Improving the Student Game Day Experience

Catering more to the students is a great idea. I also have to say, the location of DATCU is not ideal. It is technically 
"on campus," but it is an odd placement. Parking isn't ideal, and walking across the bridge is meh. It's not Miami levels of bad placement, but it does not help with attendance 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

I am over 65 and I do not understand this issue with walking across a bridge. Is it really that hard for someone 45+ years younger than me to walk a mile? I have been to games in Austin, College Station, Norman, Boulder, and many other locations and had to walk much farther than the distance from the old Fouts lot or the Dorms for that matter to attend football games in 90+ Weather on many occasions.    

You beat me to it.  I was going to say almost the same thing.  I've been to games in Austin and College Station over the years and walked long distances to those stadiums.  Especially the TAMU games.  These young students at UNT should have no problem walking to DATCU stadium.  Putting a winning team on the field makes the walk even easier.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Catering more to the students is a great idea. I also have to say, the location of DATCU is not ideal. It is technically 
"on campus," but it is an odd placement. Parking isn't ideal, and walking across the bridge is meh. It's not Miami levels of bad placement, but it does not help with attendance 

Wow so it's cool when anybody else says it 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Our students do pretty much have their own entrance, restrooms, and concessions. Plus the hill is mostly students, so there’s a “landing” welcoming students to the game. Our students have it pretty easy compared to a lot of the country. Our issue has been finding reasons for them to come to games.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

I am over 65 and I do not understand this issue with walking across a bridge. Is it really that hard for someone 45+ years younger than me to walk a mile? I have been to games in Austin, College Station, Norman, Boulder, and many other locations and had to walk much farther than the distance from the old Fouts lot or the Dorms for that matter to attend football games in 90+ Weather on many occasions.    

Lack of trees, minimal shade, and sprawled environments cause an unpleasant and unrealistic pedestrian option. Other than Mean Green Football, there is no reason for students to walk over to the Mean Green Village, making it isolated from the rest of campus. 

This is not the end of the world, and the location has plenty of assets such as the hill, but understanding the disconnection between the stadium and campus can help explain the lack of culture surrounding sports

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I don't know that UNT understands that they are in the entertainment business , and I'm not referring to the athletic product on the field or in the gym. Our student body does not embrace our sports enough to attend games so we need to provide them another reason to show up, such as before or after game concerts, etc. I am not in the entertainment business either but I would think someone attuned to students interests could put together events that would increase their participation.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't know that UNT understands that they are in the entertainment business , and I'm not referring to the athletic product on the field or in the gym. Our student body does not embrace our sports enough to attend games so we need to provide them another reason to show up, such as before or after game concerts, etc. I am not in the entertainment business either but I would think someone attuned to students interests could put together events that would increase their participation.

If World class Championship Wrestling after the game doesn't fill the Stadium then what can?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Fouts was too far for people when I lived in Maple Street Hall. I just think football is not ingrained into the brains of many people who attend UNT, at least not in the way that some might even cheer for the Rangers or the Cowboys or Mavericks.  

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

43 minutes ago, wardly said:

I think it's important to remember that 50 percent of students that attend college football games across the country are there for the entertainment and social reasons, not the football... This is tough at a school like UNT due to the "commuteristic" nature that already exists at the school. Theoretically, winning/losing has less of an overall impact than I believe some people believe it has. 

This is why schools like Nebraska, East Carolina, and Colorado State don't struggle as much with attendance even when their football has been ass throughout the past decade.

So in conclusion, the key to getting students in the game isn't necessarily through location OR product. Instead, UNT needs to continue comprehensively improving the social aspects of student life at UNT. THAT breeds school pride, which in return breeds butts in seats. 

Edited by rojomojo
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rojomojo said:

Wow so it's cool when anybody else says it 

I would say the responses here haven't affirmed this as "cool".

We have a student side "entrance" that even has bathrooms, concessions and a small store.  There is a tree covered "Hill" for them to tailgate with stages for bands, etc.  There is a lake they can go sit by and feed the ducks if they need a safe space, and the walk from campus is a breeze.

Sidewalks on Bonnie Brae will do nothing for the students and acting like the students don't go because there is no other reason other than football games is crazy.  Why else do people go to stadiums?  North Texas has so many more dorms and student living options than when I was on campus that the term "commuter" school is just an excuse.

The students turn out great for the SFA game.  Let's see if they will duplicate it Saturday night.

17 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

In summary, it is hard to get students to a Saturday football game when 80 percent of the student body is back home in Plano or Frisco on the weekend

This was certainly the case when I was a freshman, and as upperclassmen you see more students working 30 hours a week to live and work in Carrollton or Lewisville the way I did. 

What I've always heard from students as to why they stayed at the tailgates was that they could watch on TV the games they really cared about. That's the rub here--so many fans of UT, OU, A&M, Alabama, Notre Dame, etc... these G5 and FCS schools all battle that facet. Not sure what the answer is, but its definitely been a problem for a while. Maybe you just make cellular access the very best you can make it and let people have the ability to follow those games while still going into the stadium.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

In summary, it is hard to get students to a Saturday football game when 80 percent of the student body is back home in Plano or Frisco on the weekend

Haha, Frisco? Those kids are going to a P5 or somewhere that has academic standards. We might be getting a few Plano kids, but it’s more like Lewisville, Grand Prairie, Arlington, Garland and the like. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2