Another of many indications that NIL is broken

11 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i just saw this story, this is nuts... who in their right mind would offer this kid a scholarship now? He quit on his team after an undefeated start???

The problem is other schools will think oh we're the exception he'll play well for us. I don't wish him any ill will physically but I hope this decision follows him and he has zero success in anything he does from this point forward.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i just saw this story, this is nuts... who in their right mind would offer this kid a scholarship now? He quit on his team after an undefeated start???

What about UNLV lying about what the offered him in NIL.  What about that?  You are missing the point of my post entirely sir!

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Udomann said:

If only this highly predictable result of NIL could have been predicted...

Hopefully this leads to contracts enforcing players to perform and stay multiple seasons and stop this madness

Not a fan of how NIL has morphed, but wouldn't this need to work both ways?  If there was an agreement (contract?) made by the school or NIL partner then they also need to uphold their side of the agreement?  I suspect if the other side lived up to whatever commitments were made, this wouldn't be a story.  

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

https://www.on3.com/news/matthew-sluka-unlv-situation-is-going-to-keep-happening-nil/

Every time it does, it likely will be because of one of three scenarios.

Scenario 1

The player and the school’s collective agreed to X dollars over a time period. The collective actually paid Y dollars, with Y being a number lower than X.

Scenario 2

The player and the school’s collective agreed to X dollars over a time period. The collective paid X dollars as agreed upon, but the player had some success on the field and decided he now wants Z dollars. Z, of course, is a larger number than X.

Scenario 3

The player and the school’s collective agreed to X dollars over a time period. The collective paid X dollars as agreed upon, but the player had some success on the field and suddenly representatives of other schools are reaching out to the player (or his agent) and suggesting the player could make Q dollars if he redshirts this season and comes to their school next year. Q, of course, is a larger number than X.

Just think where we'll be with NIL in a few more years.....

Edited by TheColonyEagle

This could be another example of why they are going to let the schools end up directly running NIL. This entire program/system/whatever you want to call it is a total cluster in the way it's done, and both sides, at the end of the day, only care about themselves and act like it.

• Upvote 1

Who is making these deals with players?  Is it the school?  or is it a private collective?  or is it some private booster that promised to buy him a Ferrari if he started 3-0?

Either way I dont think that any professional representative would advise him to pull out if they didnt have a clear breach of contract. 

In the NIL era this could end up being a death sentence for UNLV, other athletes will not trust them in the future.

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

https://www.on3.com/news/matthew-sluka-unlv-situation-is-going-to-keep-happening-nil/

Every time it does, it likely will be because of one of three scenarios.

Scenario 1

The player and the school’s collective agreed to X dollars over a time period. The collective actually paid Y dollars, with Y being a number lower than X.

Scenario 2

The player and the school’s collective agreed to X dollars over a time period. The collective paid X dollars as agreed upon, but the player had some success on the field and decided he now wants Z dollars. Z, of course, is a larger number than X.

Scenario 3

The player and the school’s collective agreed to X dollars over a time period. The collective paid X dollars as agreed upon, but the player had some success on the field and suddenly representatives of other schools are reaching out to the player (or his agent) and suggesting the player could make Q dollars if he redshirts this season and comes to their school next year. Q, of course, is a larger number than X.

Just think where we'll be with NIL in a few more years.....

Another good reason to eliminate the whole redshirt concept.  College is/should be a four year experience.  Yes, I realize that it may be difficult, but that's the goal.  You get 4 years to play 4 years, no exceptions.  Whether you set foot on the field or not, it's one of your eligibility years.  The vast majority of college football players will never sniff a pro contract.  Completing their college education and getting a degree in their chosen field will likely be the most important thing they do to secure financial stability for their entire lives.  Play football (or whatever sport you choose) if you have the skill to do so, have fun, make life long friends, maybe meet your spouse, get an education/degree and get on with your life.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

48 minutes ago, Udomann said:

If only this highly predictable result of NIL could have been predicted...

Hopefully this leads to contracts enforcing players to perform and stay multiple seasons and stop this madness

That would add some stability but I don't see it happening. It's a year to year thing now. How many G5 coaches/collectives are telling good recruits/transfers: "come play here for a year and then you'll get your money at a Power school." as for contracts, they all have to do it or none of them. If a school is going to hold the line and try to get a sense of commitment from a player....the school across town will say "psshhht....we don't do that, just come play here for $200K this year and we'll figure out the rest after the season." No one ever accused a 19 year old of thinking long term...

It's a recruiting tool now and it is a 1 year deal for coaches.  Get P4 talent on the field against G5, win games, get a bigger job. Who cares about what's left behind at the G5 school. 

I'm not sure there's anything that can be done. Can stand up and quit like Saban, dig your heals in like Dabo (who is about to be run out of town) or go the Ohio State route, have a $20 million payroll. Ultimately the G5s will be hurt by it, so they have 2 choices: play the game and get more money or just deal with it

It is what it is at this point.

43 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

What about UNLV lying about what the offered him in NIL.  What about that?  You are missing the point of my post entirely sir!

somebody lied to him, no doubt... you can look at my posts throughout this board and find that i am on the player's side... i think these guys should get legit contracts that puts everything front and center with no disputes. 

However, if this kid has been wronged, he needs to settle this in court... if he didn't get certain 'representations' whatever that means... he probably didn't get it in writing and that's on him

• Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

… if they didnt have a clear breach of contract. 

That’s just the deal, there is no contract.

If what is being reported is true, that all obligations were met, UNLV will be my 2nd favorite team this year.  I hope they don’t miss a beat without him.

• Eye Roll 1

Just now, golfingomez said:

somebody lied to him, no doubt... you can look at my posts throughout this board and find that i am on the player's side... i think these guys should get legit contracts that puts everything front and center with no disputes. 

However, if this kid has been wronged, he needs to settle this in court... if he didn't get certain 'representations' whatever that means... he probably didn't get it in writing and that's on him

I would be in favor of performance-based agreements compared to making agreements to pay before they ever take a snap.

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

I would be in favor of performance-based agreements compared to making agreements to pay before they ever take a snap.

agree, but the market will dictate that.....

"this guy over here is gonna pay me X right now, why would I sign a performance based contract"

a lot of these schools are paying players a lot of money and they never sniff the field and the team doesn't care....we should know, some of them used to play for us

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

structure it however you want... just make official contracts and keep it all above board...

This scenario almost sounds equivalent to Jayden Daniels refusing to play for the Washington Football Team this year because Old Spice didn't fulfill one of their escalators in their contract

• Upvote 2

According to Nick Saban, speaking at a conference in Dallas a week or two ago, the Gov. of Georgia signed an executive order shielding universities in his state from NIL enforcement by the NCAA. According to Saban, they have promised to pay players far beyond the dollars in their collectives. 

At the same conference, Charlie Baker, talked about getting "dozens" of calls from players who were approached by 3rd parties with promises of big NIL dollars. The players entered the portal and gave up their scholarships but the promised NIL money was not there! Now they are left with no scholarship and no NIL money. Nothing the NCAA can do to help them. 

• Haha 1