3-3-5 is Great If…

Hookset

My biggest problem with playing the 3-3-5 is that you have to have the right personal to run it and they have to have experience in it. With NIL and the transfer portal, it will always be a revolving door. I think you have to play a really basic defense that you can plug and play guys that transfer in. It is a gimmick defense that we don't have the players or experience to run correctly. I can't believe that Caponi couldn't run a basic 4-3 if he wanted to. It doesn't matter if our defense confuses people when they are running up and down the field at will on us. Morris needs to set in and make this decision. Keep Caponi until the end of the year but make him change the defensive scheme. We still have plenty of games left to have a successful season but waiting on this defense to come together isn't working. 

• Upvote 4

Agree. And our version of it is horrifically bad. We are soft everywhere.

It particularly awful on running plays where the back ends up bouncing outside or passing downs where things break down a bit and the opposing QB decides to run outside. We consistently crash inside and have ZERO outside contain. We let so many teams off the hook in 3rd and medium/long yardage situations because of this alone. It’s soul crushing.

Doesn't even get into CB’s being lined up 10 yards back from WR’s.

None of it makes any sense for the personnel we have or are realistically going to be able to acquire.

• Upvote 1

The 3-3-5 should be a situational defense.  Not a base defense.  Need to be able to be multiple against offenses now.  Again, problems arise when you don't have depth players who buy in.

Missing on so many transfers that were supposed to help the back half of our defense really hurt us this past weekend, IMO.  Whether from injury, legal issues, etc....we are undersized and too slow to play with a Big 12 offense.

I wrote about our version of the 3-3-5 -- which is known either as 3-high, or 3-3-3. I think it has som e interesting things, and that we have improved. I think Texas Tech killed us and made everything we did wrong. 

https://www.meangreennation.com/publish/post/147907725

The best stuff we did was in the first two drives -- those ones where we still allowed 10-points and they ran with ease. Outside of that I think we were laughed off the field. The scheme can be good and our packaging/prep/personnel bad. Or some other combinations.

Last year I thought we didn't have enough talent. This year we level up, but Caponi called a weird game and we were underprepared against a very talented offense with a very talented OC. 

• Upvote 2