MWC looking at Texas State and Northern Illinois.....

NT80

"The Mountain West, after receiving signed commitments Thursday from its seven remaining member schools to stay in the conference, is already looking at adding more.

Texas State, which would be an all-sports addition, has emerged as a target for Mountain West expansion, sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel on Thursday night. Another target that could soon come into focus for the conference is Northern Illinois, which would be as a football-only member."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/41462529/mountain-west-conference-gets-commitments-7-remaining-members

• Upvote 1

If Northern Illinois is interested in making a move, the AAC needs to be the first to have a talk with them.  They fit a whole lot better in our footprint than in the MWC, and they would bring a lot to the table.  They are currently ranked above any AAC programs, and they bring the Chicago media market.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Poor UTEP and NMSU. Those two schools are easily within the MWC footprint but we all know logic isn't driving the realignment bus.

It's all about recent football success and program perception.   But I agree, they both would be the easy and logical choices.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If Northern Illinois is interested in making a move, the AAC needs to be the first to have a talk with them.  They fit a whole lot better in our footprint than in the MWC, and they would bring a lot to the table.

I've been saying this for years!   
NIU has brand recognition because they always seem to have either a great season (BCS Bowl/ranking in 2013) , or a great game (beat Michigan this year).  Not to mention, they sit in the Chicago market like we sit in DFW.   They're in a pretty good place, regionally, in the MAC, so I'm not sure how excited they'd be to move.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

30 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If Northern Illinois is interested in making a move, the AAC needs to be the first to have a talk with them.  They fit a whole lot better in our footprint than in the MWC, and they would bring a lot to the table.  They are currently ranked above any AAC programs, and they bring the Chicago media market.

Chicago does not give a damn about NIU. They have a good program but they struggle to draw fans because DeKalb is pretty out there. They beat Notre Dame then couldn't even crack 20k the next week at home

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Just persuing the Texas state fan board it looks like their preference would be the AAC, but UTSA would be against that.

Some Eastern AAC teams would also be against adding more Texas schools.  I've seen calls on message boards to move the AAC headquarters and BB tourney further East.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Just persuing the Texas state fan board it looks like their preference would be the AAC, but UTSA would be against that.

If I were AAC leadership I wouldn't give a rats ass what tulane, memphis, utsa, or USF wants.  They are positioning themselves to exit the AAC as soon as they can.  You get Texas State in here to get ahead of it

Edited by aprice
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Watching Texas State fans on Twitter turn their noses up at MWC has been a sight. Guys, y'all have been somewhat relevant for about 1 year out of the last 40. Stay in your lane.

Seriously...

More recently, since joining the Sun Belt in 2013, they are a .338 football team. They have three 10 loss and three 9 loss seasons in that span. They've averaged FOUR WINS PER SEASON since 2013. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't think you understand the point about media markets.  Dallas cares even less about UNT, but we are seen as more valuable than other programs because we "bring" the DFW market.

I understand what it means. Our DFW market is considered valuable because of both the size of the market itself and the number or alumni that contribute to it. Very different situation than just NIU being semi close to Chicago. Also, if you think our attendance is bad, you should take a look at theirs. In 2017 they went 8-4 with their last home game drawing 8k.

NIU is not a program AAC should pursue. 

31 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I understand what it means. Our DFW market is considered valuable because of both the size of the market itself and the number or alumni that contribute to it. Very different situation than just NIU being semi close to Chicago. Also, if you think our attendance is bad, you should take a look at theirs. In 2017 they went 8-4 with their last home game drawing 8k.

NIU is not a program AAC should pursue. 

You're still missing the point about media markets.  Chicago is the #3 media market in the country.  That matters to ESPN, Fox, and friends, which is why it matters to conferences.

But your point about attendance is a good one.