Another of many indications that NIL is broken

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

What about UNLV lying about what the offered him in NIL.  What about that?  You are missing the point of my post entirely sir!

Technically UNLV can't offer of pay him NIL "yet".  The NCAA is looking at allowing athletic departments to control it in the future.  NIL is now supposedly run and given out by non-athletic department organizations and collectives.

• Upvote 1

If it’s true that after two big wins he wanted more money this kid is shameful.

However coaches are scumbags and promise anything and everything and players are committing because of it. It has lead to so so so many players getting screwed. I’ll be vague but I know this for fact, one school got a huge NIL commitment from a company, promised high profile transfers the world then they’re two weeks in to fall camp and the NIL deal is so new the funds aren’t there yet, no one has been paid and even worse coaches lied to certain transfers and did not put them on scholarship leaving them to pay for classes on their own out of NIL $ they don’t have so they could use those spots on signing 5-10 extra freshman.  

This has become a dirty, dirty game from both sides. Everything outside of the games days themselves sucks now. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, untbowler said:

is he now ineligible since he now has an agent? 

NCAA and the P4's have completely FUBAR'ed College Football. 

In this whole, let's put together a terrible deal and panic that we're going to be sued; the NCAA does allow an agent, but only to specifically address the issues of NIL. And anyone who believes that agent is only working on NIL is not living in any reality I know of.

I can bet before any sort of overhaul of the NIL system takes place, this loophole will be closed. More than likely, the NCAA will restrict how and when a player can "take" a redshirt year.

That being said, if the UNLV NIL Collectives really did fleece the kid, then this whole story is on their incompetence. What else do you want to bet that they couldn't find enough donors to fulfill the promises they were handing out?

• Upvote 3

Just wow! Thanks @golfingomez for finding that article from On3. It has an actual human, the kid's father, speaking on the record. The post from CarlReedJr just names "sources" which could be the staff at UNLV will to lie without being named for damage control. I put a lot more credence in people on the record than unnamed "sources." It appears UNLV offered him $100,000 in NIL to transfer to UNLY from Holy Cross. They gave him $3000 for moving expenses. UNLV has not given him any other money since then. He's living in Las Vegas and UNLV is NOT covering any living expenses. According the the father, the kid has NOT asked for any more money but does want what was promised. He has is represented for NIL purposes which does NOT change his eligibility. Again, an actual human, not "sources," say the kid has not been paid beyond the $3k in moving expenses. The fact the kid has NIL representation makes me think - I don't know - that it's likely there is something in writing. 

If I'm getting $100k, yes, I can pay my own living expenses. But if I'm promised that and it's been weeks without payment and no firm date for delivery of that, I'd be stop working! I'd be shocked if any of you would keep working for free also. 

I suspect, sources at UNLV will try their best to muddy the waters and make it appear the kid is some how doing something wrong. But if he can keep having people talk on the record supporting his story, he'll be fine. I hope he gets the three game checks he's still owed and UNLV sports gets another black eye in bad publicity. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Hate to say this, but I hope the kid never sees the football field again

Why should he give up his final year of eligibility to a school that made a false promise of NIL money?

It's not like he can go back and get paid that money after the season. If they didn't care to make it right now they would be laughing at him if he asked for it later.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Hate to say this, but I hope the kid never sees the football field again

I hope he gets over $100k next year from a school that will honor its commitments. And I hope players stop trusting NIL promises from shady institutions like UNLV!

On a side note, it is clear he had NIL representation at the time he agreed to the deal from the UNLV assistant coach? If he got the NIL representation after UNLV started stalling on his payments, that could explain why he didn't get the deal in writing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The only solution is contracts.  For both sides.  Especially for the really big boys, if the Saban Georgia story is right.  When some state governments are willing to get involved there will never be a level playing field until everything is above board.  Contracts will get that done.

• Upvote 1

Sluka is a graduate transfer. Here's an ESPN article that confirms the rumors that Sluka was asking for more money started with UNLV. It also appears the UNLV head coach acknowledges the $100k offer, but says isn't valid because OC was the one who made the offer. The head coach says only he can make NIL offers! 

And apparently, Sluka had offers from both B1G and SEC schools but was choosing to honor his commitment to UNLV. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41438172/matthew-sluka-nil-dispute-unlv-hinges-verbal-offer