Tom Hermann presser notes for UNT game

https://www.fauowlsnest.com/news/view/football/fau-coach-tom-herman_8.htm?filter=*%2C!1783%2C!1784

FAU Coach Tom Herman fielded questions Tuesday afternoon as FAU came out of the bye week and prepared for a matchup with North Texas on ESPN 2 this Saturday.

The Owls are dealing with injury issues at receiver, but they have healed up at other positions and head into this matchup with a healthy QB room and DB room which over the past 2 weeks has been an issue.

Herman discusses a variety of niche topics from the need of an IPF, the culture of the program keeping players in the program, the effects of hurricane Milton on practice and more.

The Owls head into this game optimistic having seen what they look like at their best in the second half against Wagner, but North Texas will provide a new challenge that will show if FAU has turned a page heading into conference play.

Herman on what he expects out of North Texas

“Coach has got them going really good. They're four and one, led mostly by their offense. Chandler Morris at quarterback, a young man that I saw in high school, heck of a player in high school, and was a big time recruit and got a ton of respect for his dad, former head coach at SMU, Arkansas offensive coordinator at Clemson and Chad Morris. So football family, anytime you get those guys, you got a coach's kid at quarterback that was whatever he was, a four star talent wise, who's a coach's kid who's now in his sixth year, That's a that's a really, really smart dude back there taking snaps for you, got 16 touchdowns in five games. That's by my math. That's over three a game. But he has thrown, you know, six picks, so that's over one a game. So we've got to disrupt him at the end of the day. If he has a good day, we're not going to have a good day. We need to make sure that, one, we cover the guys really well, but two, that he feels that kind of pressure I said on the TV show, that I've been around some really, really good quarterbacks. Had to coach against some too, and none of them can throw it from their back, and very few of them can throw it at their best when guys are breathing out their neck so he's the key defensively. We've got to make him feel uncomfortable, and part of that is making sure guys aren't open down the field,” Herman said.

• Puking Eagle 1

Interesting that they like UTSA don't have a true IPF like we do but he doesn't mention them.

Herman on the need of an IPF and schools willingness to make one

“Yeah, and I, and I know that Brian White our athletic director, shares that vision with me. You know, we made the jump into this conference, I hope with eyes very wide open. You know, of the 14 teams in this conference, us and Charlotte are the only two that don't either have an indoor practice facility or plans to get one. And so we're working really hard behind the scenes. I know Brian and Mary are, and it's fun to see that and then understand. And the university, hey, we decided to be in this conference. We better act like it, you know. And so although it has affected these last few weeks, it's been nice to see people on campus acknowledge like, Hey, this is something we need, and we need it in a hurry and something temporarily, even, you know, by next off season. So I think the wheels are definitely in motion, I don't want to over say, nothing's been promised to me, but I am confident that everybody that needs to know how important it is does know how important it is, and is working really hard to make sure that we get there,” Herman said.

• Haha 1

• Harry featured this topic