Will the NIL bankrupt all of the Div 1 schools

untphd

Just now, DentonLurker said:

They might sue, but most athletes are going to have a hard time proving schools actually made money off of them.

Don't think it is that, USC definitely made millions off the Bush jerseys...  It is more an issue of the legislation was not passed at that time.  He wants them to grandfather his situation which occurred in the past.  Similar to the NFL players wanting to get more of a piece of the pie.  Unfortunately, they have not been successful.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

He wants them to grandfather his situation which occurred in the past.  Similar to the NFL players wanting to get more of a piece of the pie.  Unfortunately, Fortunately, they have not been successful.

Fixed it for you. 

Otherwise we'd end up having NIL situations where in 1986 my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a stud LB at Northwestern do an ad for 31 Flavors and didn't get paid.  I guess it's pretty serious case and he needs the $$.

• Upvote 2

There was a meeting at the Bush Center a week or so ago that featured Saban and NCAA President Charlie Baker. Saban pointed out the Gov of Georgia signed an executive order "exempting" Georgia schools from NCAA rules about NIL. A part of the reason was Georgia has promised more dollars to players than they have in their collectives! Charlie Baker talked about receiving dozens of phone calls from players who were promised one amount, entered the portal and after giving up their scholarship find they will NOT get the amount promised! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

There was a meeting at the Bush Center a week or so ago that featured Saban and NCAA President Charlie Baker. Saban pointed out the Gov of Georgia signed an executive order "exempting" Georgia schools from NCAA rules about NIL. A part of the reason was Georgia has promised more dollars to players than they have in their collectives! Charlie Baker talked about receiving dozens of phone calls from players who were promised one amount, entered the portal and after giving up their scholarship find they will NOT get the amount promised! 

Yeah it is definitely a mess and could threaten to pull the whole sport down if not careful.   Best thing to do right now is put it all back under the AD and have set rules that all must follow with significant consequences.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untphd said:

not all of them, but at some point there will be a complete re-org of college football. 

I don't see how Bush wins this case.  As mentioned above, it would essentially be ex post facto in a civil case.  Additionally, even under the current rules, players are not permitted to receive NIL dollars directly from their school.  I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to receive them directly from the NCAA, either.  But Bush is saying he is entitled to something to which no present player is entitled, even in the age of NIL.

The very best thing that could happen to college sports is for NIL too bankrupt it. Then, you can get back to playing actual amateurish sports again. I don't think anyone minds the idea of a supplemental income of some sort, but having the universities pay players directly and boosters to do it as well is just gross. These players suing from decades past knew what the situation was when they took the scholarship and the exposure at these schools. But if I really want this all to burn down, then I guess I should root for the Fab Five and Reggie Bush to win their cases.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2