Did we dump the 3-3-5 for good?

UNT86

9 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I mean I’ve spent lots of time talking about this defense (which I do not love) but there aren’t too many gaps. The scheme accounts for gaps, but relies on excellent linebacker play to go along with excellent safety play. 

For me, it always comes down to the defensive line. In 2013, we ran a 4-3 base and Flusche et al generated pressure with that front four and it made the whole group very good. 

The next year with the same base we were leaky. The difference was the line. 

Reffett had a solid defense with Nate Brooks and Kemon Hall at corner and would bring LB blitzes (to make up for the lack of great line play) and it worked. The  next year they struggled as the corners couldn’t man up and the pressure was late. 

Littell’s defenses post Reffet were awful until he lucked into the Murphy twins and upset top 25 UTSA. Mazin Richards helped him get enough to get to the title game the next year. 

Last year? Awful line play. This year? Better line play. It’s always about line play no matter how many you put out there. Get pressure on the QB or else you lose. 

Good call on Coach Reff's 2018 defense.   The success of that defense always gives me pause in deeming that the 3-3-5 stack an ineffective scheme.   It certainly can be.
The success with Mazin and the 2022 defense was PB's 4-2-5.   That scheme seems to be MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE than the 3-3-5 stack nowdays anyway.

Wyoming is not very good, and had no tape of us in a 34 defense.   So of course, if we executed, it was going to work against them.

I'm sorry to tell y'all...   Even though Tulsa is not very good either, they've now seen us in this scheme.  So they can prepare for it.   Kevin Wilson is a good offensive mind.   I just hope he doesn't have the horses to take advantage.

• Upvote 2