If Tulane and Memphis decide to leave can't we offer them more money?

46 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

Seems like if the Pac12 money whips them we could offer them a bigger share of the TV money coming in no?  Also, if I was the AAC commish I would be pushing for UNLV to come with Air Force.  I have no need for the New Mexico team other than for basketball. 

Slippery slope to offer more money to a select few teams. If they go and we get the AFA and perhaps Texas State the AAC should be okay. UNLV is a bridge too far and there must be a reason the PAC 6 didn't include them to begin with. Yesterday a pod caster said that if Tulane and Memphis don't join the Pac 6 that the conference would add UNLV and Utah State. He also said that if they still want to get into Texas, UTSA ,TSU, and UNT would be their prospects. Who knows?

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

31 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

They're already getting more money than we are.  Why would I, as a UNT alumnus/supporter/fan, be in favor of making UNT's position within the conference lower than it already is?

Because as the PAC 12 found out, losing your best brands is not good for business. Most escaped that debacle, four schools did not. Do you think if the AAC collapsed when the current deal is up that we'd come out ok? Or would we be relegated to a conference with less money?

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

They're already getting more money than we are.  Why would I, as a UNT alumnus/supporter/fan, be in favor of making UNT's position within the conference lower than it already is?

Until you are a national name, you have to be where the names are.  Strength through association.  Have you seen the wasteland CUSA has become?  We were almost trapped in there.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

38 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Because as the PAC 12 found out, losing your best brands is not good for business. Most escaped that debacle, four schools did not. Do you think if the AAC collapsed when the current deal is up that we'd come out ok? Or would we be relegated to a conference with less money?

I would be completely in favor of a system that provides performance bonuses for teams that do well

https://x.com/RossDellenger/status/1838283500501549353?s=19

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would be completely in favor of a system that provides performance bonuses for teams that do well

https://x.com/RossDellenger/status/1838283500501549353?s=19

As would I. There's always a short term and a long term outcome to these things.

As it stands, looks like the AAC will stay put which I'm on with if we all stick together for the immediate future. Performance bonuses to lock in everybody would also be excellent. Reward those who put the conference on the map.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

As would I. There's always a short term and a long term outcome to these things.

As it stands, looks like the AAC will stay put which I'm on with if we all stick together for the immediate future. Performance bonuses to lock in everybody would also be excellent. Reward those who put the conference on the map.

PE is going to rip that conference to shreds.  PE has absolutely no business in college athletics (and I work in the PE world).  But if you're going to try to find more money for a performance pool that might be the only mechanism to make it happen.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

Memphis and Tulane aren’t going anywhere! AAC will pay more than the PAC 6 could ever pay; they don’t have any media deals.

They are working with a media partner behind the scenes.  To me, reaffirming a commitment to the AAC tells me the media partner either isn't willing to assist in the AAC buyouts and/or from a $/school perspective (with the additional travel) it just doesn't make economic sense. 

It was always going to be about money.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT78 said:

Memphis and Tulane aren’t going anywhere! AAC will pay more than the PAC 6 could ever pay; they don’t have any media deals.

I assume that the PAC 6 has shopped tv media deals based upon the value of who they add next. They should have enough information to give schools they are interested in a fairly accurate of the money they will be able to pay, including buyout costs. This isn't about more money for Memphis,Tulane, or USF. Its about being in a conference that has a reasonable path to the college playoffs and positions them best for the next realignment when the big boys form their own division, probably by the end of the decade when existing media rights expire for some major conferences. When the AAC had UCF,Houston, SMU ,and Cincinnati they were that conference. They now look at the AAC as just another CUSA since 6 of the current membership came from there.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, wardly said:

I assume that the PAC 6 has shopped tv media deals based upon the value of who they add next. They should have enough information to give schools they are interested in a fairly accurate of the money they will be able to pay, including buyout costs. This isn't about more money for Memphis,Tulane, or USF. Its about being in a conference that has a reasonable path to the college playoffs and positions them best for the next realignment when the big boys form their own division, probably by the end of the decade when existing media rights expire for some major conferences. When the AAC had UCF,Houston, SMU ,and Cincinnati they were that conference. They now look at the AAC as just another CUSA since 6 of the current membership came from there.

So news flash is that Memphis, Tulane, and USF are NOT moving to PAC 6. I also appears that The AAC will try and come up with a performance based revenue system.