Next Time…

FirefightnRick

5 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

I don't understand how it was not fruitful.

In 2015 UNT was dead last in the entire FBS in offense and 5th to last in defense led by a defensive minded head coach.

Since then, Littrell and his offense gave UNT the best chances to win championships and football games, regardless of bowl game status. Two of the best seasons, record-wise, in history. It took North Texas to 6 bowl games from 2016 to 2022. Prior to that, North Texas had been to 6 bowl games since 1959. To me, that is fruitful.

UNT had a guy that ran a balanced, successful offense that transformed when Mason Fine left to add TE wrinkles. Hired an experienced defensive coordinator with former head coaching experience. Everything fans are currently asking for, I feel like. The results were not there and instead of letting him work through it, powers that be got rid of it.

The grass is always greener... but football and offenses have left the wishbone, the swinging gate, the triple option behind.

If that is the criteria for the next head coach, you may immediately eliminate some of the best options available.

Yes good offense that was cancelled out by bad defenses.

Defense by year:

2016: 96

2017: 111

2018: 43

2019: 105

2020: 126

2021: 78

2022: 110

No bowl wins, no conference championships. Stats are nice, but people don't put stats in trophy cases. Isn't that what this whole thing is about? Winning championships and creating a winning culture?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

Defense by year:

No bowl wins, no conference championships. Stats are nice, but people don't put stats in trophy cases. Isn't that what this whole thing is about? Winning championships and creating a winning culture?

You win championships by playing the stats game. On both sides of the ball. He had shots at them. More than any other time in school history aside from Dickey. I just do not want to move backward.

On 9/14/2024 at 4:18 PM, TIgreen01 said:

I don’t know.  Kinne at Texas st plays aggressive defense.  Complementary defense.  We simply whiffed on the Littrell firing.  Once he made it past October and on to the conference championship we should’ve just kept him another year.  Kinne would’ve been a much better hire but we waited too long and he was already snatched up.  Maybe he was never even on our radar.  All I know is that we need a coach that fields a complete team and prioritizes fundamentals over gimmicks.  We don’t do the little things right and that’s adds up.

No doubt he (Kinne) is burning it up, but it's not like everyone thought at the time he was hired; he was a sure thing to do what he's done. Again, taking nothing away from his accomplishment, but people acting like they knew he was going to do this is very disingenuous.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Defense by year:

IMG_0529.jpeg

With his best DC, Skladany..(a.k.a The Morton’s Fisherman)… he came up 7 points short from winning a conference championship that year.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

IMG_0529.jpeg

With his best DC, Skladany..(a.k.a The Morton’s Fisherman)… he came up 7 points short from winning a conference championship that year.

Rick

I’ve often wondered what this place would’ve looked like if 2014 didn’t see us fall backwards to a 4-8 season. We had the momentum of McCarney turning us around and winning that HoD Bowl over UNLV. But Skladany retired, Derek Thompson graduated, and our recruiting just fell off a mountain. DMac never recovered. He started getting so frustrated about not getting any traction for recruiting and began to talk about how hard this job was. And then Portland State happened. But if he could’ve kept the momentum going in 2014, I believe things would’ve been much better for us in 2015 and he doesn’t get fired after the worst loss in modern college football history.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanMag said:

You win championships by playing the stats game. On both sides of the ball. He had shots at them. More than any other time in school history aside from Dickey. I just do not want to move backward.

If you have enough stats go a certain way that's a trend, and SL's trend was never being able to make it over the hump. Close a few times, but couldn't put it all together. No one wants to go backwards, but that's on the AD to make the right choices.

10 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No doubt he (Kinne) is burning it up, but it's not like everyone thought at the time he was hired; he was a sure thing to do what he's done. Again, taking nothing away from his accomplishment, but people acting like they knew he was going to do this is very disingenuous.

Admittedly, I have no idea what all goes into a football HC hiring process.  I bet, though, that you can determine if you’ve got a guy who is going to prioritize one side of the ball over the other and what kind of coaches he’s going to bring with him.  Maybe that’s the tough part…you don’t know exactly who he’ll bring in to coach defense or QBs until he’s actually hired.  In this case, we hired Caponi pretty quick.

15 hours ago, MeanMag said:

I don't understand how it was not fruitful.

In 2015 UNT was dead last in the entire FBS in offense and 5th to last in defense led by a defensive minded head coach.

Since then, Littrell and his offense gave UNT the best chances to win championships and football games, regardless of bowl game status. Two of the best seasons, record-wise, in history. It took North Texas to 6 bowl games from 2016 to 2022. Prior to that, North Texas had been to 6 bowl games since 1959. To me, that is fruitful.

UNT had a guy that ran a balanced, successful offense that transformed when Mason Fine left to add TE wrinkles. Hired an experienced defensive coordinator with former head coaching experience. Everything fans are currently asking for, I feel like. The results were not there and instead of letting him work through it, powers that be got rid of it.

The grass is always greener... but football and offenses have left the wishbone, the swinging gate, the triple option behind.

If that is the criteria for the next head coach, you may immediately eliminate some of the best options available.

How many conference championships, bowl wins, playoff appearances, and what is our W/L record under all these Air Raid schemes?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kinne bring a ton of his previous team up to San Marcos when he accepted their job? Yes, they're FCS players, but the continuity he got to use at TSU has shown in the results

Morris was hired away as a coordinator, even though he had been a successful coach at UIW. He didn't have anyone to bring with him. After the first season ends and we lose everyone, he's rebuilding again with 70 something new faces. That just won't work.

On 9/17/2024 at 12:26 AM, Green Otaku said:

Hardest hitting defense I had ever seen. Lee and Trice I remember specifically being monsters.

Certainly one of the best.  

I’d add the late 60’s teams, the Chuck Mills teams of the 80’s, Lacroix’s group, Gary De Loach’s teams and of course Skladany. Just about every era had its share of violent hitters.  Kim Phillips, Sean Wash, Lance White.  But I’ll never forget Jonas Buckles and Craig Jone, and neither will anyone who got hit by them.   With the new rules in place nowadays those times are long over.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1