Memphis, Tulane, USF Turn Down 2PAC....Staying in AAC

SUMG

3 minutes ago, NT80 said:

PAC is trying to find some cheap add-ons to finish their football membership.  Maybe adding Gonzaga is bait for UConn basketball later?   It's all probably an attempt to put pressure on UNLV to commit.

I don't think Gonzaga does much for them, over half of the BE is equal to Gonzaga IMO. Plus I'd imagine their fanbase is heavily on the east coast, and going west would be a huge deal for them.

• Upvote 1

Assuming UNLV eventually goes. That leaves the MWC at what 6 members

Reno

New Mexico 

San Jose State

Air Force 

Wyoming 

Hawaii 

I would add:

UTEP

could they get Texas State Sam Houston or La Tech? That would give them 10 with their base in the mountains and tentacles into Texas, California and the Islands. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Assuming UNLV eventually goes.

I wouldn't say that's a certainty yet. They signed the MOU to stay which was invalidated by USU leaving. And now that its coming out that real media deal is NOT $12 to $15 a school but only a slight step up - if that - from the current MWC deal I would think they would have to think long and hard about giving up the huge windfall the MWC will get from the departing schools. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

U do realize these guys are in full lawsuit modal now???

If the PAC media deal is closer to MWC money then some of the newbies could claim bait and switch.  It may take a while to get all lawsuits settled and legit media deals offered.   It's all about the $$$.

• Upvote 1

I was on board with the AAC going after Air Force and even UNLV. But since they’re staying put, the AAC doesn’t gain much if anything by adding Texas State. Hold tight and bolster funds for when the MWC and ACC media deals/GORs expire and make more strategic moves then with programs that have a longer history of success. 

This plan backfired for the PAC. If the PAC is essentially the MWC, but leaves behind Air Force and UNLV and brings in Texas State or UTEP with an unknown media deal…did they actually improve their environment? I think not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I was on board with the AAC going after Air Force and even UNLV. But since they’re staying put, the AAC doesn’t gain much if anything by adding Texas State. Hold tight and bolster funds for when the MWC and ACC media deals/GORs expire and make more strategic moves then with programs that have a longer history of success. 

This plan backfired for the PAC. If the PAC is essentially the MWC, but leaves behind Air Force and UNLV and brings in Texas State or UTEP with an unknown media deal…did they actually improve their environment? I think not. 

Going after Texas State (which I would be good with) could be a target to block the PAC from Texas

• Upvote 1

San Antonio has to be biting his lip and by him I mean Jeff. You know utsa deep down wanted the pac. If Texas state gets an invite, there will be some squirming in the corridors down south. That would put Texas state on equal footing with the Runners.

I vote to hold off on Texas State for the AAC because they are too close to SAT.  I’d rather hit a new market or stronger longer sustained program. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

What's Texas St.'s budget? The only report I could find was $37m. I'd think that travel would be a huge drag on the program, especially being on an island.

Who cares about Texas State?  I don't.  Let them stay put, or join CUSA.  They can have fun with La Tech each year.

41 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Who cares about Texas State?  I don't.  Let them stay put, or join CUSA.  They can have fun with La Tech each year.

Agree, there is no need to expand right now with AFA out of the picture. I don't think the AAC should do a defensive move to block the PAC, let them go if they want. In the future JMU. App St., or VCU as a non-football make more sense to me.

• Upvote 2