Improving the Student Game Day Experience

El Paso Eagle

5 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

You’ve hit the nail on the head, our University has far too much in common with UTA. That’s our biggest problem. 

As for being a SMU wanna be? If by that you mean having some semblance of admission standards, not just accepting anybody that walks off the street, producing successful, proud alumni that earn tons of money and will use that money to wield influence in college athletics? Yeah, you damn right I’d like some of that in Denton. 

Then you went to the wrong school. I disagree with you observation that UNT now  takes anyone who walks off the street. Having said that we certainly did in my generation [61/66] when we were a "yawl come school " known for its music department and being a great teachers school. In my opinion our university system is disconnected with its medical school in Ft. Worth and law school in Dallas producing graduates with high income potential with no ties to the Denton campus. However I can't explain while graduates from our business school who have developed successful business careers have not given more to the university. It also is reflected the of lack of giving to athletics where we rank last among Texas D1 schools. However I am offended by your use of the therm "and the like." I don't know if you are referring to their race, sexual orientation, or economic status . In fact you would classify me as one of the "and the like" from Ft. Worth whose choice after high school was NTSU or the Army. Tuition was $5 per hour with a $ 2.50 lab fee which made it affordable. I got married as a student in 65', graduated in 66', had a successful business career and have given back financially to the best of my ability ever sense. In summary I also wish that we had more "whales" donating big bucks but not to the exclusion of those who can't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, C Rod said:

Here's an exciting thought: move the student section and DJ ADHD into the wing section and call them the WingNuts. This section will be exclusive for students, creating a festive environment that's sure to attract attention. Run a ribbon of LED lights around the wing that flash and pulsate to the music, and have t-shirt canons fire t-shirts into the wing after every score. Put our dance team up there grooving to the music to help create a party-like atmosphere that keeps everyone engaged and excited. If you watched last night's App State broadcast, you'll recall that their endzone section was wild, with students sliding down a muddy hill all game long. The ESPN sideline reporter and the camera guy even joined in on the fun, and the TV booth discussed it at length. It created energy and excitement, and the cameras loved it. 

Next, replace the current student section with our massive band. Seriously, put the band directly behind our opponent's bench and beat them down with the sweet sound of Fly Like an Eagle. Make it impossible for them to communicate on the sidelines and watch as they scream at one another in confusion. We're a music school damnit, so let's feature our band front and center on TV, harassing and frustrating our opponents relentlessly. 

Keep the opposing fans section next to Boomer so they'll continue to leave games with Grade 1 concussions and PTSD. 

Yeah, I'm kinda' liking this idea.  That winged endzone is somewhat unique, let's feature it.
Add the LED lights, etc., more contests/games, add a stage for the dancers, and on and on. 

I like the band idea too, unless there are NCAA/conference rules limiting that.  Hopefully not. 
Yeah, bang those drums all day and night!!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Also, I’ve been following this program closely for 30 years and the student support has NEVER been better. 

Last home game the student section was FULL and we have one of the biggest bands in the country.

Can it be even better? Of course, but I give a lot of credit to the AD, Maniacs & Greeks for what they are doing with student attendance. It is making a difference.

Now, if we can just get a higher proportion of our disconnected alumni plugged back in… then we will be rocking and rolling. 

Maybe "never" from your perspective, but student support was better in the late 1960's with a much smaller student body. Of course, we only lost five times (plus one tie) over three seasons 66-67-69.

On 9/19/2024 at 10:28 AM, DeepGreen said:

You beat me to it.  I was going to say almost the same thing.  I've been to games in Austin and College Station over the years and walked long distances to those stadiums.  Especially the TAMU games.  These young students at UNT should have no problem walking to DATCU stadium.  Putting a winning team on the field makes the walk even easier.

Personally I had no issue with the walk. That was just the excuse I would hear when I was in school. Honestly, I think it was just that, an excuse. UNT was very good my freshman year and the fan turnout was still meh. A lot of the student body just isn’t connected to sports. I’m not trying to make a political statement here AT ALL, but this may just be the reality as a liberal arts school, idk. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Personally I had no issue with the walk. That was just the excuse I would hear when I was in school. Honestly, I think it was just that, an excuse. UNT was very good my freshman year and the fan turnout was still meh. A lot of the student body just isn’t connected to sports. I’m not trying to make a political statement here AT ALL, but this may just be the reality as a liberal arts school, idk. 

