Mosley: Fire Morris or leave as well

Marcelo

2 hours ago, MeanMag said:

Smatresk fired the last guy for getting to a conference championship. He's not here to have to deal with the pile he left behind. WTF is UNT doing?

This football program has been a joke for a long time and will continue to be a joke.

They should be humiliated by today's game - but I doubt they feel that way at all - and that is a big leadership issue we've had for a long time at UNT.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanMag said:

Smatresk fired the last guy for getting to a conference championship. He's not here to have to deal with the pile he left behind. WTF is UNT doing?

What part of the Seth Littrell era do you miss most -- the .500 records, calling a six-win season a success, never winning a bowl game or shitting the bed every time we played a bigger OOC opponent after 2018?

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 4

Just now, rcade said:

What part of the Seth Littrell era do you miss most -- the .500 records, calling a six-win season a success, never winning a bowl game or shitting the bed every time we played a bigger OOC opponent after 2018?

I don’t miss Seth at all, but I might if we end up with a losing record again this season. 

It’s funny because I think we’ll be 4-1 before the wheels get wobbly. I still want Keller to lay out his plans and I want big upgrade performances out of those 2. We’re slipping behind less equipped schools. Unacceptable and not fitting of our profile. 

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Morris’ offense has the potential to legitimately launch us into the national spotlight when they execute. 

Morris’ defense (or lack thereof) on the other hand is the thing that has led to his shortcomings thus far. 

If Morris gets rid of Caponi and brings in a proven DC (ideally from the Sun Belt because a handful of those programs seem to do more with less defensively), then I still think Morris can have massive success at UNT. 

But the clock is ticking for Morris to right the ship. If he doesn’t, it’s on him through and through. 

Just now, rcade said:

Same as everyone else.

- The 2 9-win seasons

- Beating Arkansas

- Going to Bowl Games

- Playing in conference championships

- Mason Fine

- The talk about our Headcoach getting hired away

- Our OC actually getting hired away

I will take that over this.

Keep the receipts. If we win a bowl game, maybe I'll prefer this.

At this point, At best, Morris may be the same.

What I miss the most was how the coaching search that got us Seth Littrell was conducted. It looked like UNT actually knew what they were doing.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Anyone that wants to pony up the first million to buy them out will probably get some others to help…

The problem is nobody in the fanbase were really excited about this hire.  Cautiously optimistic at best.  So you cannot expect the fans and alumni to pay for this mistake Seth Littrell arrived with more excitement. Chiefly because he was going reintroduce the concept of on target passes more than 15 yards down the field to Mean Green Football imo).   Coach McCarney was the coach with the best resume we've hired since getting back to FBS.  That is kind of pathetic to think about.  And just evidence to support my opinion the leadership of this program only tries half ass since RV AND Coach Dickey got it stable enough to not be relegated back to FCS by the NCAA.

My opinion is that if Leadership isn't aggressive enough to try to hire Coaches like Larry Coker, Major Applewhite, Deion Sanders, Lane Kiffin, and Willie Fritz the program is NEVER going to sellout in Denton.   And it doesn't deserve to because they aim low.  Ironic we still have passionate defenders of Coach Dickey getting fired when and how he did.

Excert of fan posting about it at the time:

I left two messages today with new UNT President Gretchen Bataille to relay these events. The departing seniors on the team deserve a better sendoff than childish stunts from coaches nursing a grudge, fans deserve better, and a school paying Dickey another half-mil not to coach deserves better.

I'll be disappointed if Dickey makes the trip Saturday to finish the season against Louisiana-Monroe. I was on the fence about Dickey's firing, but I think he's shown his true colors.

There is that "country club, we shouldn't have to do this" attitude that still exist in the culture in and around this program.  500k was a more competitive salary back then but it was still a bargain. So today reading that blog from 2006 is comical.  Run the table twice in conference play today and the coach would get a statue and a 10 year extension.  🤣

• Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, mgfan said:

Not sure it is a knee jerk reaction. What has morris done to keep his job at this point? 

Not much, however why do you think firing a coach after 3 games makes any sense.

I am sure you can name a bunch of established coaches that would want to work at a school that fires a 2-1 coach in September.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Not much, however why do you think firing a coach after 3 games makes any sense.

I am sure you can name a bunch of established coaches that would want to work at a school that fires a 2-1 coach in September.  

3 games? We just going to ignore last season? 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

Same as everyone else. ...

What I miss the most was how the coaching search that got us Seth Littrell was conducted. It looked like UNT actually knew what they were doing.

It sounds like you miss pre-2019 Seth, because everything you listed is from that era aside from Mason Fine's senior year, three more bowl games and the 2022 CUSA championship (all losses).

Everyone misses that Seth, but something changed after he pulled his name out of the Kansas State coaching search in December 2018.

