Memphis, Tulane and Army …the next three

Sig381

I always give the Mean Green the benefit of the doubt and hope they win every game. We must stay humble and realistic. The defense has improved this year a tick. The next three game is and will be the measuring stick for the year. I will be happy if we win 1 out of the next three. I hope for 2 out of 3, 3 out of 3  would be amazing. We will need our fans and the Denton community to show up and be loud at games. We have a great loud stadium when we can be. GMG

• Upvote 7

We should be able to win 2 out of 3 if we play up to our potential for 4 quarters. With the exception of Tulane, all the wins of our next three opponents have come against losing teams like ours have. Tulane beat Louisiana, which is the only team with a winning record. They played OU pretty close on the road and lost to K-State by one TD. Not discounting Memphis and Army, but they have not beaten anyone of significance. The same can be said of us so those two should at least be toss ups. What scares me is how much we have let other teams score. We ultimately win, because we outscore them. That is not a formula for sustained success.

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I say two out of three would also make me happy, and I always like our chances at home. But I want us to beat Memphis so we have the fired up homecoming crowd against Tulane. And I want to beat Tulane. And after winning those two games, I want us to beat a ranked Army in front of 30,000 people. So I guess we need to win all three.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I say two out of three would also make me happy, and I always like our chances at home. But I want us to beat Memphis so we have the fired up homecoming crowd against Tulane. And I want to beat Tulane. And after winning those two games, I want us to beat a ranked Army in front of 30,000 people. So I guess we need to win all three.

Memphis is the most winnable game. If we win, vs Tulane may be the G5 game of the week.  Then Army will likely come to Denton undefeated!  These next three weeks are huge as to the state of our program. It’s fun, though. Beat Memphis!  GMG!

• Upvote 6

42 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Huge opportunity to elevate the program's image with the next 3 games.   

8-1 vs 5-4.   

Opportunity Is Here GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

An interesting rumor is that one of the fears for the playoff committee is that Navy and Army both go undefeated and play for the American championship. Then, the team that wins gets the invite and loses the following week in the Army-Navy game.

We should do our best to allay those fears.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

An interesting rumor is that one of the fears for the playoff committee is that Navy and Army both go undefeated and play for the American championship. Then, the team that wins gets the invite and loses the following week in the Army-Navy game.

Of course I want to spoil this, but I’d be a fantastic consolation prize🤣🤣🤣

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

Well I hope our preparation will be better than our open week before FAU. 

It did earn us this from ESPN:

I have to provide another honorable mention section since there were too many games that deserved mention:

• FCS: Central Arkansas 34, West Georgia 33
 No. 18 Kansas State 31, Colorado 28
 Nevada 42, Oregon State 37
 North Texas 41, Florida Atlantic 37
 No. 22 Pitt 17, California 15
 No. 8 Tennessee 23, Florida 17

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/41775916/college-football-week-7-recap-top-10-storylines-rest-way

• Upvote 2

I don't get the pessimism.  Last year's UNT team nearly beat Memphis and Tulane.  I think we're better than we were last year and both of them are not quite as good.  I expect that we should compete in both games and have a chance to pull out wins.

Army is another story just because their offense is so different you never really know what to expect going in.  Either way, we're going to be able to score on all three of these teams.  It'd be nice if we could get a RB or two back from injury so we're still not playing our 4th and 5th stringers.  We'll need to be able to run the ball better against all three teams if to do nothing more than give our defense a break.

• Upvote 3