UNT is not really a liberal arts school.  Unless you're referring specifically to the College of Arts and Sciences.

On 9/20/2024 at 8:34 AM, MeanGreenZen said:

Also, I’ve been following this program closely for 30 years and the student support has NEVER been better. 

Last home game the student section was FULL and we have one of the biggest bands in the country.

Can it be even better? Of course, but I give a lot of credit to the AD, Maniacs & Greeks for what they are doing with student attendance. It is making a difference.

Now, if we can just get a higher proportion of our disconnected alumni plugged back in… then we will be rocking and rolling. 

I agree with this statement. On this board, we keep harping on the students. The students showed up and showed out against SFA and they are not a name brand. We need to start harping on why we can't get the 300,000+ alumni in DFW to the games. I bet the student section will be full today and our alumni will stay home and be T-shirt fans of other schools.

• Upvote 3

On 9/20/2024 at 9:56 AM, C Rod said:

Next, replace the current student section with our massive band. Seriously, put the band directly behind our opponent's bench and beat them down with the sweet sound of Fly Like an Eagle.

If you've been at DATCU the last two games, it's pretty clear the band has been sidelined by the DJ playing songs more frequently between plays. Tonight, there were even a few times when the band tried to start playing, and the DJ started or kept going with their music.

I know the old-timers want to hear Fly Like an Eagle, Mr Brightside, and a few other average UNT band songs, but the atmosphere is much better when we aren't subjected to the band being ready to play something between plays. In Q4 tonight, the DJ must have gone on break or was told to let the band play more. As a result, the energy was different from the first three quarters.

• Upvote 2

On 9/20/2024 at 2:41 PM, rws69 said:

Maybe "never" from your perspective, but student support was better in the late 1960's with a much smaller student body. Of course, we only lost five times (plus one tie) over three seasons 66-67-69.

Well, if you are saying that student support hasn’t been this good since the late 1960s then I am glad to hear it. 

On 9/20/2024 at 2:41 PM, rws69 said:

PLUS, from 65-70 North Texas had 17 players drafted into the NFL. Including two first rounders.

Edited by SilverEagle

On 9/19/2024 at 1:09 PM, GRN-WHT said:

Haha, Frisco? Those kids are going to a P5 or somewhere that has academic standards. We might be getting a few Plano kids, but it’s more like Lewisville, Grand Prairie, Arlington, Garland and the like. 

I think that at one time NT might have had some questionable standards (such as math/science classes for "non-math/science" majors). However, that has all changed.  Sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's NT changed their "core requirements".....in an upward manner. No more of those classes for "non-science/math majors".  I worked for a state agency that mainly employed social work majors for their professional positions. As a result we would have field placement students from the UNT school of Social Work (I don't know if it exists any longer). One such student was placed with my unit for a semester, and it was after the time when UNT changed it's core requirements for all students. In between going out with workers "out in the field" she would sit at the common table in our office space and do her homework. One day I happened by, and just to make conversation I asked her what she was working on. Her response was "trigonometry". She said it was required. "Trig?" I said....for a social work major? Yep, she said, and "I also have to take real chemistry and biology classes, it's part of the core requirement changes/upgrade".  She then said "you know it really isn't that hard to get into NT"....and as she turned back to work on her homework she added "the hard part is getting out".

On 9/20/2024 at 1:09 PM, wardly said:

Then you went to the wrong school. I disagree with you observation that UNT now  takes anyone who walks off the street. Having said that we certainly did in my generation [61/66] when we were a "yawl come school " known for its music department and being a great teachers school. In my opinion our university system is disconnected with its medical school in Ft. Worth and law school in Dallas producing graduates with high income potential with no ties to the Denton campus. However I can't explain while graduates from our business school who have developed successful business careers have not given more to the university. It also is reflected the of lack of giving to athletics where we rank last among Texas D1 schools. However I am offended by your use of the therm "and the like." I don't know if you are referring to their race, sexual orientation, or economic status . In fact you would classify me as one of the "and the like" from Ft. Worth whose choice after high school was NTSU or the Army. Tuition was $5 per hour with a $ 2.50 lab fee which made it affordable. I got married as a student in 65', graduated in 66', had a successful business career and have given back financially to the best of my ability ever sense. In summary I also wish that we had more "whales" donating big bucks but not to the exclusion of those who can't.

