Oregon State AD: Pac-12 will look to add new schools quickly

NT80

1 minute ago, Deep Throte said:

North Texas was never interested in being involved in the PAC 2 expansion process.  They made that clear from the start.  That is why you are not seeing them mentioned in any of the reports as a candidate.

Why not? Rumors suggest that the PAC is on pace to assemble the “best of the rest” conference. Why not get your foot in the door and at least explore it as a serious possibility?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deep Throte said:

North Texas was never interested in being involved in the PAC 2 expansion process.  They made that clear from the start.  That is why you are not seeing them mentioned in any of the reports as a candidate.

If true and somehow UTSA ends up in the new PAC and we do not, then everyone in a leadership role or within 50 feet of someone in a leadership role at UNT should be fired.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, keith said:

If true and somehow UTSA ends up in the new PAC and we do not, then everyone in a leadership role or within 50 feet of someone in a leadership role at UNT should be fired.

Why? It seems the inclusion of UTSA is based on the San Antonio market and the lack of competition in the market. Let's try to find out what the PAC criteria are for expansion and then judge what the administration at UNT did or didn't do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Deep Throte said:

Why not?

...And why do the GMG.com Admins feel the need to banish these AAC Conference Football Membership threads to the junk pile?

Head In The Sand GIF - Head In The Sand - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I listened to a pac expansion show this morning and they think it’s Tulane and utsa. They are not high on Memphis coming, perhaps they get vibes from Memphis uncertainty. They feel south Florida is too far east. 

Curiously they seem to decide on these programs for football success, investment in facilities and going to bowl games. They even mentioned academics as a detriment to Memphis and say that’s why Tulane should get the nod. Well San Antonio has okay facilities and has won one bowl game. If they take Tulane and UTSA let them go out west with no natural rivals. 

Bottom line is that they never mention UNT or Rice as options though these markets are rich. They don’t understand our investment which mirrors what CSU has done without the football success to follow like the Rams.

Memphis is the key. If Pernetti keeps the Tigers in the AAC along with South Florida lures AF and replaces Texas State if the runners leave, I’m good with us here. 

Five years until the ACC blows up is nothing in master time frames. Memphis and Tulane would do well to stay put invest, plot their move to the Atlantic Coast. Smu fan says the academics are a deal breaker for Memphis. The ACC is going to need recognized successful brands. Memphis if they stay the course will compete for a spot. At a minimum they enter the Big 12. 

This Clemson FSU situation actually helps the AAC. Now go get AF UNLV Nevada and La Tech if Tulane shifts west. Tulane and San Antonio are the most wobbly to me. 

GMG

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I listened to a pac expansion show this morning and they think it’s Tulane and utsa. They are not high on Memphis coming, perhaps they get vibes from Memphis uncertainty. They feel south Florida is too far east. 

Curiously they seem to decide on these programs for football success, investment in facilities and going to bowl games. They even mentioned academics as a detriment to Memphis and say that’s why Tulane should get the nod. Well San Antonio has okay facilities and has won one bowl game. If they take Tulane and UTSA let them go out west with no natural rivals. 

Bottom line is that they never mention UNT or Rice as options though these markets are rich. They don’t understand our investment which mirrors what CSU has done without the football success to follow like the Rams.

Memphis is the key. If Pernetti keeps the Tigers in the AAC along with South Florida lures AF and replaces Texas State if the runners leave, I’m good with us here. 

Five years until the ACC blows up is nothing in master time frames. Memphis and Tulane would do well to stay put invest, plot their move to the Atlantic Coast. Smu fan says the academics are a deal breaker for Memphis. The ACC is going to need recognized successful brands. Memphis if they stay the course will compete for a spot. At a minimum they enter the Big 12. 

This Clemson FSU situation actually helps the AAC. Now go get AF UNLV Nevada and La Tech if Tulane shifts west. Tulane and San Antonio are the most wobbly to me. 

GMG

The ACC and Clemson/FSU are literally ironing out an agreement that will secure the league's future along with dropping the lawsuits.  Memphis is not going to be a member of the ACC.  Ever.  From an academic perspective they are a fit in the Big 12 (since the Big 12, per Yormark, doesn't care about academics at all).

If they decide to stay in the AAC I would imagine it would be similar to Boise State staying in the MWC when the Big East imploded.  Remember the MWC offered Boise a sweetheart of a deal that gave them more money and exposure than the other members.  Perhaps Memphis (and to a lesser degree USF) are using the PAC interest to squeeze the AAC.

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do think that would be smart on Memphis’ part. Get the best deal for the Tigers and stay put playing smack on the middle of SEC Big 12 country. 

If that happens the AAC stays strong and equal to the PAC no matter who they come after. Plus if Memphis stays you lose interest from UNT which isn’t even on the radar and everyone not named Tulane and UTSA.

The runners have not tried life without natural rivals and close away games to travel to. It would be a sobering experiment for them because this program needs to win to keep San Antonio engaged. They are already about to struggle with a number 1 Texas for years to come in their sheshed. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I absolutely do not get the obsession with Tulane. Since the year 2000, they are 117-177 with 13 seasons of 4 or less wins. 

Recent success (Cotton Bowl victory over USC), great location, and great academics.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, SMU2006 said:

Recent success (Cotton Bowl victory over USC), great location, and great academics.  

