Is this the best team UNT has ever had?

Well, let me start my answer (or non-answer) with some perspective. Imagine how that game would have gone last night had we not had SO MANY STUPID FRIGGIN PENALTIES.

This is a question that really should be re-visited at the end of the season. Or between the last game and the bowl game. If there is no bowl game, then the question is moot.

What it looks like to me is that the coaching staff is still plugging-in new guys in to see how they perform in a game situation. My observation through the years has been that, by and large, people who practice well usually do well in a game. However, there are those players who come alive at game time and thrive in that environment. 

On offense, the "plugging in the new guys" tends to be the receivers and RB's.  I wasn't terribly impressed with Carnes (#7) in the beginning of the season, but I was last night. The same goes for "0" Mr. Conwright.

On defense, they seem to be mainly plugging in new DL players and looking at how the new guys do in different situations. Same for DB's. I noticed that they are giving 89 (Dawkins a senior transfer) more playing time, as well as 46 (Lamperi) who is a true freshman.

Our OL is still a works in progress. They pretty much kept Morris safe on passing downs, but they really got stuffed on running plays.....especially in the first half. We cannot have a repeat of that vs Tulane/Memphis/Army.

As to comparing this team to others. I would throw in the 1988 "flying wishbone" team to the mix. You know, the one that beat Texas....and Tech....and Rice. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

As of now, I'd give a pretty clear edge to the 2018 team.  They started the season 6-1, and their losses were close.

Until the bowl game, that is.

If this team wins a bowl game, then yes, they will be better than any team Seth ever had.

That team was just never the same after that La Tech loss. Maybe that could be chalked up to Seth rumor mill factors, but that team just wasn’t very good after that 4-0 start.

Only went 5-4 from there while struggling to beat a 1-11 UTEP team by 3, struggling to beat a 3-9 UTSA team by 3, playing neck and neck for 3 quarters at home against a 2-11 Rice team, and losing to a 4-8 ODU team after starting up 28-0 on them. Week in and week out in that second half of the season the execution was just really underwhelming given the expectation that team set early on.

Which speaks to the point of “it’s too early” with this team. If they play like they have the last two weeks (or even like they did against South Alabama), they probably go 8-4 or maybe even 9-3 against this schedule. But just glad we’re even having this type of conversation two years into Morris’ tenure.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Do you think FAU is that much better than Tulsa? They lost to Rice. I think it could be a trap game though. Looking forward to Memphis. I think they play the way they have the last 2 weeks, FAU will be beat and 5-1 going to Memphis would be a great game to see if they have taken the next step.

FAU did not lose to Rice. Also, I'm not so sure that if the schedules between FAU and UNT were reversed that the records wouldn't be either. It's too early to say right now. I think UNT will be competing for the AAC title this year but I need to see more games before I can feel comfortable with that.

• Eye Roll 1

52 minutes ago, EagleTech said:

FAU did not lose to Rice. Also, I'm not so sure that if the schedules between FAU and UNT were reversed that the records wouldn't be either. It's too early to say right now. I think UNT will be competing for the AAC title this year but I need to see more games before I can feel comfortable with that.

FAU is bad this year and I see this as a must win game. Our next 3 games are with Memphis, Tulane, and Army. All three run the ball very well, as does Navy, and I am doubtful our defense is up to the task at hand. Worst case is I don't want to go into the last 3 games of the season needing to win 2 in order to become bowl eligible.

1 hour ago, rws69 said:

The 1966-1967-1968 teams remain the best I have seen.

Agree.  These are the first teams I saw as a North Texas fan and are still the best IMO.  Lots of pro players came out of that group!  I can only hope to live long enough to see us get back to that level of play.