Oregon State AD: Pac-12 will look to add new schools quickly

NT80

Sorry @El Paso Eagle , this subject directly relates to the AAC's future and thus UNT's Football future.  This is the correct board for this topic!

"Asked whether the conference had seen any teams express interest in joining in the 48 hours after the realignment announcement, Barnes stated simply: "Bunches."

Barnes spoke before the rivalry game between Oregon State and former conference foe Oregon, which jumped to the Big Ten this season. He said the league could potentially add more than just the two schools needed to reach the NCAA and CFP thresholds."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41260659/pac-12-look-add-new-schools-quickly

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

Next week's game vs Wyoming is huge if we want to make an impression on the new PAC.

We need to learn from this embarrassing loss and then flush it from our memory fast. We can beat a MWC team next week and be 3-1. I believe. 

Oregon State had their own embarrassing loss today....losing 49-14 against in-state rival Oregon, who barely beat Idaho to start their season.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It's hard to understand what their priorities are for the additional teams. Is it investment in programs and potential growth and market? I know this is a pretty football crazy board but is it only football their concerned about? What about the other sports?

Building a strong basketball conference is essential for the new PAC with March Madness tournament money and additional TV deals on the line. 

Our NIT Championship should be on page one of the pitch.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wardly said:

The AAC requires a 27 month notice with a $10 million exit fee. Anyone think we have the money to move to the PAC 6? Also the PAC 6 doesn't have a media rights contract so you are betting on a come.

I expect the PAC to cover the $10m AAC exit fee just like they’ve agreed to do with the 4 MWC schools. PAC is flush with exit fee cash from former conference members.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

Why would we expect a PAC-12 invite?

UTSA is much more likely. As is UNLV.

Word I heard is that the state of Nevada won't let them separate U of Nevada and UNLV with a major political fight and the additional revenue split between the 2 programs.  

All I am willing to bet is that they DON'T want Utah State and Wyoming to reach the 8 team mark.  Maybe to go to 12 or 14.  

I just hope they get Hawaii.  Because they have screwed Hawaii for years. 

48 minutes ago, Billy Clyde said:

Why would we expect a PAC-12 invite?

UTSA is much more likely. As is UNLV.

They wouldn't offer just UNT only.  My guess is they will make a play for a small AAC grouping = 4 schools (like Memphis, Tulane, UTSA and UNT).  Connect the 4 with Colorado State, get Texas markets and recruiting, plus AAC power schools.   Wound both the MWC and AAC to seek the top G5 Conference spot.   

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Remember, every MWC team they bring cost them a lot of money

$17m MWC exit fee + $10m-12m penalty violation fee for poaching a MWC team. That’s roughly $30 million fee per MWC school the PAC poaches. 

AAC exit fees are set at $10m. Literally a third of the price per school. This is why I expect the PAC to cover exit fees for all new AAC schools added. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I feel the PAC move happens this week. But I also feel like Memphis and Tulane have showed little interest in ever being in a west focused league. Same with South Florida. 

Now look at the results. The PAC schools aren’t banging it out of the park.  The AAC schools are performing equal to them if not slightly better with Memphis’ run. Plus Memphis gets all the  right publicity playing in the central and eastern time zones.

I’m starting to think the pac may have challenges luring the AAC’s top teams. Same with Tulane they get good pub playing in New Orleans and in the central time zone. 

I still think the pac expands fast and puts pressure on the invited to accept quickly or they will continue to hunt. 

GMG