Time to go back to North Texas State?

57 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

At the game I saw so many flying worms and NTSU shirts and hats. Young people seem to like it a lot.   It made me think, should we just embrace this and go back to it now?  I think it is very unique and identifiable.

62f5c4cb4b4de.webp.d89c1cc0557749edcb9f30348ffc5741.webp

Littrell looks like he just rolled out of bed and the Brut bottle was empty 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Here is the irony of this "nostalgia"? 

The NT administration NEVER wanted that name (NTSU). In 1960 when we achieved University status it necessitated a name change. The FIRST choice of the administration was UNT. A bill was drawn up and we got a representative from (I think) Mineral Wells to file it. Everything went fine with the representatives, but when it got to the Senate it hit a wall. Several senators (no doubt UT grads) threatened to filibuster the bill if it proceeded as written. A compromise was worked out and because "University" had to be in our name, NTSU was agreed upon. 

We had to go back three other times to try and change it to UNT, and the third time was finally successful.......but just barely. Gov. Clements (an SMU grad) signed the bill and here we are, being nostalgic for NTSU.

Seems at one time before UNT ....Texas State University came up..

Before SWTSU became TSU.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Before SWTSU became TSU.

When Hayden Fry was still here, he is said to have mentioned talking to Woody Hayes on the phone about scheduling a future game. Woody commented that NT might get more gigs if they sounded more big time. His main example was for us to change our name to Texas State. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Before SWTSU became TSU.

Yes, but because we were not a part of the Texas State University System, we could not get that name. 

Technically, Texas State-San Marcos is their official name.  If another school in that system ever wants to change their name to say Texas State-Huntsville, then TSU-SM would always have to include their city name as well!

I believe SFA used to be in this system too before changing to the UT system last year...

"The Texas State University System consists of seven institutions located throughout the state: Lamar University, Sam Houston State University, Sul Ross State University, Texas State University, Lamar Institute of Technology, Lamar State College Orange and Lamar State College Port Arthur."

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Here is the irony of this "nostalgia"? 

The NT administration NEVER wanted that name (NTSU). In 1960 when we achieved University status it necessitated a name change. The FIRST choice of the administration was UNT. A bill was drawn up and we got a representative from (I think) Mineral Wells to file it. Everything went fine with the representatives, but when it got to the Senate it hit a wall. Several senators (no doubt UT grads) threatened to filibuster the bill if it proceeded as written. A compromise was worked out and because "University" had to be in our name, NTSU was agreed upon. 

We had to go back three other times to try and change it to UNT, and the third time was finally successful.......but just barely. Gov. Clements (an SMU grad) signed the bill and here we are, being nostalgic for NTSU.

uT grads in the Senate didn't want us to be "The University of ..... Texas", saying it was too similar to their name.

It was said a University of "Something"  is better and has more prestige than a "Something" University.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Glory to the Green said:

Your hoodie is Nike?!?  Mine is Ouray, or something. Yours is not a Voertman’s purchase. 
Jealousy Envy GIF by The Roku Channel

You are correct it was not a Voertman's purchase! I see you pay attention to the detail when it comes to Mean Green apparel. You and I will be good friends!Business Yes GIF by Client Liaison

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Yes, but because we were not a part of the Texas State University System, we could not get that name. 

Technically, Texas State-San Marcos is their official name.  If another school in that system ever wants to change their name to say Texas State-Huntsville, then TSU-SM would always have to include their city name as well!

I believe SFA used to be in this system too before changing to the UT system last year...

"The Texas State University System consists of seven institutions located throughout the state: Lamar University, Sam Houston State University, Sul Ross State University, Texas State University, Lamar Institute of Technology, Lamar State College Orange and Lamar State College Port Arthur."

There was no legal opposition to changing our name to Texas State University.  Once it looked like we'd get our desired name change, there was a contingent saying we should change our name to Texas State instead.  But the goal had been for decades to get our name changed to UNT.  And alumni universally identified with "North Texas"--through almost all our previous name changes, "North Texas" had been part of our name.

• Upvote 1

We just need consistency at this point. Name, logo, and dare I say color. I think we need to shelve any throwbacks for all but maybe Homecoming each year. We struggle enough with branding and identity that I think we should make anything that’s not the current branding EXTREMELY limited.

Edit to add: Anything with “Texas State” in the name should not even be on the radar, in my opinion. Once SWT became Texas State, I think we should have left NTSU in the past.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

We just need consistency at this point. Name, logo, and dare I say color. I think we need to shelve any throwbacks for all but maybe Homecoming each year. We struggle enough with branding and identity that I think we should make anything that’s not the current branding EXTREMELY limited.

LOL.  Consistency?  Extremely limited?  You mean like every week when the Athletic Department itself shortens our logo on the helmet to feathers only?

• Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

When Hayden Fry was still here, he is said to have mentioned talking to Woody Hayes on the phone about scheduling a future game. Woody commented that NT might get more gigs if they sounded more big time. His main example was for us to change our name to Texas State. 

Interesting story. Thanks. I remember brief talk of “Texas State” back then.  It did have some appeal compared to NTSU.

• Upvote 1

“North Texas” has and will always be part of our name. There is nothing small-time about North Texas. It represents a very big area. 
No one questions the name “Southern California” either. 

The Flying Worm is unique and special just like the name Mean Green. 

The University of North Texas Mean Green with the Flying Worm logo sets us apart and is easily identifiable. It is a strong brand. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I was a freshman in 1961 when we changed our name from NTSC to NTSU.We did try to go to " Texas State but UT quickly killed that. Also, if memory serves, we were given the opportunity to join the UT system but turned it down.

14 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Before SWTSU became TSU.

Texas State was always reserved for A&M in case they ever wanted it. Once the Aggies were clear they would never change their name, SWT got the greenlight.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1