Morris needs to own the Caponi hire

Tom McKrackin

Morris listened to Caponi in the 2023 off season when I presume Caponi said he could rebuild the defense to fit the system. I have a few things I would like to point out.

1) First, Morris not firing Caponi after season 1 is low risk. Caponi is on a 2 year contract and if it doesn't work out, reload in 2025 with a new coordinator. You don't disrupt the pipeline of players coming in recruit and transfer portal wise, and you try to make it work. I don't fault Morris for this decision.

2) Firing Caponi after last season could do a couple of things. It would make any potential DC leery of taking the spot if they think they won't get a couple of seasons to try to turn things around. As HC, Morris needed to afford a second season to Caponi.

3) Firing him midseason will not help the morale of the locker room

4) We're in our third non-conference game going into our fourth 2-1. If there is any time to try to figure stuff out it is now, prior to conference play. I want to see how this defense does in conference play.

I am not defending the horrible defensive performances over the past season and a quarter. We have to consider all angles of this and it is still very early in the season.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 12
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 4

I agree with the approach noted. I don’t want upheaval as much as I want 3-1 and 4-1 before we even get to October. 

I’m pissed about Saturday but I’m ready to get that fight out on Saturday on the Cowboys. This week will fly by and there is much for everyone to prepare for. Us fans how to be raging inside that stadium, loud and intense the whole game. The team how to get and build a lead and make them play catchup. 

GMG

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, meanrob said:

You don’t get more defensive talent you could have Buddy Ryan coaching the defense and it wouldn’t matter much. 

Still the fault of the staff but I don’t see a quick fix. 

Players are caught out of position.  This defense is built on player-reaction to what they see develop in each play.  The obvious solution to an offense against it is to fake and fake and fake again as Tech did all game.  Our secondary was caught flat-footed not knowing if the play was an actual run or a fake = burned. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Players are caught out of position.  This defense is built on player-reaction to what they see develop in each play.  The obvious solution to an offense against it is to fake and fake and fake again as Tech did all game.  Our secondary was caught flat-footed not knowing if the play was an actual run or a fake = burned. 

No expert, but a well-coached team has the player in a position to make the plays, and then it becomes the responsibility of the players to make the plays. These players are not even close to being in the proper position to try and make the stops time after time. Games against Memphis, Tulane, and Army really worry me, and I really doubt they will call off the horses as Tech did if they are in that position.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, peanuts104 said:

Morris listened to Caponi in the 2023 off season when I presume Caponi said he could rebuild the defense to fit the system. I have a few things I would like to point out.

1) First, Morris not firing Caponi after season 1 is low risk. Caponi is on a 2 year contract and if it doesn't work out, reload in 2025 with a new coordinator. You don't disrupt the pipeline of players coming in recruit and transfer portal wise, and you try to make it work. I don't fault Morris for this decision.

2) Firing Caponi after last season could do a couple of things. It would make any potential DC leery of taking the spot if they think they won't get a couple of seasons to try to turn things around. As HC, Morris needed to afford a second season to Caponi.

3) Firing him midseason will not help the morale of the locker room

4) We're in our third non-conference game going into our fourth 2-1. If there is any time to try to figure stuff out it is now, prior to conference play. I want to see how this defense does in conference play.

I am not defending the horrible defensive performances over the past season and a quarter. We have to consider all angles of this and it is still very early in the season.

500k is a lot of money for UNT, this is the part that I can understand for not getting rid of him.

Your second point I don't necessarily agree with.   All you have to do is tell the new DC that we expect you to not be bottom 5 in every defensive category and you're good.  If you're just as bad as the incumbent, then guess what, you get a free year of pay, congrats

Edited by aprice
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I almost threw my TV out the window when our LBs fell for the play action on 3rd and goal from the 10 that allowed an easy slant for a TD. Have some damn awareness! 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I almost threw my TV out the window when our LBs fell for the play action on 3rd and goal from the 10 that allowed an easy slant for a TD. Have some damn awareness! 

Yeah that was infuriating.  In fairness, that particular play was classic football when you have a player like Brooks just running it down your throat.  But you’re right, getting sucked in so hard (include the Safety in that as well) is hard to watch. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SUMG said:

I want an AD to let a coach hire his own assistants. 

But.....if the HC wants to make an unproven DC, the highest paid assistant in G5, and give that guy a two year deal.....I wish the AD would at least say...."You sure about that?"

Meh, if you have to interfere with their hires, you hired the wrong HC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

This is the basis of every offense, however. Consider that Tech and South Bama are two very good offenses. I think if we played Cal and/FIU again with THIS defense the outcomes are much different. 

Caponi is still growing into his position. He called a weird game. He needs to develop. I am fine giving him more time (this season) but he is on thin ice. 

• RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

19 hours ago, NM Green said:

I agree with the approach noted. I don’t want upheaval as much as I want 3-1 and 4-1 before we even get to October. 

I’m pissed about Saturday but I’m ready to get that fight out on Saturday on the Cowboys. This week will fly by and there is much for everyone to prepare for. Us fans how to be raging inside that stadium, loud and intense the whole game. The team how to get and build a lead and make them play catchup. 

GMG

LFG 

pass side van.jpg

VANPASAS.jpg

• Upvote 3