Memphis, Tulane, USF Turn Down 2PAC....Staying in AAC

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Sounds like they just couldn't afford to leave due to the exit fees.

So they would have bolted if the offer was better, but since it wasn’t they are 1000% committed (until that better offer comes along that is).  Why is this starting to seem like high school recruiting season?

Anyway, it’s nice to know the AAC thinks it has a solid 4 team conference.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

CFB reddit is reporting (via various tweets) that Utah State and San Jose State will be the additional 2 teams in the PACx.

I think UNT is better off in this version of the AAC vs. that version of the PAC.

And we have about 3-5 years to get better positioned for the next rounds.

LMAO. It really is going to be the STATE-8. Y'all heard it here first. 

Anyone know a good trademark attorney? Asking for a friend. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, C Rod said:

Sources: Utah St. set to become 7th member of rebuilding Pac-12

"Utah State is set to agree to a deal to become the seventh member of the newly formed Pac-12, sources told ESPN.

The move comes amid a dizzying day of realignment, which saw the Pac-12's interest in a handful of AAC schools get rebuffed and the Mountain West expected to retain commitments from key members UNLV and Air Force.

The offer to Utah State and the expected acceptance in the near future means that they'd be the fifth school from the Mountain West to join Oregon State and Washington State in the newly formatted Pac-12. They join Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State and Colorado State, who have announced they are going to the league."...

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/41406647/sources-utah-st-set-become-7th-member-rebuilding-pac-12

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Thank you, and the bold above is my point.  They don't have sustained revenue coming in.  Let 'em die.

I mean that was the whole point of this thing, to try and keep that money rolling in with a decent media deal, CFP participation, and teams that would get basketball credits, it just failed.

1 minute ago, C Rod said:

Oh boy. Gonna be a late night for the PAC and MWC.

Yes, it will come down to who makes UNLV the best offer.  AF apparently got bonus $ from the MWC to stay in the MWC (probably promised them some of that $100mil+ exit fees and poaching fees).  

The MWC will probably just add UTEP and/or NMSU.   I'd like for UNLV to stay in the MWC to dilute the PAC more.

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Yes, it will come down to who makes UNLV the best offer.  AF apparently got bonus $ from the MWC to stay in the MWC (probably promised them some of that $100mil+ exit fees and poaching fees).  

The MWC will probably just add UTEP and/or NMSU.   I'd like for UNLV to stay in the MWC to dilute the PAC more.

I heard the number AF was offered was $10M. I wonder if UNLV bolting for the PAC would change Air Force’s mind. 

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What is the attraction of the 2PAC that is making these MWC schools up and leave? 

You don't think the new PAC would get a better deal than the current MWC? Seems pretty obvious why those schools would bolt. Their current deal is their starting point PAC media deal with nowhere to go but up. By shedding MWC deadweight, their next deal won't be any less.

I do feel for Hawaii who has absolutely zero conference that makes sense but the MWC and PAC. Hopefully they maintain a home somewhere.

1 hour ago, keith said:

So they would have bolted if the offer was better, but since it wasn’t they are 1000% committed (until that better offer comes along that is).  Why is this starting to seem like high school recruiting season?

Anyway, it’s nice to know the AAC thinks it has a solid 4 team conference.  

Yup. That's how I see it. But at least the AAC greatly values keeping those 4 together but nobody else.

4 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

People on the twitters are pointing out it's like when the original PAC did a post saying they were committed and then all hell broke loose shortly after. Anybody get the same feeling?

If it was the B1G and SEC talking to teams, I would be more worried. The State 7, maybe but not as much. 

• Upvote 1