Bosses are firing Gen Z workers months after hiring them

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Divorce rates are at an all-time high

And that's the kids fault? 

Also, they are not. They reached 40 year lows during Covid and only have a miniscule uptick since

https://www.bgsu.edu/ncfmr/resources/data/family-profiles/loo-divorce-rate-US-geographic-variation-2022-fp-23-24.html#:~:text=After reaching a 40-year,increase from 2021 to 2022.

After reaching a 40-year record low for two consecutive years (2020 and 2021 at 14.0 divorces per 1,000 married women), the divorce rate rose slightly in 2022 to 14.56 divorces per 1,000 married women.

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

as well as teen depression and suicide,

Yeah because those things were openly discussed and dealt with properly in the generations before them? Try and tell your parents you have anxiety or depression in 1978 and they laugh you out of the room. 

Edited by Coffee and TV

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The number of youths with mental issues that decide to post delusional manifestos and go shoot up people and places is 100% higher than when I was a kid. I don’t have to link some bar graph to prove it, I’ve lived it. 

Did you live through all the race riots that white people started when they had to start sharing water fountains with black people too? 

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

I"m definitely not against the kids, here.  More about finding reasons to be better parents and stop misplaced blame on institutions (sometimes, it is well placed, but I dont' see that here). 

I'll read your links.  

Yeah because those things were openly discussed and dealt with properly in the generations before them? Try and tell your parents you have anxiety or depression in 1978 and they laugh you out of the room. 

Just my 0.02, but just because a society has gotten better about recognizing these things, doesn't mean we are better about addressing them.  It strikes me more as, an avoidant generation.  "I'll leave you alone to be you.", or "Okay bud, you do you just don't take away my peace."  Sometimes that's what someone needs.  Sometimes, it's not.

Sorry for your pain, bud! This was not my experience growing up at all in the 70s and 80s.  My parents, as well as theirs and the great-grands, were pretty good about sitting at tables and hearing people out, even if they didn't know how to respond.  At least we all felt like we mattered and had a voice.

Again, I'll read your links.  But I think we can all still agree, more dinners together, less tablets.  More convos and eye contact, less Netflix and internet.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

Also, they are not. They reached 40 year lows during Covid and only have a miniscule uptick since

https://www.bgsu.edu/ncfmr/resources/data/family-profiles/loo-divorce-rate-US-geographic-variation-2022-fp-23-24.html#:~:text=After reaching a 40-year,increase from 2021 to 2022.

Marriage rates are at a 50 year low though. Less kids are being raised in 2-parent households.

https://www.bgsu.edu/ncfmr/resources/data/family-profiles/loo-marriage-rate-US-geographic-variation-2022-fp-23-23.html

My opinion is this generation, close to my generation as I'm in my 30s, aren't being taught accountability, organizational skills, work ethic, and communication skills. I see it with my step-kids whose schools allow them to turn-in work whenever with no penalty even if well past the deadline. These kids also don't know how to speak to a human face-to-face or over the phone unless it's written messages. They think it's awkward. I've had to tell my wife to make them order their own food when we go out because they don't want to speak to a stranger. My teenage step-daughter would literally hide behind us a couple years ago or make her brothers order for her. Yesterday she was so proud because she called a help desk herself for login assistance for an online account. She's 17 and is afraid of people. School? Online. Talk to friends? Text or social media. We're failing our kids. I'm trying to do better. We need to better prepare our kids for the real world. They're not learning basic skills that are critical in maintaining a job.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just my 0.02, but just because a society has gotten better about recognizing these things, doesn't mean we are better about addressing them.  It strikes me more as, an avoidant generation.  "I'll leave you alone to be you.", or "Okay bud, you do you just don't take away my peace."  Sometimes that's what someone needs.  Sometimes, it's not.

That's kinda my point, we've simply become much better at recognizing those things, kids learning what those feelings are and mean, and therefore the statistics for them are definitely gonna show to be much higher than the past. 

27 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Sorry for your pain, bud! This was not my experience growing up at all in the 70s and 80s.  My parents, as well as theirs and the great-grands, were pretty good about sitting at tables and hearing people out, even if they didn't know how to respond.

I'm not really in any pain, I just brought up my stepdad as an example to all of the "swat your kids more" posts, and how that generally just breeds more anger and violence. Since moving away from that kind of discipline we've only seen youth violent crime fall, same for a lot of other statistics that one can measure youth behavior with, so I certainly disagree with the notion that kids aren't punished enough. They may lack for certain things, and maybe work discipline is one of them, but they also seem to be the generation that doesn't take BS from people in situations where and when they don't have to.  

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No.

Ah. Well, they certainly happened too, just read about Ole Miss when James Meredith dared stepped foot on campus. Then for 40 years they hooted and hollered for black guys on the playing field all while waving confederate flags. 

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

These kids also don't know how to speak to a human face-to-face or over the phone unless it's written messages. They think it's awkward. I've had to tell my wife to make them order their own food when we go out because they don't want to speak to a stranger. My teenage step-daughter would literally hide behind us a couple years ago or make her brothers order for her. Yesterday she was so proud because she called a help desk herself for login assistance for an online account. She's 17 and is afraid of people. School? Online. Talk to friends? Text or social media.

Right. Because these days you get the cops called on you for letting your kids wander the neighborhood by themselves. Riding my bike to the video rental place is something i did at 10, 11, and most kids aren't even allowed to cross the street by themselves these days. We created a world where it's safer than ever for our kids yet we never let them out into it and then wonder why they're so afraid. 

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We're failing our kids. I'm trying to do better. We need to better prepare our kids for the real world. They're not learning basic skills that are critical in maintaining a job.

That's fair to think and admit, and understand that it's a complicated issue. My initial reply was just aimed at all the lazy "cuz they don't get spanked enough" rhetoric which has been shown time and time again to have the opposite effect of what is intended. 

Ah. Well, they certainly happened too, just read about Ole Miss when James Meredith dared stepped foot on campus. Then for 40 years they hooted and hollered for black guys on the playing field all while waving confederate flags. 

Before my time and almost 60 years ago.