Oregon State AD: Pac-12 will look to add new schools quickly

NT80

9 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

We had 32,000 for a Friday night game against BYU.  Games against TCU and FSU are already sell outs.  SMU has won more football games than any program in Texas the last 5 years so your .500 "at best" doesn't seem to make a lot of mathematical sense.  We now have Clemson, Miami, UNC, etc. as conference mates so I'd say the realignment maneuvering form the WAC to CUSA to AAC to ACC was very successful for SMU.  SMU won its first football conference title with Rhett Lashlee at the helm not Sonny Dykes.  The two previous coaches had taken SMU to bowl games prior to Dykes' arrival.

I'm sure people have been able to post more incorrect information in three sentences but you've definitely given them a run for their money.  Kudos.

June Jones was 36-43 at SMU, glad you consider that a success. Chad Morris was 7-19. But hey, bowl games. 

You bought your way into the ACC, and I don’t care that you did. That route isn’t plausible for UNT. So why don’t you stop acting like you know what’s best for North Texas. You can be full of bullshit about this because none of it pertains to you.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

June Jones was 36-43 at SMU, glad you consider that a success. Chad Morris was 7-19. But hey, bowl games. 

You bought your way into the ACC, and I don’t care that you did. That route isn’t plausible for UNT. So why don’t you stop acting like you know what’s best for North Texas. You can be full of bullshit about this because none of it pertains to you.

Literally nothing I've said is BS.  Its actually being real time corroborated in the media by multiple sources but if you want to spray diarrhea no one's stopping you I guess.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Literally nothing I've said is BS.  Its actually being real time corroborated in the media by multiple sources but if you want to spray diarrhea no one's stopping you I guess.

Show me one verified source that UNLV and Nevada are tied together. 

Show me one source that says what the PAC tv deal will be. 

You already said the PAC would rebuild into a power conference. Never happening. 

Show me anything. You’re just spouting your own BS and tweet rumors. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Show me one verified source that UNLV and Nevada are tied together. 

Show me one source that says what the PAC tv deal will be. 

You already said the PAC would rebuild into a power conference. Never happening. 

Show me anything. You’re just spouting your own BS and tweet rumors. 

Literally reposted tweets from verified journalists (not whack job clickbaiters) of the schools targeted for PAC expansion.

It has been widely reported that UNLV/UN-Reno have political ties.  

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/pac-12-poaches-4-mountain-west-schools-unlv-left-out-3168075/

I never said it would be rebuilt into a power conference but rather the clear power of the G5 ensuring the PAC champion access to the playoff.

No one knows what the PAC TV deal will be but with the war chest from the PAC departures and potential additions in major markets it could be enticing.  I never once posted a dollar figure or even estimated what it could be.

Anything else you need?

Edited by SMU2006
  • Upvote 5

The Pac will never be a power conference. My guess is that as we get closer to the Big 12 deal expiring in 2030 and the ACC deal expiring in 2035, the consolidation of the power leagues will continue, but there will be no more additions to that list, only more relegation, just as we have seen to Oregon State and Washington State. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Literally reposted tweets from verified journalists (not whack job clickbaiters) of the schools targeted for PAC expansion.

It has been widely reported that UNLV/UN-Reno have political ties.  

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/pac-12-poaches-4-mountain-west-schools-unlv-left-out-3168075/

I never said it would be rebuilt into a power conference but rather the clear power of the G5 ensuring the PAC champion access to the playoff.

No one knows what the PAC TV deal will be but with the war chest from the PAC departures and potential additions in major markets it could be enticing.  I never once posted a dollar figure or even estimated what it could be.

Anything else you need?

Yeah, a quote from Byron on the board of regents doesn’t mean anything. He doesn’t even say they are tied. You yourself said they can get out of it. 

Oooooh, enticing? That’s how they’ll sell it to the tv executives. 

The PAC champ isn’t ensured of anything. Complete nonsense. 

How many of these journalist predicted this whole PAC revival? 

I don’t need anything, I’m not an SMU douche predicting to know it all on another schools board. It’s all Green and it’s all good. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Yeah, a quote from Byron on the board of regents doesn’t mean anything. He doesn’t even say they are tied. You yourself said they can get out of it. 

I don’t need anything, I’m not an SMU douche predicting to know it all on another schools board. It’s all Green and it’s all good. 

eye roll

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Listen, I get the disdain for SMU, but please don’t take the tribal mentality, all hate all the time approach.

@SMU2006 isn’t being a jerk or pretentious or anything like that. If you look at everything he’s saying about this next shift in conference realignment, he’s actually advocating pretty hard for UNT’s success in all of this. 

• Upvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

PAC, AAC; doesn't matter.   I don't understand why there is so much shifting being considered.   The Big 10 and SEC are the only 2 conferences that really matter and we all know it.   ACC and Big 12 are the B-team conferences that probably won't last but a few more years and every other minor conference is interchangeable at this point.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

PAC, AAC; doesn't matter.   I don't understand why there is so much shifting being considered.   The Big 10 and SEC are the only 2 conferences that really matter and we all know it.   ACC and Big 12 are the B-team conferences that probably won't last but a few more years and every other minor conference is interchangeable at this point.

It is exhausting when we all know none of this will likely matter in a few years when the top 50ish programs form their own league and the rest of us have to reform into a new division that will likely be more regional based. 

• Upvote 1

Moving to the west coast on a hope and a prayer tv deal seems plausible for some programs not all of them. I love the west coast mountain west programs but it is easy to get forgotten out there. I am thinking Memphis Tulane here. 

I disagree that UTSA has proven it can hold its own. They have had success but these next couple of years will be telling in their power sports. How do they handle challenging seasons. Basketball is wobbly and football is being tested. They may have done enough to get in and if they did it will be based on the past versus the present. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

Listen, I get the disdain for SMU, but please don’t take the tribal mentality, all hate all the time approach.

@SMU2006 isn’t being a jerk or pretentious or anything like that. If you look at everything he’s saying about this next shift in conference realignment, he’s actually advocating pretty hard for UNT’s success in all of this. 

This, and if we are being honest (and I hate to say this) we might actually owe SMU for doing us a solid by going to the ACC. Imagine if they were still in the AAC, all the talk would be about getting Tulane, Memphis, SMU, and 1 more. We wouldn't even be remotely considered.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Didn't know that about UNLV.  That was supposedly a problem with the Cal schools, but UCLA went anyways and they figured it out later.  Why would UNLV not try to do the same?  So, I'd expect them to try to add Memphis and UNLV and stand pat.  If not UNLV, then Memphis and Tulane is next.  

If their end goal is to actually get back to 12 teams then maybe they add some combo of Texas schools to get to 10.  Then, again, wait to see what happens with the ACC.  Either way, I don't see UNT or UTSA/TxSt being able to command $10M/year from any TV network, regardless of our location.  They'd be adding us for the sole purpose of being able to recruit DFW and Central Texas.  Do they care about that?  Maybe Memphis does?

Both schools heavily recruit Texas. Wazzu’s QB is from Little Elm. Their prior QB is from Texas as well

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

This, and if we are being honest (and I hate to say this) we might actually owe SMU for doing us a solid by going to the ACC. Imagine if they were still in the AAC, all the talk would be about getting Tulane, Memphis, SMU, and 1 more. We wouldn't even be remotely considered.

I was surprised by our invitation to the AAC as SMU was their athletic program in DFW. I always assumed that our commissioner new that SMU was actively looking elsewhere and they wanted to protect their place in the Metroplex. If it were not their move to ACC we would be probably be back in the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Our commissioner met with reporters in Memphis this afternoon. I'm reading the tea leaves here but his defiant "I actually don't care" attitude it a bit of tell. Seems to me like he knows Memphis has one foot out the door...

AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti: 'I actually don't care' what Pac-12 is meeting about

Not a good look but what's he supposed to say. He looked like either his dog was run over or Memphis told him they were going to PAC 6.

7 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

UTSA brings a great market to the equation and adding Texas State means they can do Thursday and Saturday trips for games.  Plus they get a great rivalry between these two programs.   San Antonio's airport is about the same as DFW.

You obviously haven't been to both airports Coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The Pac will never be a power conference. My guess is that as we get closer to the Big 12 deal expiring in 2030 and the ACC deal expiring in 2035, the consolidation of the power leagues will continue, but there will be no more additions to that list, only more relegation, just as we have seen to Oregon State and Washington State. 

Agree with the need for relegation out of the top.  Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Wake Forest, Rutgers, $mut, etc are not Top Shelf football powers.  I'll say 50 schools max in the Super Conferences. 

3 hours ago, NM Green said:

Moving to the west coast on a hope and a prayer tv deal seems plausible for some programs not all of them. I love the west coast mountain west programs but it is easy to get forgotten out there. I am thinking Memphis Tulane here. 

Agree.  I'm not staying up for a 9:30pm Tulane game kickoff @ Fresno.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, C Rod said:

Our commissioner met with reporters in Memphis this afternoon. I'm reading the tea leaves here but his defiant "I actually don't care" attitude it a bit of tell. Seems to me like he knows Memphis has one foot out the door...

AAC commissioner Tim Pernetti: 'I actually don't care' what Pac-12 is meeting about

He should have been there last week if he wanted to give Memphis a sales pitch.  Too late now.   

Time to fire your DC too there Tim....