Wyoming Game Critical

Zeleny' Orel

It is my opinion that Saturday's game against Wyoming has become extremely critical to not only this season, but the immediate future for UNT football.  This is how I see it:

1.  Is the coaching staff capable of motivating players after such a humiliating loss?  Can they come up with a game plan that will work against Wyoming?

2.  Do we have players who possess the character to give their best effort every game and especially after such a big loss?

3.  Will our fans show up to support the team after such a disastrous game against Texas Tech or will the attendance be minimal with only die hard fans attending?

4.  Will the Athletic Department continue emphasizing attendance in unique ways even if we lose the game?

I think we are at a crossroads.  Another loss against a "name" school, especially at home, would spiral us downward in many areas despite a having a 2-2 record.  The team would lose confidence in the coaches, recruiting and transfer portal prospects would look at us more negatively, fan support would diminish again, and the athletic department would have an even more difficult time selling our football program to prospective fans and donors.  Also future conference opportunities would be damaged.  There is a lot riding on this game.

We MUST win on Saturday!  GMG

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1

It has the feeling of a bowl game. Like that feeling of can Littrell get us over the hump this time? It’s not as Wyoming is struggling but man do we need to be nervous and energetic.

I hope to see fire level intensity on that sideline: SF 49’s style, SMU style, UTSA style. Optics and mission planning and energy visible throughout. 

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not to dampen the enthusiasm, but if it's possible, this team (Wyoming) is probably worse on offense than we are on defense.

Through 3 games
Points per game - 11.3
Passing yards per game - 115
Rushing yards per game - 87

So please, if we do not hold them to less than 225 yards and 14 points, don't start with the "oh, the defense is stepping up" or "wow, Morris and Caponi might be turning it around". 

Stats just show why we have to win this game to have any credibility going forward.

• Upvote 6

I have had some time to settle after that Tech loss and this game is one of the next 3 that are very winnable. Tulsa and FAU are not teams that are playing that well either. 

That means you can go into Memphis 4-1, where Memphis is THE team to beat in our conference. They could be undefeated and dare I say ranked at that point. 

IF and that's the most massive IF ever, these things unfold and we beat Memphis, we play a lesser team in Tulane at DATCU. That could be the sellout, once again, IF these things play out.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 3

9 hours ago, BigWillie said:

I have had some time to settle after that Tech loss and this game is one of the next 3 that are very winnable. Tulsa and FAU are not teams that are playing that well either. 

That means you can go into Memphis 4-1, where Memphis is THE team to beat in our conference. They could be undefeated and dare I say ranked at that point. 

IF and that's the most massive IF ever, these things unfold and we beat Memphis, we play a lesser team in Tulane at DATCU. That could be the sellout, once again, IF these things play out.

You must have found Coach Bill’s moonshine 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • RV 1

11 hours ago, BigWillie said:

They are already ranked 23rd in one of the two polls. And they're the top "Others Receiving Votes" team in the other one. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Just relax, it will hurt for a minute and start feeling good not long after.

I had such high hopes to start the season.  No disrespect but before the season started I honestly thought we’d beat you guys handily.  Right now, if we can keep it under three touchdowns I’d call it a moral victory.  I’d love to see our redshirt freshman come in and get some reps.  We need a spark to ignite our offense because what we have going now isn’t working.

On 9/17/2024 at 10:09 AM, Cowboy Up said:

Be gentle and use lots of lube please.  This Wyoming team is way underperforming and lost right now.  I was excited to start the season but we are in big trouble with this staff.

Have you checked out our last two games?

You have a chance.

1 hour ago, Cowboy Up said:

I had such high hopes to start the season.  No disrespect but before the season started I honestly thought we’d beat you guys handily.  Right now, if we can keep it under three touchdowns I’d call it a moral victory.  I’d love to see our redshirt freshman come in and get some reps.  We need a spark to ignite our offense because what we have going now isn’t working.

5 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Have you checked out our last two games?

You have a chance.

Yeah I am not entirely convinced we win in the first place, let alone in a blowout. 

• Upvote 2