Tech vs Tulsa

NT93

Ok, that’s an intentionally misleading thread title, but hear me out.

First off, if you read this as me downplaying how bad the beatdown was in Lubbock then I’m not expressing what I mean very well.  It was a bad, bad loss.

Now, to my point.  First off, I feel like Tech came to play against us.  If they play like they did against us, they will win a lot of games this year, and I don’t think we’re beating them on that particular Saturday regardless.  That being said, we made it waaaay easier than it should have been.  The minute or so stretch where we missed a chip shot field goal and threw 3 interceptions (two of which were flukes and one of which was a pick 6) essentially ended the game.  They were running the ball down our throats, but the game turned on our mistakes.  

Contrast that with last night.  The game changed after they pinned us inside the one yard line and we went 99 yards in 3 plays.  Yes, they also threw a pick during our 24 point outburst in the 2nd quarter, but it wasn’t a fluke interception.  

I guess my point is that we turned both of those games into blowouts.  At Tech, our miscues turned the game and versus Tulsa, our making plays turned the game.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Ok, that’s an intentionally misleading thread title, but hear me out.

First off, if you read this as me downplaying how bad the beatdown was in Lubbock then I’m not expressing what I mean very well.  It was a bad, bad loss.

Now, to my point.  First off, I feel like Tech came to play against us.  If they play like they did against us, they will win a lot of games this year, and I don’t think we’re beating them on that particular Saturday regardless.  That being said, we made it waaaay easier than it should have been.  The minute or so stretch where we missed a chip shot field goal and threw 3 interceptions (two of which were flukes and one of which was a pick 6) essentially ended the game.  They were running the ball down our throats, but the game turned on our mistakes.  

Contrast that with last night.  The game changed after they pinned us inside the one yard line and we went 99 yards in 3 plays.  Yes, they also threw a pick during our 24 point outburst in the 2nd quarter, but it wasn’t a fluke interception.  

I guess my point is that we turned both of those games into blowouts.  At Tech, our miscues turned the game and versus Tulsa, our making plays turned the game.  

It was 99 yards in 2 plays.  

But your point still stands. 

Edited by emmitt01

25 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

It was 99 yards in 2 plays.  

But your point still stands. 

Dammit!  That’s what I thought, but I swore the telecast said 3 play, 99 yard drive.  I thought I’d missed a play.

Tech just kicked our ass. Nothing we can do about it but get better and learn from it. It could actually be a blessing in disguise since it brought about our new 3-4 alignment. That’s if we keep playing good defense. 

Edited by 3_n_out
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Tulsa isn't TTech in the same way SFA isn't TTech. 

Every team we've beaten has a losing(ish) record (partly thanks to us, hell yeah)

We are in the honeymoon phase equivalent of knocking up the ugly girl after a drunken night out and being forced to committing to it.

We need to beat a team of substance. 

1-4 Wyoming 

2-2 SFA

2-3 USA

2-3 Tulsa

4-1 Tech

I'm enjoying the ride as much as anyone, but we have always struggled beating a good team. Let's get it done. We look much improved, Memphis will be our big test on how true it is

Edited by Udomann
  • Eye Roll 2

14 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Every team we've beaten has a losing(ish) record (partly thanks to us, hell yeah)

We are in the honeymoon phase equivalent of knocking up the ugly girl after a drunken night out and being forced to committing to it.

1-4 Wyoming 

2-2 SFA

2-3 USA

2-3 Tulsa

4-1 Tech

I'm enjoying the ride as much as anyone, but we have always struggled beating a good team. Let's get it done. We look much improved, Memphis will be our big test on how true it is

Never heard SMU complain about their soft schedule last year. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Udomann said:

1-4 Wyoming 

2-2 SFA

2-3 USA

2-3 Tulsa

4-1 Tech

South Alabama is a good team. If Lopez plays against Ohio, they beat them instead of losing to them by a touchdown. Then they had to play at LSU. ESPN’s matchup predictor gives South Alabama a 65% chance or better to win each of their remaining games, except at Louisiana where it’s 55%.

When the season is over we’ll look back at that opener as one of our better non-conference wins in recent years. But definitely get your point. We have a good team. Bad or average teams don’t do what we just saw. We have 3 good teams left on our schedule. Hope we make those opportunities count now that we have the team to do so.

• Upvote 2

Some of you will play whatever mental gymnastics you can to dismiss anything good happening on Bonnie Brae. They are coming off one of the most convincing wins we have seen around here in a really long time, they’re 4-1, and some of you can’t just sit back and be jazzed about that. I don’t get it.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Some of you will play whatever mental gymnastics you can to dismiss anything good happening on Bonnie Brae. They are coming off one of the most convincing wins we have seen around here in a really long time, they’re 4-1, and some of you can’t just sit back and be jazzed about that. I don’t get it.

It's called a controlled dive. Been here long enough to get excited and get crushed the next week. I'm excited about 4-1. But history says we shouldn't celebrate too soon.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Bingo.  This team hasn’t just won their last two games, they’ve made the 4th quarter of each of them irrelevant.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

16 minutes ago, Udomann said:

It's called a controlled dive. Been here long enough to get excited and get crushed the next week. I'm excited about 4-1. But history says we shouldn't celebrate too soon.

Oddly enough, I think both of these can be correct to some degree.  I feel like there are some who fit DentonLurkers description to a T, and others who are moreso just cautiously optimistic…which is understandable given our history.  I find myself in this camp.

• Upvote 1