If Memphis is invited to the Pac-12, the Tigers should pack their bags and move on from the AAC

Tom McKrackin

To be clear, an invitation to new Pac-12 won't be as awesome as an invitation to the Big 12 would've been for Memphis back when that league took BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF -- and there's no reason to think it'll get the Tigers the power-conference label they've forever chased. Barring a surprise, this will not turn the 

Power 4 back into the Power 5. Nobody should be confused or misguided about that.

But you know what the new Pac-12 will be?

Better than the American!

read more:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/if-memphis-is-invited-to-the-pac-12-the-tigers-should-pack-their-bags-and-move-on-from-the-aac/amp/

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

That's a very good assessment.  Memphis and Tulane have to take the PAC offer if extended.  You need to position yourself in the best G5 league possible and that is undoubtedly going to be the PAC.

Ehhhh......that's your opinion. There are still lots of movement ahead and no announced TV Rights. Right now it's a inflated MWC.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

That's a very good assessment.  Memphis and Tulane have to take the PAC offer if extended.  You need to position yourself in the best G5 league possible and that is undoubtedly going to be the PAC.

Why do they have to?  Not saying you are incorrect but can you please give me some reasons behind why it is a must?  I just don't see that it is.

Just now, RBP79 said:

Ehhhh......that's your opinion. There are still lots of movement ahead and no announced TV Rights. Right now it's a inflated MWC.

It's literally the top MWC programs with 2 pretty good former P5 programs and is about to have the top AAC programs. How is it an opinion that it will the best G5 program? If you take the best programs from 2 conferences, it's not crazy to say you've severely devalued those conferences and are now better than them. Actually seems pretty logical.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Why do you need to position yourself in the best G5 league?

I know I'm in the minority, but I think it would benefit every G5er to stay/go regional to build rivalries.  UNT's entire lifespan has been a revolving door of conferences, it's not a secret why were devoid of a natural rival. 

The constant chase for exclusivity and prestige so I can brag to my co-workers about a football game, is a juvenile way to view the landscape of college sports, in my opinion.

From time to time if you take a step back and look at what's really at stake here, you gain some perspective.  I like watching UNT football because I like to support the school I went to, its really as simple as that. 

• Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Why do they have to?  Not saying you are incorrect but can you please give me some reasons behind why it is a must?  I just don't see that it is.

B/c as it stands now (with only 6) they are on par with the AAC from a brand perspective.  Securing the four MWC programs tells me they are working behind the scenes with a media partner.  Yesterday it floats that the PAC is looking to secure a deal in the $15m per school range.  That is absolutely a leak to motivate Memphis/Tulane.  

If the money makes sense and they snag Memphis/Tulane its game/set/match.  PAC is the clear cut power among the G5.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

B/c as it stands now (with only 6) they are on par with the AAC from a brand perspective.  Securing the four MWC programs tells me they are working behind the scenes with a media partner.  Yesterday it floats that the PAC is looking to secure a deal in the $15m per school range.  That is absolutely a leak to motivate Memphis/Tulane.  

If the money makes sense and they snag Memphis/Tulane its game/set/match.  PAC is the clear cut power among the G5.

Its as good as done already, Tulane and Memphis are gone.  The 4 MWC schools would never have joined a 6 team conference without their closed door commitments in the first place.

It really makes no difference long term.  The super league that is forming is going to put everyone back to square 1 in a decade.  We will realign again, and again, and again.  My prediction is that at some point we'll end right back up to where we started.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, aprice said:

Its as good as done already, Tulane and Memphis are gone.  The 4 MWC schools would never have joined a 6 team conference without their closed door commitments in the first place.

It really makes no difference long term.  The super league that is forming is going to put everyone back to square 1 in a decade.  We will realign again, and again, and again.  My prediction is that at some point we'll end right back up to where we started.  

Memphis and Tulane will never have more leverage with the AAC than they do right now.  I still think there is about a 75% chance they leave for the PAC but what if the AAC can offer them something to intice them to stay?  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, aprice said:

Ok....then they already a TV rights contract in place.....that is signed, SEALED, and ready for announcement.

And it must be a high profile network not circus streaming...

Surely they're not just rollin the dice.

Edited by RBP79

1 minute ago, RBP79 said:

Ok....then they already a TV rights contract in place.....that is signed, SEALED, and ready for announcement.

And it must be a high profile network not circus streaming...

I definitely think they are already working with a media partner behind the scenes otherwise they don't get the MWC 4 to leave.  They have a media partner in the bag and a giant wad of PAC cash to spend to help facilitate exit fees.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FSU pod caster interviewed  an attorney this who reinforced the rumor that in an effort to keep the ACC together will give them enough money to satisfy both FSU and Clemson . This money in intended for the conference to bonus out to all its members on a performance based formula yet to be determined.

Just now, wardly said:

FSU pod caster interviewed  an attorney this who reinforced the rumor that in an effort to keep the ACC together will give them enough money to satisfy both FSU and Clemson . This money in intended for the conference to bonus out to all its members on a performance based formula yet to be determined.

If true then Memphis, Tulane, and UTSA can pack their bags and head west.

