Fine, Rogers, Morris

mgfan

At this point, I would say Mason is the best of all time in the modern era. I will say this much that many may not like: I think a lot of Mason's stats were based on getting yardage in blowout wins and blowout losses where he probably should have been sitting to avoid injuries. I do think Seth took many opportunities to buffer the stats.

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I also agree on Rogers. I think Fine, Morris, and Rogers were/are all very good college quarterbacks and I like the conversation of evaluating their quality here because I think it is a really good discussion, as long as we are just evaluating quality. Because if the conversation is “who accomplished more as a Mean Green QB” then obviously the answer is Fine and there’s no room for discussion regarding the Chandlers.

Not sure of the exact number attributable to Fine, but we were sacked 136 times in the 52 games he was on the roster. Call it 120 sacks on Fine in the 49 games he played. That’s about 2.5 sacks taken per game by Fine. And it wasn’t just because we had a bad offensive line. He held on to the ball too long at times throughout his career. Obviously he made up for it, with his performance on the drive being an example that he could get the ball out when he needed to.

This year our line hasn’t exactly been the pillar of consistency in pass protection or with health. Still, Morris has been sacked just 5 times in 5 games and beyond that he just has a better feel on when to climb, when to get out, and having that internal clock to know when to get the ball out. Not to mention doing this with two of our top three outside receivers missing a lot of time. Throwing to Guyton and Bussey on the outside compared to Blair Conwright and Nick Rempert is a material factor to consider as well.

And also, if we’re just evaluating quality of play, Morris has mostly faced bad defenses here but he does have a 461 yard passing performance in Waco against a highly ranked Baylor team on his resume. Again, if we’re evaluating the body of work in a Mean Green career there is no argument. But if we’re just evaluating who is the better QB, that opens up going off of all available sample. Morris’ TCU career he completed 65.5% of his passes and is right at the same number here at UNT, which leads credence that this isn’t a fluke what we have seen in just five games. He has three 400-yard passing performances in his 14 career college starts which is as many as Fine had in 48.

Definitely understand the desire for more sample size to solidify any stance, even qualitative. Morris will never surpass Fine’s UNT totals. These three are all really good Mean Green QBs and they all have put together really high levels of QB play here that feel and are pretty comparable. That’s why there’s a discussion, which is subject to and absolutely allowed to change.

I admittedly didn't consider CMorris' TCU career, just like I didn't consider CRogers' Cal or ULM carreers.

That Baylor game for CMorris is definitely a career highlight for him, for sure.  Fantastic game.
CRogers' breakout year at ULM was fantastic as well.   40 total TDs in 1 season!  That's as many as CMorris has had in his entire collegiate career.    Mason Fine's 2017 season has just 2yds less than CMorris' entire collegiate career.

CMorris obviously has tools and moxie.  I look forward to seeing what he can do here.   I just can't put him over either of the other 2 yet.   Put the team on his back and will out a win against Memphis, Tulane, or Army (all 3 would be nice! 😁) and that would put a lot of weight on his side of this proverbial 3-sided see-saw.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1