UNT NIL Defectors Update

21 hours ago, DentonStang said:

You're assuming they transferred for play rather than pay.  Cashing in to ride the bench and get your degree is not a bad gig

True - however, for players that have NFL aspirations, not playing (or playing very little) is not going to get the attention of scouts... whereas getting on the field and dominating will get a lot of attention.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2024 at 7:16 PM, UNTLifer said:

Jake Roberts (OU): 3 rec. 51 yards & 1 TD.

Stone Earle (Marshall): 13 - 36 for 131 yards w/ 1 TD and 1 int.  10 rushes for 31 yards

Jordan Smart (Ole Miss): No Stats

Dillon Williams (UTEP): No Stats

Logan Wilson (Cincy): 2 tackles, 1 PD

Chandler Rogers (Cal): No passing stats.  2 rushes for 14 yards.

Ja'yaire Shorter (Memphis): No stats

Alobwede (Memphis): No stats

Patrick Smith (ODU): 4 tackles

Mooney (ULM): No stats.  FYI, they hammered UAB.

Gebbia (USC): No stats.

Oscar Adaway (So. Caro): 1 rush for -1 yard.

J. Maclin (Kentucky): 1 rec. for 2 yards, 1 fumble

Ayo Adeyi (JMU): 4 rushes for -1 yard, 1 fumble

Joshua Smith (Morgan St.): No Stats

Detraveon Brown (Southern): No Stats

Isaiah Johnson (ACU): 14 rushes for 71 yards & 1 TD.  3 receptions for 25 yards

Harold West (ACU): No stats

Qualon Farrar (Delta St): first game he had 8 rushes for 40 yards and 2 TD's w/ 1 reception for 30 yards.  This week he had 8 rushes for 41 yards and one reception for 22 yards.

Patrick Smith has done well for ODU. Also had an INT last week and a very strong first week if I recall correctly. 
Maclin seems to be Kentucky’s punt returner and had three returns for 20 last year. Btw I don’t think he or Adeyi gave up the ball on those fumbles but still not a good stat to have. 
Kaghen Roach, Chris White, and Harold West all contributing at ACU on defense. 
Trey Cleveland had a good first game vs Tech but no stats for ACU last week.

So many guys went to ACU. “Players to be named later” in the Stone Earle trade? 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 9/11/2024 at 11:16 PM, UNTLifer said:

do wonder how many regret their decision and how many were “encouraged” to move along. 

Yes, without knowing those details a person is kind of a douche bag for judging many of these guys so harshly.  They are young and only get this time in their lives to play this sport, get a degree that is hopefully useful, and get a little money.  If had that talent and opportunity at their age I hope I would be humble and smart enough to weigh the long term, education, and playing time over anything less than 20k guaranteed.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Yes, without knowing those details a person is kind of a douche bag for judging many of these guys so harshly.  They are young and only get this time in their lives to play this sport, get a degree that is hopefully useful, and get a little money.  If had that talent and opportunity at their age I hope I would be humble and smart enough to weigh the long term, education, and playing time over anything less than 20k guaranteed.

Yeah and it’s great that those greasy agents get paid 30-40 percent up front!  

• Downvote 1

Howard Sampson starts at North Carolina, Ethan Miner starts at Miss State, and Febechi Nwewu starts at OU let's not forget about them.

At this point, it's a year to year league and you can't fault any player who leaves. The ONLY part about the transfer portal I don't like is when a player goes from small school to big school and then gets drafted the new school gets credit. There are certain G5 schools that have a reputation for having guys drafted almost every year, La Tech comes to mind I imagine those days are over. Both schools should be listed in my opinion, the inability to points to players in the pros from your school hurts G5 recruiting even more.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Howard Sampson starts at North Carolina, Ethan Miner starts at Miss State, and Febechi Nwewu starts at OU let's not forget about them.

At this point, it's a year to year league and you can't fault any player who leaves. The ONLY part about the transfer portal I don't like is when a player goes from small school to big school and then gets drafted the new school gets credit. There are certain G5 schools that have a reputation for having guys drafted almost every year, La Tech comes to mind I imagine those days are over. Both schools should be listed in my opinion, the inability to points to players in the pros from your school hurts G5 recruiting even more.

These are probably the guys we are missing the most.