Morris needs to own the Caponi hire

Tom McKrackin

On 9/16/2024 at 1:11 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Morris is a good coach (Offensive Coordinator).  I believe that.

The problem is, we fired a dude like him... only that guy was a better OC & HC.  😢

🤦🏽‍♂️ and that got 40% empty stadium most of games and under 0.500 against FBS competition, no conference titles or bowl wins.  And it isn’t exactly like he is now setting the FBS on fire as OC.  Can’t we let Seth finish one season as Oklahoma’s OC before we start pinning for his offensive coaching acumen as he failed to develop a quarterback after Harrell left?  You remember that right?  Okay let’s play a quick game.  Please point out the glaring differences between the Offensive stats for the only complete season for Morris and last season for Littrell.

Also while you are looking for these big differences remember one had a mature QB that had been in his system for years and great proven running backs while the other had to find a QB coach up ready with some of the best weapons from 2022 team transferring out.  

This post was entertaining but one based on emotion not fair analysis.  If Littrell is a B+ Offensive Coordinator, Morris is a B.  And as far as HC comparison, let him finish the year before we laud Littrell’s 7 years of mediocrity and crap on Morris.  Mind you this is all coming from someone who didn’t want a coach like Morris from day one. 

IMG_1887.jpeg.ca2fbabb25926b4161e96ea0779b79e5.jpegIMG_1886.jpeg.68054a220e8a1abcc2e0b14ea0c4b67c.jpeg

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 2
  • RV 1

2 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Both Seth and Eric are out of the same mold. Why should we expect different results?

Air Raid Defense mentalities seldom, if ever, truly change. Unless Eric quickly does what Seth did way too late with PB, he will likely fair the same 

• Upvote 3

On 9/16/2024 at 11:43 PM, aztecskin said:

Caponi is still growing into his position. He called a weird game. He needs to develop. I am fine giving him more time (this season) but he is on thin ice.

I can appreciate your optimism. For me, Caponi has got to go. That guy will not grow. Last year against LaTech, we come out in a four man front, hold LaTech down and we score offensively and get a sizable lead. He inexplicably switches back to the 3-3-5 and let them back in the game and we have to win on a last minute FG. That tells me he is hard headed, cannot adjust his defense to what is thrown at him, and will not grow. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Venson said:

I can appreciate your optimism. For me, Caponi has got to go. That guy will not grow. Last year against LaTech, we come out in a four man front, hold LaTech down and we score offensively and get a sizable lead. He inexplicably switches back to the 3-3-5 and let them back in the game and we have to win on a last minute FG. That tells me he is hard headed, cannot adjust his defense to what is thrown at him, and will not grow. 

He is very stubborn. Like you, I have seen times when this team lines up 4 in the front, they get pressure, they stop the run, etc. And it makes sense. As they always say, football is won in the trenches. If you are relying on LBs that line up 5 yards away from where the RB is starting, he already has time to beat you. Oh wait, that's what our DBs do too.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

He is very stubborn. Like you, I have seen times when this team lines up 4 in the front, they get pressure, they stop the run, etc. And it makes sense. As they always say, football is won in the trenches. If you are relying on LBs that line up 5 yards away from where the RB is starting, he already has time to beat you. Oh wait, that's what our DBs do too.

And you're relying on all-world linebackers - every successful 3-3-5 team (or "stack" defense) has stud linebackers and a very good or even great 3-man DL.  In theory, the 3-3-5 should work well against spread offenses, but it's very high-risk, high-reward and requires a really high level of talent to be successful.

Unless a really rich guy bank-rolls a UNT NIL, we're not going to have the money to bring in 3-3-5 talent.  Much better to run a defense that protects the box and can put pressure on the QB with 2 end rushers, even without all-world talent.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Let Caponi go and bring in a successful “bounce back” DC from P4 or a successful DC from the Sun Belt. 

Key requirement: someone who has actually done the job before at the D1 level and has shown they can be successful. 

Let's be more specific than "done the job before at D1 level".  A guy that has done it before at a Power school, but never seen the struggles at Group level, would concern me.  I don't think it's a deal breaker, but my preference would be someone that is getting it done at our level or lower, and is hungry to prove himself.

Older guys that have proven themselves at Power level also might not be that hungry anymore.

• Upvote 1

On 9/16/2024 at 10:43 PM, aztecskin said:

Caponi is still growing into his position. He called a weird game. He needs to develop. I am fine giving him more time (this season) but he is on thin ice. 

I don’t think this can apply to UNT anymore.

Last I saw, Caponi is the highest paid G5 assistant, and he fielded the WORST D1 defense last year.

Make it make sense to me as to how that’s acceptable? Why are we paying an unproven coordinator top dollar to develop? That’s not our job. We pay him, and his job is to win. 

We keep hiring coaches who haven't done the job before at the D1 level and it keeps coming back to bite us. Sometimes they pan out (e.g., Graham Harrell as OC), but most of the time they flop and then we’re stuck footing the bill while being the laughing stock of college sports. 

We are no longer a coach “development” spot and can’t see ourselves as such anymore. We have the funds and program that warrant bringing in experienced, veteran coaches who have a resume of success at the D1 level.