Memphis AD on Why They Turned Down the PAC

Some interesting quotes, including

When we talk about the decision that was made by the University of Memphis to not join the Pac . . . that was not a binary decision. That was not a 'No, we're not ever going anywhere.' That was based on the offer that was presented in front of us

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/memphis-ad-says-pac-12-membership-offer-was-not-a-good-deal-after-tigers-reaffirm-commitment-to-aac/

• Puking Eagle 1

Yes I agree. That was a strange statement by them. I don’t think they like seeing all the movement around them.

If JMU and App State start getting feelers for the west coast I think you will really start seeing some stirring in tiger town. 

We can’t panic if members get wobbly. There will be quality joiners available if people depart. 

GMG

11 hours ago, C Rod said:

I watched the presser. Sure seems like a dog whistle to the PAC. "Make us a better offer."

Not sure how much longer Memphis is "Committed" to the AAC. 

Agree 100%. At any point soon, will we see these new "commitments" backed up with newly signed agreements?

11 hours ago, C Rod said:

I watched the presser. Sure seems like a dog whistle to the PAC. "Make us a better offer."

Not sure how much longer Memphis is "Committed" to the AAC. 

No school is permanently committed to any conference anymore. Everyone should listen to various pitches, but everyone should independently verify the information. 

All the reports on what the PAC-X was offering read "potential of $10 to $15 million per school." One I saw read "potential of $12 to $15 million per school." Those numbers just didn't make sense! Wazzu and OSU had the lowest viewership in the old PAC - that was public knowledge! The last media deal offered to the Pac-12-2 was $20 million per school which included "substantial" bonuses for increasing memberships to AppleTV and Prime Video. In other words, a substantial part of that was based on more people signing up to watch and if they don't sign up then the money isn't coming. 

I just don't see how any combination of ten G5 schools is equal to 3/4 of the viewership of Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford, and the four corner schools. Sure, it could be a million or so better than the current deal. But increased travel more than eats that up!

I know there are talking heads on TV that claim there's a lot more money out there. But the folks at the networks who sign the checks ARE NOT the talking heads. In fact, over the last year, the guys who sign the checks have been laying off a couple of dozen of the talking heads!

I don't think the PAC can offer Memphis or anyone else a substantially better deal than they already have. At least, not offer a deal that stands up to independent verification!