Memphis, USF, UTSA, and Tulane all reject PAC-6, will remain in the AAC

NT80

MWC looking at Texas State and Northern Illinois.....

"The Mountain West, after receiving signed commitments Thursday from its seven remaining member schools to stay in the conference, is already looking at adding more.

Texas State, which would be an all-sports addition, has emerged as a target for Mountain West expansion, sources told ESPN's Pete Thamel on Thursday night. Another target that could soon come into focus for the conference is Northern Illinois, which would be as a football-only member."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/41462529/mountain-west-conference-gets-commitments-7-remaining-members

6 hours ago, C Rod said:

Anyone else feel like he's signaling to the PAC to make a better offer? 

He is a little cocky about Memphis.  He has been AD there for all of 2 months and implies they may have better offers in the future than the PAC. That whole fanbase thinks they should be in the Big12. So does UNLV's, lol.

"Our aspiration is to compete at the highest level," he said. "I don't know if that's going to be the AAC, the ACC, the Big 12. That's why I said in the beginning, this is fluid for me."

I’m rooting for the MWC. They have a chance to flip the script now that they held onto two solid brands. Texas State would be a great add and Northern Illinois would be solid too. Let the pac go get UTEP Sam NMSU or LaLa for their final member. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

He is a little cocky about Memphis.  He has been AD there for all of 2 months and implies they may have better offers in the future than the PAC. That whole fanbase thinks they should be in the Big12. So does UNLV's, lol.

"Our aspiration is to compete at the highest level," he said. "I don't know if that's going to be the AAC, the ACC, the Big 12. That's why I said in the beginning, this is fluid for me."

Yeah let's hope we never have an AD that does nothing but put the universities interest first and wants to be the best they can be. Even worse if he puts pressure on the coaches to perform at the highest levels.

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

Once it is determined what the total pot is, the distribution breakdown will be 24.5% for Air Force and UNLV, 11.5% for New Mexico, Nevada, San José State and Wyoming, and 5% for Hawai'i.

Nothing says we're one big happy conference like 2 members getting 2x more money than the other 4 (ignoring Hawaii as a partial member).  I'm sure this will make for some fun/cordial conference meetings.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, keith said:

Nothing says we're one big happy conference like 2 members getting 2x more money than the other 4 (ignoring Hawaii as a partial member).  I'm sure this will make for some fun/cordial conference meetings.

Yes, that was always the rub within the full MWC...Boise getting a special cut of revenue over everyone else.  

Again, if this is just a split of the revenue that we pay for them and not ongoing revenue splits, I think you have the same thing Boise was trying to get. The reality seems to be that UNOV and Air Force were the two schools that had legitimate interests in conferences that had the ability to pull them away from the Mountain West. From the Mountain West viewpoint, this is an investment to keep the league together from money that you would not have had otherwise, and it's two less teams you have to try and replace.. I agree that if this is also a revenue split from now on, that would put a different set of circumstances with a vast difference.

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

I don't think he's wrong at all... 

right now the only thing that the PAC has to offer is deflated name recognition and a swiftly dwindling treasure chest... they don't have any media rights guarantees and I bet whatever they are promising won't even be fulfilled. 

I applaud this guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

41 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I don't think he's wrong at all... 

right now the only thing that the PAC has to offer is deflated name recognition and a swiftly dwindling treasure chest... they don't have any media rights guarantees and I bet whatever they are promising won't even be fulfilled. 

I applaud this guy.

He wasn't wrong to turn down a lousy financial deal with the PAC.  But his tone is more like "we're only in the AAC until we get a promotion...and we deserve it".   After getting smacked down by Navy maybe he should appreciate being a little more humble.