Memphis, USF, UTSA, and Tulane all reject PAC offers, will remain in the AAC

NT80

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Sorry Admins...this needs to be on the Football forum!   

Great news for us to stay the top G5 conference....

This really isn’t that surprising to me. These AAC teams have a bird in hand, so to speak. Travel is mostly regional and within one time zone of each other. The PAC can add in UNLV, Utah State, and maybe even New Mexico and Nevada, too. It’d be a solid regional league out west, dropping off dead weight from the MWC and adding in the two left behinds in OSU and WSU.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This really isn’t that surprising to me. These AAC teams have a bird in hand, so to speak. Travel is mostly regional and within one time zone of each other. The PAC can add in UNLV, Utah State, and maybe even New Mexico and Nevada, too. It’d be a solid regional league out west, dropping off dead weight from the MWC and adding in the two left behinds in OSU and WSU.

• Upvote 2

Keeping Tulane, Memphis and USF in the AAC was a big win for our new commissioner Tim Pernetti.   I don't include UTSA because they were never officially invited.  

image.png

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Memphis, Tulane, USF, UTSA commit to AAC amid Pac-12 interest

"Some of the highest profile targets of the Pac-12's expansion have rebuffed their interest, as Memphis, Tulane, USF and UTSA all publicly committed to stay in the American Athletic Conference on Monday afternoon.

The schools announced their intentions on social media, which solidifies the AAC in the short term and leaves the six-team Pac-12 in flux as it searches for at least two more members to complete it's rebuild."

"...But the reality is that a significant financial risk loomed if any of them decided to join the Pac-12. AAC Commissioner Tim Pernetti has been aggressive in attempting to leverage private equity money to help boost cash flow in the league."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/41403363/memphis-tulane-usf-utsa-commit-aac-amid-pac-12-interest

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

So all they are is a name.....I don't see the allure of joining the "PAC" conference. Are the going to have more TV revenue than the AAC has? why would they? Oregon State and Boise St have a lot of eyeballs on TV at 10:00pm CST? That was always a big complaint of the REAL Pac 12 teams that left.

Is this new conference gonna have pictures of USC, Oregon and UCLA in their pitch deck to TV execs? They're no longer there. It's a PAC name with MWC teams.

Why would anyone pay $27 million in exit fees and increase their travel expenses to go join that league that doesn't even have a revenue model yet?

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain this conference's sales pitch to potential new members...If the pitch is "USC used to be here." There's not much of a pitch.....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain this conference's sales pitch to potential new members...If the pitch is "USC used to be here." There's not much of a pitch.....

The pitch is slightly more TV money than the existing G5 conferences and whatever the PAC-2 is willing to share from the enormous pile of money the departing schools left behind.

Personally that's not enough for me to want UNT to join.

But I can't say I'm thrilled that UTSA got invited to the "We Reject the PAC-12" party and we didn't.