Agree. Private universities sometimes believe they serve as economic/social status enforcers with their "admission standards". 

UNT is funded by the state mostly and can't turn away large numbers of students. The taxpayers in Texas wouldn't stand for that. UNT's mission is to serve Texas as a whole. Not just a select few students who hit the jackpot with their parent's economic status. And yes, UT Austin has the same mission as UNT. UT also is arguably the best university in Texas including Rice. But UT still must accept all Texas students who graduate in the top 10% from a Texas H.S.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

How about the Raising Cane's 35 yard FG promo? They placed the ball on the 35 making it a 45 yard FG try. Hard enough for a random student to hit a 35 yard FG without adding the extra 10 yards. 

that was ridiculous trying to call that a 35-yard attempt.  they should put the ball on the 15-yard line and try a 25-yard FG.  

20 minutes ago, MAX KOCH said:

that was ridiculous trying to call that a 35-yard attempt.  they should put the ball on the 15-yard line and try a 25-yard FG.  

They did only 25 yards at the Tech game and the girl made it... meanwhile our kicker shanked a 25 yarder.

That's another thing. The prizes aren't so big that we should be scared of someone actually winning. Can we get some students who have actually played a sport on the field for these contests? Little things like seeing a student not be able to kick a ball off the ground or air balling a free throw also affects the stigma of UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 9/20/2024 at 9:56 AM, C Rod said:

Here's an exciting thought: move the student section and DJ ADHD into the wing section and call them the WingNuts. This section will be exclusive for students, creating a festive environment that's sure to attract attention. Run a ribbon of LED lights around the wing that flash and pulsate to the music, and have t-shirt canons fire t-shirts into the wing after every score. Put our dance team up there grooving to the music to help create a party-like atmosphere that keeps everyone engaged and excited. If you watched last night's App State broadcast, you'll recall that their endzone section was wild, with students sliding down a muddy hill all game long. The ESPN sideline reporter and the camera guy even joined in on the fun, and the TV booth discussed it at length. It created energy and excitement, and the cameras loved it. 

Next, replace the current student section with our massive band. Seriously, put the band directly behind our opponent's bench and beat them down with the sweet sound of Fly Like an Eagle. Make it impossible for them to communicate on the sidelines and watch as they scream at one another in confusion. We're a music school damnit, so let's feature our band front and center on TV, harassing and frustrating our opponents relentlessly. 

Keep the opposing fans section next to Boomer so they'll continue to leave games with Grade 1 concussions and PTSD. 

I'm actually a fan of this idea. My only concern would be the drunk students standing (and falling) in the steeper upper level.

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

PLUS, from 65-70 North Texas had 17 players drafted into the NFL. Including two first rounders.

At that time, and until the mid 70's , both the SWC and SEC were segregated and if you were black and wanted to play in Texas you went to North Texas and later on Houston. The Big 10 and Big 8 were also a landing spot.

5 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm actually a fan of this idea. My only concern would be the drunk students standing (and falling) in the steeper upper level.

Haven't we all learned a few life lessons while drunk?

I'm reminded of those sage Morgan Wallen lyrics: "Got whiskey bent on whiskey sours. Ran my mouth to an out-of-towner. Learned a big lesson when I met the bouncer."

19 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Haven't we all learned a few life lessons while drunk?

I'm reminded of those sage Morgan Wallen lyrics: "Got whiskey bent on whiskey sours. Ran my mouth to an out-of-towner. Learned a big lesson when I met the bouncer."

I just want to make sure those drunk students have some brains undamaged enough to learn some lessons! 😂

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

College is meant to be a learning experience and sometimes Professor Darwin is a guest lecturer.

Now, having said my smartA$$ remark, you are correct that drunk college students are a reality and we don't need them getting killed for having fun at a game.

• Haha 1

I do think there should be some consideration though on redesignating certain sections, I'm thinking most east side. If the Maniacs continue their impressive work I would extend the lower level student area at least one section in both directions, maybe two in direction of the end zone. Wyoming's fan turnouts was the most full I've seen the visitor allotment in a while. Our visitor allotment should be fine being reduced to two lower level and two upper level sections.

Then maybe the upper level on the east side can be converted to reserved seating for all fans.