Seth Littrell Update

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I was not a fan of Seth but right now OU has their top five receivers out and most of their offensive line has been banged up. So if we want to make reasons why we struggle we can't overlook when another team loses this much depth.

I see you’ve read their cop out of the week. At this point in the season, literally every team has had to navigate depth chart issues. The truth is, it doesn’t matter who the receivers are they don’t have a QB who can get them the ball. OU’s just not deep enough to compete with the top of the SEC this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

33 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I see you’ve read their cop out of the week. At this point in the season, literally every team has had to navigate depth chart issues. The truth is, it doesn’t matter who the receivers are they don’t have a QB who can get them the ball. OU’s just not deep enough to compete with the top of the SEC this year.

Seth and UNT administration apologist can make all the excuses in the world but his body of coaching work is mediocre.   He hasn’t demonstrated he can develop a QB.  We were stupid to give him multiple extensions.  We were a good running team no defense when he arrive and the same when he left.  We also paid him and his staff the most we ever had but below 0.500 against FBS competition, no bowl wins or conference championships.  That IS NOT GOOD not even for UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I will say that it is interesting that his post-game press conferences weren't as intense as his press scrums as the OC for OU. He would get huffy at some pointed questions from Vito, but these dudes were grilling him in comparison. 

🤨 Makes you think he thought the standard here was 0.500 and Vito was out of pocket for asking tough questions.  Giving a guy multiple extensions and raises with no trophies would make many coaches feel that way.  And maybe for the long suffering loyal fans it might be, but if you are building a program worthy of a large state research university and the flagship university of a university system it isn't.   

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Similar to our transfers, i don't know why people on this board feel the need to "update" on Seth... the man did a good job at UNT and levelled our program. I think if you feel upset about his tenure it's most likely because his salary outweighed his performance. Did i think he was a good coach? yes. Do i think he was good enough for close to $2MM a year? no. 

Also, looking back at his tenure, i don't think there was ever one thing thing that he just didnt do well (besides the generic 'he didnt perform in big games') and i definitely don't think his offense was the problem around here.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Did i think he was a good coach?

Anywhere else outside of maybe programs at small private schools with no history of FBS success would fans be calling Seth a good coach.  Mediocre is NOT bad.  Good would mean winning a few more than you lose when on field against programs with comparable resources.   If he was at Rice, UL Monroe, UTEP, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, FAU, FIU or Arkansas State an opinion that he was a good coach would be defendable.  And it is no coincidence that some of those teams I just listed were the teams he had a winning record against.  Any FBS program wanting good consistent good performances that hire him as HC will likely be disappointed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Anywhere else outside of maybe programs at small private schools with no history of FBS success would fans be calling Seth a good coach.  Mediocre is NOT bad.  Good would mean winning a few more than you lose when on field against programs with comparable resources.   If he was at Rice, UL Monroe, UTEP, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, FAU, FIU or Arkansas State an opinion that he was a good coach would be defendable.  And it is no coincidence that some of those teams I just listed were the teams he had a winning record against.  Any FBS program wanting good consistent good performances that hire him as HC will likely be disappointed. 

Rice, FAU, Arkansas State,WKY, and maybe FIU are arguably historically better programs than us. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Big Z said:

Is this legit? I don't see any other articles about this 

He wasn't gone as of 30 minutes ago. And according to the OU student paper, they don't think he'll get fired during the season as OU has had a LOT of injuries. But he is clearly on the hot seat! 

https://www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-mailbag-seth-littrell-joe-jon-finley-michael-hawkins-jr-sec/article_5c3b8954-8a37-11ef-a0b4-e77295a4a446.html

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

In the few minutes of the game I watched, the dude OU is trotting out there at QB has no clue how to play on the stage he was on.   Dude looked completely lost out there.     Tough to execute any offense when you don't have a QB.

You could almost rank teams by their QB play. 

I don’t mind the updates because it helps us evaluate our own hiring and decision making.

Seth had a good offense here. For me his biggest failures were not winning enough and that was because he couldn’t find a good DC, and couldn’t find a quality QB. Reffett/Cosh/Bennett was a bad transition and it meant he couldn’t get a good defense for when the offense started clicking in 22. 

I think a good portion of the offense being good under Morris was because Seth left a nice full panty, so to speak. The poor defense also is credited in part to his work. Cupboard was bare. 

Again continuing the comparison, Morris had to add 77 new guys. Swapped the QB with better results. The leading pass catchers and rushers are all his guys. The defensive standouts are mostly new guys as well.

Just means that the decision was made at the right time and we didn’t choose too bad of a replacement (so far). 

• Upvote 3