9 minutes ago, wardly said:

If true then Memphis, Tulane, and UTSA can pack their bags and head west.

USF is higher on the totem pole than UTSA.  

I might be wrong but I still think the PAC needs to get to 12 schools.  Some combination of UNLV, UNT, UTSA, Memphis, Tulane, and USF.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's literally the top MWC programs with 2 pretty good former P5 programs and is about to have the top AAC programs. How is it an opinion that it will the best G5 program? If you take the best programs from 2 conferences, it's not crazy to say you've severely devalued those conferences and are now better than them. Actually seems pretty logical.

Exactly, within the G5 world, when one conference is doing the raiding and the raided conferences are backfilling, it's kind of self-evident which one is probably the top dog.  Maybe still a dog in the grand scheme of things but higher up the food chain than the others.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Those are good points, but at the same time, if you put a conference of the "best teams," you are also more likely to have a champion that could have one or two losses. Does that champion go in over the champion of another conference that ran the table? Then you are also counting on the fact that the non-power conference will still get an automatic seat at the table after the next couple of years. If that continues, it will probably hasten the exit of the SEC and the Big 10 to form their own super conference. I also find it strange that they would want just one school in Texas. I will give UTSA credit for their success (Although it's still pending to see what happens without Harris at QB), but I don't understand how some are saying that a team in San Antonio gives them a footing in Texas. I would think you need two, three, or more teens in Texas to have a legitimate footprint.

You are still going to have to address the cost of travel for the nonrevenue sports. One of the things I heard mentioned in a couple of places is that they are in the early talks of considering having their Olympic-style sports have some of their games in a tournament-style setting at a neutral location. In the end, wherever we end up, so be it. Let's hope the university continues to try to move forward.

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Those are good points, but at the same time, if you put a conference of the "best teams," you are also more likely to have a champion that could have one or two losses. Does that champion go in over the champion of another conference that ran the table? Then you are also counting on the fact that the non-power conference will still get an automatic seat at the table after the next couple of years. If that continues, it will probably hasten the exit of the SEC and the Big 10 to form their own super conference. I also find it strange that they would want just one school in Texas. I will give UTSA credit for their success (Although it's still pending to see what happens without Harris at QB), but I don't understand how some are saying that a team in San Antonio gives them a footing in Texas. I would think you need two, three, or more teens in Texas to have a legitimate footprint.

You are still going to have to address the cost of travel for the nonrevenue sports. One of the things I heard mentioned in a couple of places is that they are in the early talks of considering having their Olympic-style sports have some of their games in a tournament-style setting at a neutral location. In the end, wherever we end up, so be it. Let's hope the university continues to try to move forward.

Is traveling west that much more expensive that going to Philly, West Point, Boca Raton, Annapolis, Greenville NC, etc.?

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Those are good points, but at the same time, if you put a conference of the "best teams," you are also more likely to have a champion that could have one or two losses. Does that champion go in over the champion of another conference that ran the table? 

Depends on the disparity in strength.  Strength of schedule will usually favor the team in the perceived better conference. With more money, these new PAC schools should be able to separate themselves from the other G5s whose next media deals will be smaller. I'd rather UNT be in the conference with more money so we can hopefully keep developing the program and not ultimately find ourselves in the pool of misfits.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Now, would this be for a conference of 10…12…or for the newly formed PAC6 currently? 

The Houston/UCF/Cincinnati move from the AAC to the Big 12 broke USF and especially Memphis, UConn and SMU. 

SMU managed to weasel their way into the ACC but watching Memphis crash out has been glorious. I hate Memphis and they hate Houston. The fact that they truly think we stole their spot because we played Texas politics makes this crash out even sweeter.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

No. I don’t understand the travel cost concerns of UNT going to the PAC when we’re centrally located and already traveling out to the north east.

Travel cost is more about the access to a major airport rather than the distance itself. Plus, cost also factors all sports. Not just football. What does the vball team do? Fly to Portland then ride a bus for 1:30 hours to Corvallis? Is that sustainable? That’s the considerations the schools are weighing. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Travel cost is more about the access to a major airport rather than the distance itself. Plus, cost also factors all sports. Not just football. What does the vball team do? Fly to Portland then ride a bus for 1:30 hours to Corvallis? Is that sustainable? That’s the considerations the schools are weighing. 

If that's what it takes, then yes.  We should always be looking to improve ourselves.  The only constant seems to be change, so I doubt this would be a forever setup for us.  We need to put ourselves in the best possible situation whenever change occurs,  Right now that looks like the PAC-12.  We did that with the AAC move, but it's configuration is already different than it was just a year ago and it's about to be picked apart again.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

If that's what it takes, then yes.  We should always be looking to improve ourselves.  The only constant seems to be change, so I doubt this would be a forever setup for us.  We need to put ourselves in the best possible situation whenever change occurs,  Right now that looks like the PAC-12.  We did that with the AAC move, but it's configuration is already different than it was just a year ago and it's about to be picked apart again.   

Sure, I agree with that. But let’s take UNT for example. If you’re not getting a whole lot more in the TV deal, can you afford it? Does the move get more donors to come out of hiding? There is a lot of considerations other than just the increase conference competition is all I’m saying.