UTSA and Traylor likely heading to Pac12

35 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Can someone pitch me on the PAC as a conference you would want to join... assuming they can get a contract that pays $4million more than what we get right now... is that worth it?

I just don't see it. But, and this is a big one, if that league got Gonzaga and St. Nary's to join them, as I suspect they will, their basketball will be off the charts better than anything the AAC offers, since they would be bringing over Memphis, too. And I'm assuming they get the Nevada schools, as well as Utah State eventually, too, maybe even UNM.

If that league can offer SDSU, St. Mary's, Fresno State, Oregon State, Washington State, Boise State, Gonzaga, UNLV, Nevada, Utah State, Colorado State, New Mexico, UTSA, Tulane, Memphis, and us, that would be a very strong basketball conference, which probably would totally be worth it, as your 3 revenue sports would greatly benefit over the AAC, by miles. And I think between the TV payouts and the increased in NCAA Tournament credits, it would be worth it.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Can someone pitch me on the PAC as a conference you would want to join... assuming they can get a contract that pays $4million more than what we get right now... is that worth it?

It is all in the eye of the beholder so you may need to take that blindfold off and evaluate it with your own peepers. 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I just don't see it. But, and this is a big one, if that league got Gonzaga and St. Nary's to join them, as I suspect they will, their basketball will be off the charts better than anything the AAC offers, since they would be bringing over Memphis, too. And I'm assuming they get the Nevada schools, as well as Utah State eventually, too, maybe even UNM.

If that league can offer SDSU, St. Mary's, Fresno State, Oregon State, Washington State, Boise State, Gonzaga, UNLV, Nevada, Utah State, Colorado State, New Mexico, UTSA, Tulane, Memphis, and us, that would be a very strong basketball conference, which probably would totally be worth it, as your 3 revenue sports would greatly benefit over the AAC, by miles. And I think between the TV payouts and the increased in NCAA Tournament credits, it would be worth it.

That is tough travel for basketball teams.

14 minutes ago, rws69 said:

That is tough travel for basketball teams.

Yea, traveling to New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, south Florida twice, and North Carolina twice is so much easier. And where else have we traveled lately for non-conference basketball games? The Bahamas, Boise, New York, Massachusetts, and wherever in California St Mary's plays? And where do we play on the road in a few years? Oregon State.

Y'all have to drop the travel angle. Our conference travel takes us just as far, just on the east coast. Our non-conference schedules take us just as far, just in non-conference play. Travel can not be perceived as an obstacle.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

It is all in the eye of the beholder so you may need to take that blindfold off and evaluate it with your own peepers. 

Every podcast I read say that the "new" PAC won't get anymore than yesterdays MWC, which is about #4 to $5 million per team. Assuming most media viewing is in west coast and rockies there 3 schools don't increase the PAC's media value at all.That would be a good raise for UTSA and the other 5 schools who left CUSA and are getting 1/2 a share. However for Memphis and Tulane its probably a push. If we get to AFA for football and Texas State for all sports the AAC will be ok.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Every podcast I read say that the "new" PAC won't get anymore than yesterdays MWC, which is about #4 to $5 million per team. 

If that were the case, why would the 4 MWC teams move to the PACx?  Obviously the insiders there know something that isn't obvious on the surface.

Just now, TripleGrad said:

If that were the case, why would the 4 MWC teams move to the PACx?  Obviously the insiders there know something that isn't obvious on the surface.

They are betting that any media rights contract that is negotiated is going to be at least twice that amount. However the PAC 6 does not have a contract in place as they are still putting a conference together so until they do its just pie in the sky.