Improving the Student Game Day Experience

El Paso Eagle

On 9/19/2024 at 9:16 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

Is this something that we could/should consider?

Here's an exciting thought: move the student section and DJ ADHD into the wing section and call them the WingNuts. This section will be exclusive for students, creating a festive environment that's sure to attract attention. Run a ribbon of LED lights around the wing that flash and pulsate to the music, and have t-shirt canons fire t-shirts into the wing after every score. Put our dance team up there grooving to the music to help create a party-like atmosphere that keeps everyone engaged and excited. If you watched last night's App State broadcast, you'll recall that their endzone section was wild, with students sliding down a muddy hill all game long. The ESPN sideline reporter and the camera guy even joined in on the fun, and the TV booth discussed it at length. It created energy and excitement, and the cameras loved it. 

Next, replace the current student section with our massive band. Seriously, put the band directly behind our opponent's bench and beat them down with the sweet sound of Fly Like an Eagle. Make it impossible for them to communicate on the sidelines and watch as they scream at one another in confusion. We're a music school damnit, so let's feature our band front and center on TV, harassing and frustrating our opponents relentlessly. 

Keep the opposing fans section next to Boomer so they'll continue to leave games with Grade 1 concussions and PTSD. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

You’ve hit the nail on the head, our University has far too much in common with UTA. That’s our biggest problem. 

As for being a SMU wanna be? If by that you mean having some semblance of admission standards, not just accepting anybody that walks off the street, producing successful, proud alumni that earn tons of money and will use that money to wield influence in college athletics? Yeah, you damn right I’d like some of that in Denton. 

Then you went to the wrong school. I disagree with you observation that UNT now  takes anyone who walks off the street. Having said that we certainly did in my generation [61/66] when we were a "yawl come school " known for its music department and being a great teachers school. In my opinion our university system is disconnected with its medical school in Ft. Worth and law school in Dallas producing graduates with high income potential with no ties to the Denton campus. However I can't explain while graduates from our business school who have developed successful business careers have not given more to the university. It also is reflected the of lack of giving to athletics where we rank last among Texas D1 schools. However I am offended by your use of the therm "and the like." I don't know if you are referring to their race, sexual orientation, or economic status . In fact you would classify me as one of the "and the like" from Ft. Worth whose choice after high school was NTSU or the Army. Tuition was $5 per hour with a $ 2.50 lab fee which made it affordable. I got married as a student in 65', graduated in 66', had a successful business career and have given back financially to the best of my ability ever sense. In summary I also wish that we had more "whales" donating big bucks but not to the exclusion of those who can't.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, C Rod said:

Here's an exciting thought: move the student section and DJ ADHD into the wing section and call them the WingNuts. This section will be exclusive for students, creating a festive environment that's sure to attract attention. Run a ribbon of LED lights around the wing that flash and pulsate to the music, and have t-shirt canons fire t-shirts into the wing after every score. Put our dance team up there grooving to the music to help create a party-like atmosphere that keeps everyone engaged and excited. If you watched last night's App State broadcast, you'll recall that their endzone section was wild, with students sliding down a muddy hill all game long. The ESPN sideline reporter and the camera guy even joined in on the fun, and the TV booth discussed it at length. It created energy and excitement, and the cameras loved it. 

Next, replace the current student section with our massive band. Seriously, put the band directly behind our opponent's bench and beat them down with the sweet sound of Fly Like an Eagle. Make it impossible for them to communicate on the sidelines and watch as they scream at one another in confusion. We're a music school damnit, so let's feature our band front and center on TV, harassing and frustrating our opponents relentlessly. 

Keep the opposing fans section next to Boomer so they'll continue to leave games with Grade 1 concussions and PTSD. 

Yeah, I'm kinda' liking this idea.  That winged endzone is somewhat unique, let's feature it.
Add the LED lights, etc., more contests/games, add a stage for the dancers, and on and on. 

I like the band idea too, unless there are NCAA/conference rules limiting that.  Hopefully not. 
Yeah, bang those drums all day and night!!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Also, I’ve been following this program closely for 30 years and the student support has NEVER been better. 

Last home game the student section was FULL and we have one of the biggest bands in the country.

Can it be even better? Of course, but I give a lot of credit to the AD, Maniacs & Greeks for what they are doing with student attendance. It is making a difference.

Now, if we can just get a higher proportion of our disconnected alumni plugged back in… then we will be rocking and rolling. 

Maybe "never" from your perspective, but student support was better in the late 1960's with a much smaller student body. Of course, we only lost five times (plus one tie) over three seasons 66-67-69.