🔥🔥🔥Official UNT vs Texas Tech IN-GAME DISCUSSION🚨🚨🚨

Cooke County Kid

2 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Texas State and UTSA would love us to drop football. More recruits for them. Smu and TCU would love us to drop football. Cede the region to them and more recruits.

How about clean house and build it right? AIM higher.

GMG

Nope don't you know we don't have to do that at UNT.  We really large school in the heart of a recruiting hotbed. We hire inexperienced coach give them cart blanche whether their assistant hires make sense or not.  Or we hire coaches experienced with X & O but inexperienced at recruiting to a G5/FCS school in a major metro location like ours and let them operate like they are in Iowa or Florida. 😆

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

This!  Is a Basketball NCAA sweet 16 appearance every 4-8 years followed by vultures picking that team clean to start the process all over again inspiring? More importantly would it generate the revenue and fan patronize that gets 2 or 3 regular season game on ESPN or ESPN2?  Probably not. I am NOT arguing that we should take resources away from BB or even slow down getting competitive basketball facilities.  But this region is not a NCAA Basketball market.  I mean SMU had one of the greatest Basketball coaches in ever.  And I bet most basketball fans who weren't SMU basketball fans before Larry Brown could tell you what was his last season coaching at SMU.

All of you with this mindset about basketball haven't paid attention to the Mountain West Conference the past few years. They've kept rosters mostly together and retooled as needed despite NIL. More importantly, they repeatedly earned their conference and themselves NCAA credits which is revenue. 

2 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

So that we can be the best BB farm system in the NIL/Portal world?

I like BB and actually enjoy the style of play we have, but I'm tired of supporting players that are going to leave.

So your solution is to shut everything down then. Got it. Being the BB farm system in this world, if that happened, would lead to repeated NCAA tournament appearances. You can reload 5-7 basketball players on a yearly basis and be successful. You know how I know? Because programs like Kentucky did it for years while churning out one-and-done prospects to the NBA. If some of the top juco or HS prospects want to come to UNT for a year or two and raise their stocks to jump to a bigger program, that's much easier to manage than having 77 new players every year on a football team. You want consistency if you can but getting a new rosters in basketball means getting 12 guys to gel as opposed to getting 77 guys to gel in football. And yes, I realize we wouldn't be getting the talent that a Kentucky would be getting. The point is you can rebuild rosters yearly in basketball and create chemistry every year. 

Basketball needs to be the way for us. Every year we don't reallocate money to basketball is a year and ressources wasted.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

22 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

What the heck does that have to do with my post.   

If you think it makes sense to fire the hc now, than support that bs. 

You said he should be judged on the season, not on one game. He has been head coach for 15 games. I'm curious what games you think he has been the better coach. What do you see that makes you think he will get any better at his job. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

All of you with this mindset about basketball haven't paid attention to the Mountain West Conference the past few years. They've kept rosters mostly together and retooled as needed despite NIL. More importantly, they repeatedly earned their conference and themselves NCAA credits which is revenue

This isn't the MWC 🤦🏽‍♂️.   SDSU in San Diego without other FBS school and no pro Basketball.  And you are recruiting to SAN DIEGO best weather in the Continental USA.  Albuquerque, Reno, Boise, Logan Utah and San Diego have markets to themselves.  To spend the money necessary without the bump in attendance is a net loss.  And it wouldn't dramatically raise the profile of the university without Elite 8 and Final Four appearances.  Fund Basketball adequately keep pace with the top 4 in the league and hope for the best.  But doing so expecting we have 10-15k arena rocking regularly is just unrealistic. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We are a bunch of losers. North Texas football is a perpetual loser. Our ceiling is low. Our floor is awful.  

Put. The. Money. Into. Basketball.

Say it with me...

What makes anyone think this football program with the 'fill in the blank' AD is going to stand up a football program worth a damn? Then do it with consistency? 

Even if we were able to get a coaching staff in here that could legitimately move the needle they would run to the first prettier girl that lifts the skirt. And we don't have the pedigree to reload a staff and keep 'it' going. It's done. We are what we are. Put a hefty % of our football budget (30ish%) into a sport that has proven to move the needle and maintain consistency. 

I did not down vote you, but I will chime in.   I think we should be able to do both.  Like it or not, football drives the money train (think money from conference media deals).  I don’t think you have to take money away from football.  Looking at the AD’s financial statements, I think there is a lot of cash spent on AD staff and AD “overhead” that can and should be reallocated to basketball.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

This isn't the MWC 🤦🏽‍♂️.   SDSU in San Diego without other FBS school and no pro Basketball.  And you are recruiting to SAN DIEGO best weather in the Continental USA.  Albuquerque, Reno, Boise, Logan Utah and San Diego have markets to themselves.  To spend the money necessary without the bump in attendance is a net loss.  And it wouldn't dramatically raise the profile of the university without Elite 8 and Final Four appearances.  Fund Basketball adequately keep pace with the top 4 in the league and hope for the best.  But doing so expecting we have 10-15k arena rocking regularly is just unrealistic. 

So basically shut down the entire athletic department because Dallas has pro football and basketball or what?

It's really not complicated. The smaller the athletic budget, the harder it is to compete in football in the FBS. Some small FBS programs have figured out how to do it. UNT is not one of them. Our budget would allow us to compete in basketball, though.

What it comes down to for me is I don't care what we excel at but excel at something. We can't be good not great at basketball and average not terrible at football and expect to thrive. I'd rather be great at one and terrible at the other than where we are now. We're close with basketball. Why not make the investment to be great there? I'd rather have a nationally respected basketball program even if it means terrible football. It'd be one more nationally respected program than what we have now. Right now we have nothing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Everybody wants to downvote, but nobody got shit to say....

Put MORE MONEY into basketball. Even thinking about dumping more money into football is not only obtuse thinking, but a historical fact based mistake. 

We can keep dumping money into football, but nothing will change.  I would rather be a top 30 program in basketball than keep doing what we have done the last 50 years in football.  

• Upvote 5

Some have suggested that taking money away from football implies disbanding football. That is not the case. Snipping some budgetary funds from football and reallocation of these funds to basketball changes the 66-21 score how? 66-14? 73-21? It's sort of whatever. It would have minimal to no bearing on our pretty bad attendance, our competiveness is historically subpar. So, I doubt it would move the needle one way or another. Frankly, if the athletic department did it and didn't tell anyone, no one would even know as far as the football product is concerned. Given we operate at or close to a deficit, it's a moot point in regard to football funding everything. What truly funds most things are our student fees, not football. It's an easy, believable, and cheap excuse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, NTFan11 said:

Did I miss the post game press conference?

I know the broadcast said there was no post game interview. I think because there was a sickness going around the broadcast. 

Which leads to another point.  Apparently Dave was sick. So, instead of bringing George, Jub Jub the Commander Dunham back for a game, they brought in a guest commentator to fill in.  They brought someone in who is a broadcaster for Texas Tech!  WTH?