Memphis, USF, UTSA, and Tulane all reject PAC-6, will remain in the AAC

NT80

53 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I haven't read every piece of news, but my perception was that UTSA was mentioned only after Traylor started publicly making claims that they were in talks with the PAC.  From everything that has been reported, the PAC never actually invited UTSA.  They may have had the same "talks" that we had...a polite answering the call and turning them down.  Those who know for sure aren't saying.  What I do know is that the more credible sources only reported that the 3 (Memphis, Tulane and USF) schools turned down the PAC.  I think the AAC was forced to put UTSA on their "Committed" graphic only b/c Traylor had been spouting off publicly, and not b/c they had turned down an invite.  Read the UTSA AD's statement carefully.

Traylor is increasingly turning into a side show for UTSA....especially with them looking to have a very down year this year.  A few years ago, right on the heels of him winning CUSA and signing a 10 year contract, the students voted down a measure to increase athletics fees.  Next he loses all of his NFL receivers to graduation and NIL/transfer thievery and proceeds to lose it publicly.  I think he's finding that the money in UTSA isn't enough to sustain the early success he had and he's going off and doing things on his own.  It could work out great....but it could end badly (DD's exit here comes to mind) if he can't get the team back to their previous winning ways.

I am a retired old man with way too much time on his hands so I have read far too many podcasts from guys who claim to have the skinny. I would say that 90% of them had UTSA as one of the chosen ones from the get go while very few had USF because of geography , which even a realignment dumbo like me knew was b.s. as distance and travel expenses don't seem to be much of a consideration these days. However despite this, I was surprised that USF was in fact invited which is why I no longer voice an opinion on realignment but just report pod casters who at the end of the day are just guessing like the rest of us.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, wardly said:

I am a retired old man with way too much time on his hands so I have read far too many podcasts from guys who claim to have the skinny. I would say that 90% of them had UTSA as one of the chosen ones from the get go while very few had USF because of geography , which even a realignment dumbo like me knew was b.s. as distance and travel expenses don't seem to be much of a consideration these days. However despite this, I was surprised that USF was in fact invited which is why I no longer voice an opinion on realignment but just report pod casters who at the end of the day are just guessing like the rest of us.

Sound advice.  Judging from the one 'pissed' vote my post got, I guess the utsa lurkers didn't like my opinion.  Oh well...either way, you're absolutely right.  All we can really do from the outside is guess at what's really happening.  I don't put much stock into pod casters, though.  I think too many of them are 1) biased fans/alums, 2) obviously being played as tools or 3) just looking for clicks.

Edited by TIgreen01

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I haven't read every piece of news, but my perception was that UTSA was mentioned only after Traylor started publicly making claims that they were in talks with the PAC.  From everything that has been reported, the PAC never actually invited UTSA.  They may have had the same "talks" that we had...a polite answering the call and turning them down.  Those who know for sure aren't saying.  What I do know is that the more credible sources only reported that the 3 (Memphis, Tulane and USF) schools turned down the PAC.  I think the AAC was forced to put UTSA on their "Committed" graphic only b/c Traylor had been spouting off publicly, and not b/c they had turned down an invite.  Read the UTSA AD's statement carefully.

Traylor is increasingly turning into a side show for UTSA....especially with them looking to have a very down year this year.  A few years ago, right on the heels of him winning CUSA and signing a 10 year contract, the students voted down a measure to increase athletics fees.  Next he loses all of his NFL receivers to graduation and NIL/transfer thievery and proceeds to lose it publicly.  I think he's finding that the money in UTSA isn't enough to sustain the early success he had and he's going off and doing things on his own.  It could work out great....but it could end badly (DD's exit here comes to mind) if he can't get the team back to their previous winning ways.

UTSA kinda' resembles A&M's start in the SEC.  Their timing was perfect, in that they had Johnny Manziel for their first two seasons.  He helped them have initial success, but once he was gone, they were back to a middle of the pack team.

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

You know this, I know this and probably everyone the frequents gomeangreen.com knows this.  The problem is, no one else does.  UTSA was somehow able to get itself included in the conversation.  It doesn't matter how or even if they were ever in the conversation in the first place, they did it and we did not.  Stories get picked up by rando journalists and it gets amplified.  I've read many sports news articles in various newspapers and they all seemed to include UTSA as a target.  Now, even after the three others said no and the dust has started to settle, the "American4" as they are now sometimes referred have be described as the next 4 in line for the call up.  KMN.  Smoke and mirrors on UTSA's part?  Perhaps, but they are now firmly embedded in the psyche of sports journalists who covered this story and who will likely continue to tout them as a viable candidate in future realignment discussions.

Kudos to USTA for pulling this off.  Masterful.  Who knows maybe they just stumbled their way into it, but here we are. 

13 minutes ago, keith said:

You know this, I know this and probably everyone the frequents gomeangreen.com knows this.  The problem is, no one else does.  UTSA was somehow able to get itself included in the conversation.  It doesn't matter how or even if they were ever in the conversation in the first place, they did it and we did not.  Stories get picked up by rando journalists and it gets amplified.  I've read many sports news articles in various newspapers and they all seemed to include UTSA as a target.  Now, even after the three others said no and the dust has started to settle, the "American4" as they are now sometimes referred have be described as the next 4 in line for the call up.  KMN.  Smoke and mirrors on UTSA's part?  Perhaps, but they are now firmly embedded in the psyche of sports journalists who covered this story and who will likely continue to tout them as a viable candidate in future realignment discussions.

Kudos to USTA for pulling this off.  Masterful.  Who knows maybe they just stumbled their way into it, but here we are. 

Sounds like our new president has some work to do. Time to take UNT into the new era instead of this treadmill of mediocrity. This is the last year before we are added to the AAC media rights payroll (albeit @ 50%). However, that’s 4x more than we were earning w/ C-USA. Let’s see what he can do with that. 

In my opinion UTSA deserved to be in the 4. I don’t like them or that fact but this is football recency bias. San Antonio built a successful football program worthy of moving up. 

Now the PAC would have also gotten their not very good basketball program and the other sports. But it didn’t matter. These moves were being made on football alone. 

Yet the powers that be have to look at the whole package and our whole package is very strong to the deciders. We know the factors. The only way to leverage our way back to a level perception with them is by beating them. Beating them silly like TSU did would be delicious but just beating them is our next step. 

As for Traylor. I think he realized that this is UTSA’s best shot for elevation. I do believe they step back this year. I do believe his team will get poached every year. I do believe his nightmare of the longhorns long run of sustained success and the eyeballs of San Antonio is here. Texas State is loud and here. They are going to get paid back by the league in 24. It’s everyone’s best shot in a long while. UTSA couldn’t make it happen out west. I predict he is on the move perhaps to Waco in a few short months. 

GMG