UNT NIL Defectors Update

Yes they're getting money but I don't think they're getting as much money as a lot of us thought in the beginning. Seems to be a lot of stories coming out where transfers that don't end up playing don't get near the money they thought they were going to get

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

The bubble's got to burst eventually. Players are going to realize more often than not the next situation isn't much better. If not that, the money has to run dry. The wealthy alumni and businesspeople funding these huge NIL collectives didn't make all their money by making bad decisions. Eventually the interest in paying benchwarmers won't be there anymore.

With how much money the NCAA makes, and how much time the players put into their sports throughout the year, I am fine with with the NCAA paying the players some sort of universal salary and them doing whatever local business deals that want to do.

I wish the most we had to worry about was still who had the nicest locker room.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 6

Also, I hope we have an analytics department that meets with the team towards the end of the season that gets ahead of the transfer portal as much as possible. 

Show the team some stats from UNT players transferring to the P4 during the transfer portal era (sample size is large enough now) that saw their playing time on average decrease X and their receptions/carries/yards/touchdowns, etc. decrease Y, etc, etc. 

Now, everyone who transfers believes that they will be the exception to that. But, that is also what every one of those transfers whose production plummeted thought too. The statistics indicate overwhelmingly that players who leave UNT for the P4 don’t fare well. 

New team, new role, new coach, new teammates, new scheme, new conference, new opponents, new city, new school… there are a lot of variables that can impact your production. Is the money really worth the risk? 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Jake Roberts caught 3 for 51 and a touchdown.

Isaiah Johnson carried 14 for 71 and a touchdown plus caught 3 for 25.

Jamori Maclin carried once for 12 yards while catching one ball for 2 yards.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Jake Roberts caught 3 for 51 and a touchdown.

Isaiah Johnson carried 14 for 71 and a touchdown plus caught 3 for 25.

Jamori Maclin carried once for 12 yards while catching one ball for 2 yards.

Sorry but I checked and all of those stats came when their games were over against the scrubs.  Sorry I felt like we needed to put that into context.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, DentonStang said:

You're assuming they transferred for play rather than pay.  Cashing in to ride the bench and get your degree is not a bad gig

If you are going to a significantly higher rated academic institution than the school  you are transferring from that would make sense.  The likes of James Madison and Abilene Christian aren't propelling your career post football better than North Texas.  I don't fault any player for transferring from G5 to SEC.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

To the point of @Matt from A700, who is paying for these guys to come in and produce nothing? Is it guaranteed type deals or are they being lured by contingency fees that they are not triggering?

Hard to believe the people funding/in charge of these NIL collectives are just comfortable with paying big dollar figures to bring in bench warmers as a regular course of business expenditure.

Without knowing anything about these specific guys, teams do pay for depth/rotators/backups.  Obviously not as much as starters. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

Sorry but I checked and all of those stats came when their games were over against the scrubs.  Sorry I felt like we needed to put that into context.

Where on the stat sheet can you find that? (scored against "scrubs").  Is it located near the Style Points?

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3

Jake Roberts (OU): 3 rec. 51 yards & 1 TD.

Stone Earle (Marshall): 13 - 36 for 131 yards w/ 1 TD and 1 int.  10 rushes for 31 yards

Jordan Smart (Ole Miss): No Stats

Dillon Williams (UTEP): No Stats

Logan Wilson (Cincy): 2 tackles, 1 PD

Chandler Rogers (Cal): No passing stats.  2 rushes for 14 yards.

Ja'yaire Shorter (Memphis): No stats

Alobwede (Memphis): No stats

Patrick Smith (ODU): 4 tackles

Mooney (ULM): No stats.  FYI, they hammered UAB.

Gebbia (USC): No stats.

Oscar Adaway (So. Caro): 1 rush for -1 yard.

J. Maclin (Kentucky): 1 rec. for 2 yards, 1 fumble

Ayo Adeyi (JMU): 4 rushes for -1 yard, 1 fumble

Joshua Smith (Morgan St.): No Stats

Detraveon Brown (Southern): No Stats

Isaiah Johnson (ACU): 14 rushes for 71 yards & 1 TD.  3 receptions for 25 yards

Harold West (ACU): No stats

Qualon Farrar (Delta St): first game he had 8 rushes for 40 yards and 2 TD's w/ 1 reception for 30 yards.  This week he had 8 rushes for 41 yards and one reception for 22 yards.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

I wonder how many of these athletes had a realistic idea of how much playing time they'd get at their new schools. Seems like a lot of them just ride the pine. Even with the bigger payday that would be a bummer. You don't get to play college football for long.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rcade said:

I wonder how many of these athletes had a realistic idea of how much playing time they'd get at their new schools. Seems like a lot of them just ride the pine. Even with the bigger payday that would be a bummer. You don't get to play college football for long.

I am also curious as to what sort of playing time they could have expected if they had retuned and also if they were “encouraged” to leave. I am sure there are a couple that weren’t asked to leave but Morris seems pretty content to have washed away the Littrell era players.

• Upvote 2