2 seasons out of 25. I’m not arguing us (or anyone) over them. I’m just pointing out from a conference point of view I don’t get the argument that they obviously should be a top target. 

5 hours ago, Deep Throte said:

That is why you are not seeing them mentioned in any of the reports as a candidate.

Posted just today via NY Times/The Athletic...

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5776229/2024/09/18/pac-12-aac-mountain-west-realignment/

UTSA, North Texas, South Florida and Texas State are among the other central/eastern options the Pac-12 is looking into, with UTSA considered the favorite among the group. Getting into Texas is especially important for certain Pac-12 schools, and each prospective member has its own selling point. UTSA’s plan to merge with UT Health San Antonio will be a huge boost for the school and its resources — the kind of move school presidents like — and it’s located in a big city that has supported UTSA football. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Like I've said from the get-go.  Hitch your wagon with UTSA and Tulane.  DFW is a massive market (bigger than SA and NOLA combined).  Pitch the market and the need for travel partners.  Gotta make it happen.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, SMU2006 said:

Like I've said from the get-go.  Hitch your wagon with UTSA and Tulane.  DFW is a massive market (bigger than SA and NOLA combined).  Pitch the market and the need for travel partners.  Gotta make it happen.

I'm on the same train of thought as you. Yesterday I posted that UNT and UTSA are better as a package deal, than standalone additions to the PAC. 

I never thought I'd find myself agreeing with an SMU fan but here we are...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I do think that would be smart on Memphis’ part. Get the best deal for the Tigers and stay put playing smack on the middle of SEC Big 12 country. 

If that happens the AAC stays strong and equal to the PAC no matter who they come after. Plus if Memphis stays you lose interest from UNT which isn’t even on the radar and everyone not named Tulane and UTSA.

The runners have not tried life without natural rivals and close away games to travel to. It would be a sobering experiment for them because this program needs to win to keep San Antonio engaged. They are already about to struggle with a number 1 Texas for years to come in their sheshed. 

GMG

With our partial shares we are already competing on an uneven playing field with respect to our conference mates let alone the rest of college football.  If certain members (Memphis, USF, take your pick) are able to extract additional concessions from the conference and we're still in it, then it will be a disaster for UNT continuing to play at a built-in disadvantage vis-a-vis the "chosen ones" for the foreseeable future.  It won't make the AAC stronger.  It may make Memphis stronger until they bolt at the next opportunity if it's not the new PAC.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Why? It seems the inclusion of UTSA is based on the San Antonio market and the lack of competition in the market. Let's try to find out what the PAC criteria are for expansion and then judge what the administration at UNT did or didn't do. 

Because right now, UTSA is out performing UNT not only in perception, but in reality..  It's merger with UT Health San Antonio cannot be understated.  

If UTSA gets the nod and we do not then it means an external entity (probably with input from industry experts) did its due diligence and deemed UTSA as more worthy to be affiliated with than UNT.  Even if we go as a package deal we will be seen as basically riding UTSA's coat tails.

It would be such a UNT thing to do if we didn't express interest or worse say we're not even going to consider it as an option.

• Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, keith said:

With our partial shares we are already competing on an uneven playing field with respect to our conference mates let alone the rest of college football.  If certain members (Memphis, USF, take your pick) are able to extract additional concessions from the conference and we're still in it, then it will be a disaster for UNT continuing to play at a built-in disadvantage vis-a-vis the "chosen ones" for the foreseeable future.  It won't make the AAC stronger.  It may make Memphis stronger until they bolt at the next opportunity if it's not the new PAC.

The problem with this line of thinking is Memphis does not have the luxury to wait around for an ACC or Big 12 invite that, in all likelihood, isn't coming.  The PAC is real and its right now.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it better than the AAC?  Yes.

Passing this up would be catastrophically stupid for both Memphis and Tulane if (and this is a big IF) the money makes sense.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

The problem with this line of thinking is Memphis does not have the luxury to wait around for an ACC or Big 12 invite that, in all likelihood, isn't coming.  The PAC is real and its right now.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it better than the AAC?  Yes.

Passing this up would be catastrophically stupid for both Memphis and Tulane if (and this is a big IF) the money makes sense.

I wasn't suggesting that Memphis stays in the AAC.  I was responding to the premise that if Memphis was able to extract more conference benefits (at the expense of UNT BTW) and stay in the conference then it would make the AAC stronger and benefit UNT, assuming we also stayed in the AAC.  It would actually be a horrible scenario for UNT in my opinion.

3 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

2 seasons out of 25. I’m not arguing us (or anyone) over them. I’m just pointing out from a conference point of view I don’t get the argument that they obviously should be a top target. 

The SEC basically kicked out Tulane...

Tulane University left the Southeastern Conference (SEC) at the end of 1965 for a number of reasons, including:
  • Playing a more national schedule: Tulane's president at the time, Herbert Longenecker, said the school wanted to accommodate its diverse student body by playing a more national schedule.
  • De-emphasis of football: Some say Tulane had de-emphasized football.
  • Budget deficit: Others say the university was cutting scholarships due to a large budget deficit.
  • Over-signing of players: Some say other schools were over-signing players in each recruiting class.
  • Record: From 1953–1964, Tulane's record was 28–82–8, and they only won more than one SEC game in two of those seasons. 

Tulane joined the American Athletic Conference in 2022.
Edited by NT80