Texas State

SigmaGreen

I’ve been impressed by them. In just a small amount of time, they’ve flipped their fortunes. Thursday night prime time game already? And, this team is very competitive. They look great against UTSA and are looking great vs ASU.
UNT admin really needs to get their act together. If they fully invest in football, the returns will be ten fold. I truly believe that. To see programs grow and thrive while we’re mired in mediocrity is just so frustrating to watch. 

• Haha 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

30 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

28-28 to start the 4th and AZ State starts at their 1.
They drive down inside the 40 but stall out.

Now,about 9:00 to go and TSU has the ball back starting at their 10 and they fumble just as I type this!!!!

It was a good game. ASU was lucky to get out with a win.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

2 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

I’ve been impressed by them. In just a small amount of time, they’ve flipped their fortunes. Thursday night prime time game already? And, this team is very competitive. They look great against UTSA and are looking great vs ASU.
UNT admin really needs to get their act together. If they fully invest in football, the returns will be ten fold. I truly believe that. To see programs grow and thrive while we’re mired in mediocrity is just so frustrating to watch. 

We invest more than they do. 

• Upvote 5

What's in a name?  In terms of perception, a lot.  We screwed the pooch back in 1990 (technically a little earlier) when we renamed our school and thought it was more important to drop state instead of north.  TSU obviously didn't have the same nostalgic attachment to southwest.  Fast forward 30+ years and TSU can lay claim to the entire state while we are relegated to a region of it.  Strategic faux pas by our leadership at the time IMHO. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

yeah branding isn't going to change our fortunes. It is winning, winning, winning. That is it. Alabama has some 1940s uniforms and they are "iconic" simply because they have done a lot of winning in them. 

Michigan the same. 

You can get small boosts -- the diving eagle is cool, etc -- but one reason the script logo on our helmets is "cool" is because we won league titles while wearing them. The "Southlake Carroll Knockoffs" don't carry weight with us because we did a lot of losing in them. 

Names are similar. It maybe makes it easier to remember but people still call us North Texas State. (USC doesn't like Southern Cal either, but they got that way because of winning with that name etc) -- you win? Everyone knows your name and your colors and all the other stuff. You lose? No one cares. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Recency bias is a real thing in college sports media & fandom. Most are idiots. UNT beats Tech tomorrow and Wyoming in 2 weeks and all of a sudden we’re a “top expansion target”, on our way up, hired the hot upcoming coach who Tech’s gonna hire away, ect. 

I like Texas State’s coach & they’re playing tough - reality is he’s probably gone after this season. Maybe one more if they’re lucky. Can you hire again successfully? Harder than it seems. Such is the life of a “have not” in this sport.

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We invest more than they do. 

True, but they just hit a record enrollment of over 40,000 and our enrollment has dipped this semester. I don't know their student fee numbers but enrollment changes can have a big impact. 

https://news.txst.edu/inside-txst/2024/fall-2024-record-enrollment.html

Just looked up fees. TSU is $22 per credit hour. UNT is $17.85 per credit hour.

Edited by MCMLXXX

21 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

I was in attendance for the game. Texas State looked very good despite the loss. What stuck out the most was the fan turn out. Thursday night game and that stadium was LOUD. I wish UNT could get that kind of support

They had 25,000. We’ve had that.