Seth Littrell Update

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Thanks for asking. I have said why but across multiple threads so I guess I will try to sum up succinctly. 
1) I thought we could do better with the money we had available and preferred a more experienced coach. Either a former FBS HC or a coach with more HC experience or greater lower level success. Many of the most successful FCS call up coaches have had real hardware before getting the call. 
2) Caponi. We greatly overpaid for a guy with one or two years as a DC at D3 (iirc). We easily could have gotten someone with real DC experience if we were going to pay the most of G5 schools. Obviously the 3-3-5 didn’t work here but perhaps an experienced coordinator would have recognized that earlier. 
3) Morris is the HC and OC. The HC should largely be a CEO (although clearly not in the Charlotte sense of it) not a play caller, in my opinion. He should be managing the entire team and game, not trying to figure out why that second down call didn’t work. Might have more ability and time to work on the defensive struggles. 
4) Morris as OC is too aggressive for me. Going for it on fourth in our own territory with this defense is insane to me. I get that he does it because he doesn’t believe in his defense (see point two) but give the shitty defense 80 yards to defend and not 40, ffs. I know the defense sucks so he is thinking to try to strike and score more, but the offensive side of the ball is constantly crippled with injuries. Why do we think a patchwork OL and fourth string RBs and second/third string WRs and TEs give us a better chance? You punt that ball every time, sorry. The hurry up tempo BS is not effective. The few times we get a positive result from that is outweighed by the lack of rest for our exhausted, shitty defense. We don’t have the defense that can ensure this all game, especially with the injuries. Again, a thing a HC should be reigning in an aggressive OC. But they are the same person, so…

Hope those reasons are clear. I don’t claim to be a guru or have all the answers. Just my personal opinion based on my observations. Some of these things are just preference or gut feelings. But that’s how we as humans generally make our decisions, right? 

(on a side note, why do we have so many injuries?)

I will give you number 2, but if you have a top 15 offense IN THE NATION. I think complaining about that side of the ball is just nit picking. I know these are just stats, but if we had even a defense ranked in the top 80, we would be winning this conference. 

I know you said the others probably effect #2, I get that.

• Upvote 1