UTEP and the MWC are deep in discussions

56 minutes ago, NT80 said:

It seems like an easy geographical addition, but not sure how much football power/value they add. 

Wasn't UTEP in the WAC with a lot of the these same schools before they (MWC schools) broke away?

One of their problems was the previous president didn't really care about sports. The new president seems to be more receptive to trying to build the program up. I will say this: if UTEP can get to even 7 wins a season, they will probably average 40K.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I love this for UTEP. They have been down in the dumps for a while and that fanbase still sticks by them. Even joining a gutted MWC could be the jolt that program needs.

Totally agree.  If this happens for them, I'd be thrilled.    But if I'm MWC, I demand they invest more in their programs.   Can't just allow them to coast doing bare minimum like they have been.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Totally agree.  If this happens for them, I'd be thrilled.    But if I'm MWC, I demand they invest more in their programs.   Can't just allow them to coast doing bare minimum like they have been.

Heard some people out this way saying that they believe that's part of the condition if UTEP is to join that there would be additional investments into the programs

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Some whisperings out here in the West Texas town of El Paso that the Mountain West will be announcing some additions today. We shall see but every day because more curious for the PAC.

Think Texas State is next for MWC. Idk what the Pac is doing but they are running out of options unless they break the bank for Memphis

Check that.. looks like Tarleton might be the choice.

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Haha 1

UTEP added because MWC got to end of alphabet , and yes, the Miners were part of the WAC that was left behind 23 years ago. Tonight 3 of Texas schools mentioned as MWC targets are playing . TSU vs Troy @ 6:00 on ESPNU, and SHS vs UTEP at 8:00 on CBSSN. The recent rank of 134 D1 football programs has UTEP at 131,TSU at 78, and SHS at 77. UNT is  ranked 72, and AAC programs remaining on our schedule are Temple,129,FAU, 112, UTSA, 99,ECU,73,Army,60,Tulane,49, and Memphis,30. Our last 4 games are a challenge.

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You mean like Rice?   AAC should demand more from them than just a name.