Thursday/Friday FBS Games - 9/12-9/13

El Paso Eagle

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I hope they lose. Go look at their remaining schedule. Could very easily win out and take the G5 spot from MWC or American. 

To each his own. And yes....I'd prefer that the AAC get the playoff spot. But so far....I don't think the AAC is "sponge worthy".

Just curious....why would you rather see the MWC get in....over others? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Just curious....why would you rather see the MWC get in....over others? 

Bc MWC (well until 2026) is considered on par or better than the American. Sun Belt is a clear 3rd. And if an American school doesn’t make the playoff, I’d rather be a conference that is already considered at our level. 

In short, I don’t want the Sun Belt to get any shine. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

so much jealousy by the fan base that the Sun Belt did not fall apart when UNT left, starting to sound like the SMU snobs. The Sun Belt has done phenomenal in the past few years to the point overall in FB they have passed AAC and are on par with MWC. They sent nearly everybody to a bowl last year. 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

so much jealousy by the fan base that the Sun Belt did not fall apart when UNT left, starting to sound like the SMU snobs. The Sun Belt has done phenomenal in the past few years to the point overall in FB they have passed AAC and are on par with MWC. They sent nearly everybody to a bowl last year. 

Agreed. It seems like we have lots of fans who want others to fail....more than they want UNT to succeed. 

Since we left the SBC....they've had lots of ranked teams. Lots of huge wins....Marshall beat Notre Dame, Appy State beat Texas A & M, ULL beat Kansas State....all games on the road for the SBC team. 

So far this year....the AAC has done nothing special. Tulane hosts Kansas State and can't get the win. I think we have five 2-0 teams.....and only one has an upset win (us beating USA).

So I don't knock teams in other leagues....for doing what we fail to do. Hopefully that will change soon....and we (and our league) will start knocking off some name opponents. (I know Tulane beat USC in the bowl....the Year before we got in the league). 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, SUMG said:

Happy for Texas State...getting that Prime Time coverage. Hope they win. 

We do compete for some of the same recruits, I bet. I'm happy they curb-stomped our rivals, but I don't really wish them well. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Agreed. It seems like we have lots of fans who want others to fail....more than they want UNT to succeed. 

Since we left the SBC....they've had lots of ranked teams. Lots of huge wins....Marshall beat Notre Dame, Appy State beat Texas A & M, ULL beat Kansas State....all games on the road for the SBC team. 

So far this year....the AAC has done nothing special. Tulane hosts Kansas State and can't get the win. I think we have five 2-0 teams.....and only one has an upset win (us beating USA).

So I don't knock teams in other leagues....for doing what we fail to do. Hopefully that will change soon....and we (and our league) will start knocking off some name opponents. (I know Tulane beat USC in the bowl....the Year before we got in the league). 

In true North Texas fashion, the SBC jumped up very high not too long after we left. Appy State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, and others have a lot to do with that, of course. And CUSA dropped off severely about 4-5 years after we joined. And the AAC change isn't looking all that great yet, either, if we're being honest.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

In true North Texas fashion, the SBC jumped up very high not too long after we left. Appy State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, and others have a lot to do with that, of course. And CUSA dropped off severely about 4-5 years after we joined. And the AAC change isn't looking all that great yet, either, if we're being honest.

Also Jim.....our first year out of CUSA....the G5 rep in the top bowl game: Liberty from CUSA. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

We do compete for some of the same recruits, I bet. I'm happy they curb-stomped our rivals, but I don't really wish them well. 

I've got no qualms with Texas St. it was one of the few schools i considered outside of UNT. They seem like a fun team to watch and i bet on them tonight... eat'em up Cats!

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

Has nothing to do with jealousy but it does have everything to do with pecking order. I don’t want a potential scenario where (for the sake of argument) we have a similar resume as Texas State but they get the nod for the playoff because their win over Arizona State is better than our win (again, hypotheticals) over Tech Tech. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I've got no qualms with Texas St. it was one of the few schools i considered outside of UNT. They seem like a fun team to watch and i bet on them tonight... eat'em up Cats!

If you haven't, I'd highly recommend the glass bottom boats they offer and run by students. It is very rad and informative. 

https://www.visitsanmarcos.com/listing/the-meadows-center-glass-bottom-boat-tours/318/

6 hours ago, untbowler said:

No jealousy at all and it has nothing to do with conference affiliation.  It doesn’t make sense to hope for success for a team with whom we’re competing for recruits and possibly fans. 

• Upvote 2