New Helmets Unveiled‼️

NTSU52

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

From 2001 - 2004 UNT was 4-20 in non-conference games. In those 24 games, UNT lost by an average score of 27.9 to 14.3. 

P4 record: 1-10 

G5 record: 2-10 

FCS record: 1-0

Needless to say, there are plenty of bad memories....

So the OOC weren’t bad memories for me. It gave me a chance to actually watch my team on TV.  I have fond memories of watching UNT vs LSU at the bowling alley with my fellow UNT peeps. 

If the game wasn’t televised, I was following along Brett’s in game blogging.  

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

From 2001 - 2004 UNT was 4-20 in non-conference games. In those 24 games, UNT lost by an average score of 27.9 to 14.3. 

This. I see people looking back at that time fondly, but the reality is the Sunbelt was extremely weak, anytime UNT stepped out of conference they got their butts kicked. We were a big fish in a small pond. I know people won't like it, but it's the truth.

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

This. I see people looking back at that time fondly, but the reality is the Sunbelt was extremely weak, anytime UNT stepped out of conference they got their butts kicked. We were a big fish in a small pond. I know people won't like it, but it's the truth.

I probably have a little nostalgia having transferred to North Texas in 1998 so the Dickey years were in my wheelhouse...but I think objectively, we didn't get our "butts kicked" in OOC. We didn't win (and there was always an argument that DD was too conservative in those games) but our defense usually kept us in some of those games until the talent difference showed up. Especially early in Dickey's tenure. The other thing, we played some BIG programs in that time because we had NO money: OU, UT, Bama, A&M, LSU, Arkansas

Different eras, different standards....I get it.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Animated GIF

Telling it like it is… these helmets were awful when we really used them.  

It was RVs idea…that people watching a TV game wouldn’t know what team we were unless we put the name on the helmet….irregardless that we already had the name on the jersey front!  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I remember thinking we had such a great chance to beat Air Force in 2003 because of how solid our run D was. They then proceeded to rack up over 300 yards passing. The only reason we won the bowl game that season was because Cinci turned it over 6 times. Yeah good Sun Belt memories but tons of frustration when it came to every non conference game, except a terrible Baylor team that probably woke up their alumni to actually put some money towards the team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I probably have a little nostalgia having transferred to North Texas in 1998 so the Dickey years were in my wheelhouse...but I think objectively, we didn't get our "butts kicked" in OOC. We didn't win (and there was always an argument that DD was too conservative in those games) but our defense usually kept us in some of those games until the talent difference showed up. Especially early in Dickey's tenure. The other thing, we played some BIG programs in that time because we had NO money: OU, UT, Bama, A&M, LSU, Arkansas

Different eras, different standards....I get it.

The bodybag games were an  understandable outcome, and the dept needed money. The 2-10 G5 record shows we weren't even a good G5 school compared to our peers. I'm not trying to disparage what those teams did, they helped get us to where we are today, but the reality is we weren't a very good team outside of our weak conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

The bodybag games were an  understandable outcome, and the dept needed money. The 2-10 G5 record shows we weren't even a good G5 school compared to our peers. I'm not trying to disparage what those teams did, they helped get us to where we are today, but the reality is we weren't a very good team outside of our weak conference.

Don't bring those facts into my trip down memory lane dammit 

• Haha 2

Here is my conspiracy theory hot take on these...

I remember back in the day that this was chosen as the decal bc it showed better on TV and that they feared the general audience wouldnt recognize the eagle logo or just UNT. So, they wanted North Texas.

So, I find it funny for our potential "big game" of the year, we are bringing it back for pretty much the same reason. 

I would much rather have done this for a conference game IMO. 

If we beat Wyoming, I want the nation seeing it in our regular duds... not just a throwback helmet. the tv audience will just think thats what we wear.

Ok, taking off my foil hat now 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

The only reason we won the bowl game that season was because Cinci turned it over 6 times. 

I think the credit should go to our defense for turning the Bearcats over six times, and not just say Cincy only lost because they turned it over.  We had a lot to do with that.

• Upvote 6

It's funny... I was in undergrad during the Big West daffy eagle/script crossover days, and while I loved loved loved the memories and the turnaround, I thought the script helmets were so awful... we didn't use that font anywhere else, it looked cheap, felt just thrown together with no thought or branding... I cheered for those helmets with everything I had, but I found the script borderline embarrassing. 

Now? As times and looks have changed, and more than a dash of nostalgia has been sprinkled in? I think they might be kinda awesome??? Looking forward to this!

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I think the credit should go to our defense for turning the Bearcats over six times, and not just say Cincy only lost because they turned it over.  We had a lot to do with that.

No…you’re wrong!  The ONLY reason Mike Tyson could beat me in a fight is because I will let him win by becoming unconscious.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3