Are the DMN sports folks SMU homers?

Ken14

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

Actually my DMN had nothing about any game that kicked off later than 6:00. And yes, its a homer paper just like the Ft. Worth Star Telegram is about TCU. What should we expect? SMU is Dallas's team. Just look at their uniforms.

Where are we in the DRC?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Someone please tell me why SMU and others get most of the coverage in the DMN sports page??? UNT is literally on the back page before high school coverage…I subscribe to the DMN and have for many years; my question is: UNT is a home town team as much as SMU, we have many more alumni that live in the DFW area than SMU could ever hope to have. I would say the home town teams in the DFW area are: SMU, UNT and TCU…please write the editor of the sports department as I have, reminding him, we’re here and we should be equally recognized as much as SMU and TCU. We have more alumni than SMU and TCU combined…FYI, the editor and others email address is listed on the second page on the DMN.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Actually my DMN had nothing about any game that kicked off later than 6:00. And yes, its a homer paper just like the Ft. Worth Star Telegram is about TCU. What should we expect? SMU is Dallas's team. Just look at their uniforms.

$mut is not in Dallas.   University Park. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Ken14 said:

After seeing this morning's Sports Day, smoo gets top billing and two articles and we get 4 or 5 pages back. WTH? 

But they're in the ACC!  Its like a Power-ish conference as long as we pretend the P4 isn't really just the P2, the Pretender2, and the rest of us G6'ers.  

1 hour ago, UNT78 said:

Someone please tell me why SMU and others get most of the coverage in the DMN sports page??? UNT is literally on the back page before high school coverage…I subscribe to the DMN and have for many years; my question is: UNT is a home town team as much as SMU, we have many more alumni that live in the DFW area than SMU could ever hope to have. I would say the home town teams in the DFW area are: SMU, UNT and TCU…please write the editor of the sports department as I have, reminding him, we’re here and we should be equally recognized as much as SMU and TCU. We have more alumni than SMU and TCU combined…FYI, the editor and others email address is listed on the second page on the DMN.

Let's agree to disagree . It worked well with my x-wife. In my opinion UNT is no more a Dallas home town team that it is in FT.Worth. If we were would the level of coverage that SMU and TCU get in their home towns.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Is it tho?is it showtime GIF by Shameless

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

By this logic I should see news about UT-D’s chess team on the DMN front page.  They’re Dallas adjacent and people care about about just as much as they do SMU

The local DFW media is just all in for both SMU and TCU to do well. I think it’s actually because so many are alums here of UNT, but it embarrasses them. The other day, for example, on the Ticket, with both George Dunham and Craig Miller listening to their guest, Brian Jones, the CBS Sports college guy they have on weekly, Jones called us North Texas State, as in Texas Tech murdered North Texas State. Neither of those guys even corrected it, just kept listening. 

Think of the average North Texas grad. They probably don’t even care or follow our teams. They probably loathe the existence of the program that they had to pay for as a student, which they are still paying on. If they like sports, they’re all in on some Power Team. And the ones in DFW have some dream that they wished of going somewhere like SMU or TCU. It is what it is…

• Pissed 1

41 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The local DFW media is just all in for both SMU and TCU to do well. I think it’s actually because so many are alums here of UNT, but it embarrasses them. The other day, for example, on the Ticket, with both George Dunham and Craig Miller listening to their guest, Brian Jones, the CBS Sports college guy they have on weekly, Jones called us North Texas State, as in Texas Tech murdered North Texas State. Neither of those guys even corrected it, just kept listening. 

Think of the average North Texas grad. They probably don’t even care or follow our teams. They probably loathe the existence of the program that they had to pay for as a student, which they are still paying on. If they like sports, they’re all in on some Power Team. And the ones in DFW have some dream that they wished of going somewhere like SMU or TCU. It is what it is…

Hell, while driving up to the tt watching party, I was listening to the ticket. They were reading off all of the local teams and their upcoming games for the day. Well, not really ALL of the local teams. 

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

By this logic I should see news about UT-D’s chess team on the DMN front page.  They’re Dallas adjacent and people care about about just as much as they do SMU

Well if all these 10's of thousands of UNT grads in the metroplex actually cared about out athletics perhaps we would get more ink. Regarding UT-D's chess team, I read in the Tyler newspaper [front page] they they lost in a match with an East Texas checkers team who wore red and black flannel shirts. Evidently the chess team, in black tails ,felt over dressed and out of place which caused they to lose concentration.