and both of them are not quite as good.  I expect that we should compete in both games and have a chance to pull out wins.

Army is another story just because their offense is so different you never really know what to expect going in.  Either way, we're going to be able to score on all three of these teams.  It'd be nice if we could get a RB or two back from injury so we're still not playing our 4th and 5th stringers.  We'll need to be able to run the ball better against all three teams if to do nothing more than give our defense a break.

this is the optimisim i have right now... we are definitely a better team than last year and I'm not sure Memphis has improved since last year... they improved on defense, but seemingly have taken a step back on offense

The next three games are games i do not have penciled in to lose individually, but taken back to back to back, make it difficult to see us navigating all three... if we flip a coin three times in a row will it show heads everytime? only time will tell

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

this is the optimisim i have right now... we are definitely a better team than last year and I'm not sure Memphis has improved since last year... they improved on defense, but seemingly have taken a step back on offense

The next three games are games i do not have penciled in to lose individually, but taken back to back to back, make it difficult to see us navigating all three... if we flip a coin three times in a row will it show heads everytime? only time will tell

Looking a little deeper, Memphis' 4 FBS wins are against teams that are 1-5, 1-5, 1-5 and 2-4.  They've beaten North Alabama, Troy, Florida St, MTSU and South Florida.  FSU is having one of the all-time train wreck seasons for them.  USF was expected to be decent coming into the season but they have massively underperformed.  The only team Memphis has faced with a winning record was Navy, who put up 56 points to beat them.  Memphis' defense looks scary on paper, otherwise. They've completely shut down almost every team's running game, with the exception of Navy who put up over 350 on the ground.

Our schedule lines up pretty close with theirs.  We've beaten exactly zero teams that have a winning record and got annihilated by the one that did.

I think this is a toss-up game and if we find a way to win it, then we roll into Homecoming with a ton of momentum and probably a great crowd to help the team out.  

• Upvote 5

I believe we have an advantage and we need to use it, Home Field.  Following a victory over the tigers we will have a sellout Homecoming crowd for the Tulane game.  A win on Homecoming guarantees a sellout for Army.  We do have a great stadium when we have a crowd, think the stand against Rice on Halloween or maybe the play against utsa, we can get the place ROCKING!!!  

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Holy cow.
NT wins 3 straight against some really bad teams, and all of a sudden we're looking ahead to being ranked after we beat 3 really good teams in a row?

Y'all have some short memories.   Let me bring you back down to Earth.  This is what happened last time we played a good team:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401636868/north-texas-texas-tech

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

Don’t bring us down yet and besides none of the upcoming teams are that good either, they have done what we have done, beaten teams they should have.  All of these teams are about to experience the same thing, playing teams with winning seasons.  Heck it is literally the middle of the season and we have a chance to make a statement, three of them by the way.  We shall see how things turnout, but HOPE springs eternal, or is it a trap?

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Holy cow.
NT wins 3 straight against some really bad teams, and all of a sudden we're looking ahead to being ranked after we beat 3 really good teams in a row?

Y'all have some short memories.   Let me bring you back down to Earth.  This is what happened last time we played a good team:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401636868/north-texas-texas-tech

I don’t disagree with you, but Army is ranked and their schedule is worse than ours.  Any team who is 8-1 is going to get consideration.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I don’t disagree with you, but Army is ranked and their schedule is worse than ours.  Any team who is 8-1 is going to get consideration.

You're assuming we're going to be 8-1.     I'm just here to tell you...   No way.   Are we watching the same team?   This defense is still struggling to say the least.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You're assuming we're going to be 8-1.     I'm just here to tell you...   No way.   Are we watching the same team?   This defense is still struggling to say the least.

I’m not assuming that.  You said “all of a sudden we’re looking ahead to being ranked after we beat 3 really good teams in a row.”  I was just stating why I thought it was realistic for people to think we could be ranked if that happened.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I’m not assuming that.  You said “all of a sudden we’re looking ahead to being ranked after we beat 3 really good teams in a row.”  I was just stating why I thought it was realistic to think we could be ranked if that happened.

Gotcha.   
I was speaking as some here seem to be thinking.  Several sound like they're already packing bags & pricing tickets to the playoff.
Yes, of course an 8-1 team would be getting votes, no matter who they've played/beaten.

• Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Holy cow.

negativewavespng - ResourcefulManager

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don't get the pessimism.  Last year's UNT team nearly beat Memphis and Tulane.  I think we're better than we were last year and both of them are not quite as good.  I expect that we should compete in both games and have a chance to pull out wins.

Army is another story just because their offense is so different you never really know what to expect going in.  Either way, we're going to be able to score on all three of these teams.  It'd be nice if we could get a RB or two back from injury so we're still not playing our 4th and 5th stringers.  We'll need to be able to run the ball better against all three teams if to do nothing more than give our defense a break.

The pessimism is due to the slow starts in the last couple of games and the perceived lack of preparation by the coaching staff to start the game and have the team ready. Not to mention the last defensive performance, continued stupid penalties (pulling 14 points off the board), and a history of getting kicked square in the nuts any time we have a chance to take the next step. Additionally, this is the best QB we have faced this year, not some scrub like the last three games. 
Need any more reasons?

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

The pessimism is due to the slow starts in the last couple of games and the perceived lack of preparation by the coaching staff to start the game and have the team ready. Not to mention the last defensive performance, continued stupid penalties (pulling 14 points off the board), and a history of getting kicked square in the nuts any time we have a chance to take the next step. Additionally, this is the best QB we have faced this year, not some scrub like the last three games. 
Need any more reasons?

Right.  And all those things were there last year too.  Only worse.  And we were competitive then somehow through all the mess.  I am beginning to expect it.  This feels very much like an Art Briles Baylor team to me.  Not necessarily in the schemes, but in the wild swings; periods of alternating dominance or ineptitude and just wildly entertaining, edge of your seat games every week.  We’re not as good as those teams yet, but it seems like it’s building.

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

Anyone who thinks Army can't win a big game should refresh their memory with this score that still gives Cougar Queen nightmares.

2018 Armed Forces Bowl - Wikipedia

I mean, any team could win a big game.  Outside of the coaching staff, 2018 was an entirely different Army roster ago.  

Last year, with some of the same roster we are currently talking about, Army lost 62-0 to LSU.

So, whatever.

31 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I mean, any team could win a big game.  Outside of the coaching staff, 2018 was an entirely different Army roster ago.  

Last year, with some of the same roster we are currently talking about, Army lost 62-0 to LSU.

So, whatever.

so you're predicting a 62-0 win by NT?

• Oh Boy! 1