We went from this happy youthful Coach-Taylor Seth ...

ghows-KS-7c754a3d-0d7d-21e7-e053-0100007

... to this much richer much unhappier live-action-Fred-Flintstone Seth:

w640xh480_GettyImages-1237406235.jpg?ts=

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rcade said:

**Double-checks today’s score.**

**Takes another drink.**

All of that.   Right now, I miss all of that.

Right now, I’m not sure Morris & co. can accomplish any of that.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

IMO, the AD fired Seth because 6-6 seasons with no signature wins, conference championships, or bowl wins were no longer acceptable. 

Therefore, the expectation for Morris is to consistently generate 7+ win seasons, win conference championships, have signature wins, and win bowl games. 

If he doesn’t meet that expectation, the AD needs to find a replacement who can. Otherwise, we fired Seth for no reason. 

Seth was 7-6, playing for a conference championship against a ranked team in his last season. I'd take that, too.

So it looks like the bar is/was better than 7+ wins.

Smatresk, instead of walking back an ultimatum because the arrow looked to be pointed up again, decided to make good on his word. At the end of that season - with Phil Bennett as our DC, you could not have convinced me there was anyone available who was a better coach for this job, at that point in time, than Seth.

So here we go - Ready to take the big step of acting like a big-boy program and firing a coach in a winning season for not winning a conference championship. I was so hopeful UNT knew the guy they wanted, because big-boy programs do not get rid of upward arrow coaches unless they have something worked out already...

Only to be let down by announcing they are "conducting a national search".

Uh-oh.

They didn't think about the next big boy step... and the one after that...

So here we are. Playing out the "anyone-but-Seth" lottery.

Someone here who is optimistic/happy with the way things are going, please tell me how Morris is going to end this season better than Seth's last season. Because I need a pick-me-up and something to look forward to.

Edited by MeanMag
grammar
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

Seth was 7-6, playing for a conference championship against a ranked team in his last season. I'd take that, too.

Smatresk, instead of walking back an ultimatum because the arrow looked to be pointed up again, decided to make good on his word. At the end of that season - with Phil Bennett as our DC, you could not have convinced me there was anyone available who was a better coach for this job, at that point in time, than Seth.

So here we go - Ready to take the big step of acting like a big-boy program and firing a coach in a winning season for not winning a conference championship. I was so hopeful UNT knew the guy they wanted, because big-boy programs do not get rid of upward arrow coaches unless they have something worked out already...

Only to be let down by announcing they are "conducting a national search".

Uh-oh.

They didn't think about the next big boy step... and the one after that...

So here we are. Playing out the "anyone-but-Seth" lottery.

Someone here who is optimistic/happy with the way things are going, please tell me how Morris is going to end this season better than Seth's last season. Because I need a pick-me-up and something to look forward to.

It was a roll that had to be made.   SL's tenure became stale/lifeless.    It appears we shot a 7.
tXH3PX.gif

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

The bar was probably a conference championship or a meaningful win against an OOC opponent, such as bowl game victory.

Littrell couldn't do that from 2019-22. How many FBS head coaches get that long without either and stay in their jobs?

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, rcade said:

The bar was probably a conference championship or a meaningful win against an OOC opponent, such as bowl game victory.

Littrell couldn't do that from 2019-22. How many FBS head coaches get that long without either and stay in their jobs?

You're right.

I have been looking for optimism that the guy coming in was closer to accomplishing those things than the guy going out. So far, I'm still looking. UNT looked flat out bad today - In every measure from coaching to playing. Not even competitive.

• Upvote 1

I agreed with the SL firing. It was time. However, we can’t even put Morris’s name along Seth coz he hasn’t done squat. He was hired to elevate the squad, but the only elevation I see are the defensive yards allowed and the score of good opposing  teams. What SL did weren’t groundbreaking things, but we were placed in a position to be conference champs and go to bowl games. I’m sure we’d all settle for that right now than having a team come out to a “prove to the world game” lifeless. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, 3_n_out said:

I agreed with the SL firing. It was time. However, we can’t even put Morris’s name along Seth coz he hasn’t done squat. He was hired to elevate the squad, but the only elevation I see are the defensive yards allowed and the score of good opposing  teams. What SL did weren’t groundbreaking things, but we were placed in a position to be conference champs and go to bowl games. I’m sure we’d all settle for that right now than having a team come out to a “prove to the world game” lifeless. 

With all due respect 3 and out, Eric Morris claimed we had a great team heading into the Cal game last season and he lied.

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

With all due respect 3 and out, Eric Morris claimed we had a great team heading into the Cal game last season and he lied.

What was he supposed to say:  "They left me with a bare cupboard and our team will be mediocre.  I predict a losing record but please come out anyway"?

• Upvote 2