Talent Fee

NT93

1 minute ago, NT93 said:

https://www.si.com/college-football/tennessee-capitalizing-nil-talent-fee-season-tickets

I know some will think it's a good idea, but I think it's ridiculous.

Tennessee fans like winning.  You have a fan base that has been 20 years in the wilderness and now they smell national relevance.  I love it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, NT93 said:

https://www.si.com/college-football/tennessee-capitalizing-nil-talent-fee-season-tickets

I know some will think it's a good idea, but I think it's ridiculous.

I prefer this type of funding model more than relying on NIL donations, etc.

It's no different than buying tickets to a concert, professional sports game, or movie where the ticket sales fund the talent salaries. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Shocking that an SMU fan loves putting the burden on playing players on the shoulders of the little man (fans). 

Yeah I just like the idea of financially compensating kids who are sacrificing their time, energy, passion, and in some cases long-term health for the enjoyment of a bunch of middle aged men.  If 10% keeps you away then be fine with losing.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Just now, SMU2006 said:

Yeah I just like the idea of financially compensating kids who are sacrificing their time, energy, passion, and in some cases long-term health for the enjoyment of a bunch of middle aged men.  If 10% keeps you away then be fine with losing.

Or you know, ADs and coaches could look at their insanely bloated salaries that they've been increasing for decades since they refused to give players a share. But noooooo it will fall on the fans to pay the players. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Or you know, ADs and coaches could look at their insanely bloated salaries that they've been increasing for decades since they refused to give players a share. But noooooo it will fall on the fans to pay the players. 

One thing you can actually do something about and the other is just useless whining.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Oh please.  They’re student athletes.  Or at least they used to be.  And they get a free education that costs mere mortals as much as $200k or more.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GBarksdale said:

Oh please.  They’re student athletes.  Or at least they used to be.  And they get a free education that costs mere mortals as much as $200k or more.  

Spoken like someone who has no idea the kind of commitment it takes to be a college athlete.  Yes they are getting a "free" education but unlike the majority of students they spend virtually every waking hour training, practicing, studying, or in class.  Virtually zero free time just to entertain a bunch of old dudes.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, SMU2006 said:

One thing you can actually do something about and the other is just useless whining.

You're right, its not even worth mentioning the people responsible for putting CFB in this mess are now trying to guilt fans into funding player's salaries. We should all just shut up and be thankful, right?

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Spoken like someone who has no idea the kind of commitment it takes to be a college athlete.  Yes they are getting a "free" education but unlike the majority of students they spend virtually every waking hour training, practicing, studying, or in class.  Virtually zero free time just to entertain a bunch of old dudes.

Ah, you nailed me😄

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

You're right, its not even worth mentioning the people responsible for putting CFB in this mess are now trying to guilt fans into funding player's salaries. We should all just shut up and be thankful, right?

If you want to complain about things there's nothing more American than that.  Have at it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

Nobody is forcing these young men to play.  They know and accept the risks and are doing it for far more than the "enjoyment of middle aged men". Let's allow the NIL to work as intended and not just pay kids to be on the roster.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nobody is forcing these young men to play.  They know and accept the risks and are doing it for far more than the "enjoyment of middle aged men". Let's allow the NIL to work as intended and not just pay kids to be on the roster.

The problem is that many programs will gladly pay for kids to be on their roster. And now that scholarship levels are about to rise, big programs can actually get kids to come to their school to basically not play for someone else.

The sport is basically ruined for old guys like me that miss the days of scholarship only football and for affordable tickets for a family to go watch a cfb game and not have it take 4+ hours to play, most likely against a team I’ve never heard of or don’t care a thing about. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

And, yet, they don't have to. But, CHOOSE to. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Are you going to be paying the band, cheerleaders, team managers, trainers, etc too?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

How many of these poor kids went to camps and put together highlight videos to send to coaches hoping to be offered a chance to be so completely taken advantage of?

And then, they celebrate in February when they sign the Letter of Intent with the school that is going to force them to play football.  They wear the colleges shirts and caps and take photos with friends and family.  All to celebrate being forced into unpaid labor.  It’s very strange.

Even more strange are the players known as “walk-ons.”  They beg for the opportunity to have a chance to be on the team, even without getting the middling scholarship to play.

Why do they do it?

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NT93 said:

How many of these poor kids went to camps and put together highlight videos to send to coaches hoping to be offered a chance to be so completely taken advantage of?

And then, they celebrate in February when they sign the Letter of Intent with the school that is going to force them to play football.  They wear the colleges shirts and caps and take photos with friends and family.  All to celebrate being forced into unpaid labor.  It’s very strange.

Even more strange are the players known as “walk-ons.”  They beg for the opportunity to have a chance to be on the team, even without getting the middling scholarship to play.

Why do they do it?

Didn't you get the memo?  It's for the enjoyment of us middle-aged men.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Spoken like someone who comes from a school that perfected paying student athletes before it was legal and is still trying to defend the practice although it is not as the NIL intended.

EDIT:  Haha, I pissed him off and earned an angry face.

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1