MGN 224: Ugly Wins are Beautiful

5 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Correct. And before that I couldn't tell you... It's before 2003, because that's as far as ESPN goes

Ok. It wasn't on ESPN or the mean green official website, but it looks like the previous time to start 2-0 was in 1994, after we beat Abilene Christian and then SW Missouri State.

• Upvote 2

I would not call this win ugly. 

For context I believe SFA was better than South Alabama. 

Their offense was better and we held them to 20 points vs 38 points for USA.

Their defense was better and we scored 42 (if we didn't kneel down) vs 52 against USA.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Early in my coaching career, I went home upset because we won ugly in week 2.  We lost the next 7 games.  I learned then to appreciate any win, even the ugly ones.  It is hard to win.  Those kids on the other side are on scholarship too.  Those coaches aren't stupid.  

Enjoy every win.  Ugly wins are still wins.

Not being sarcastic, but I don't know how any win can be ugly. Maybe there was lots of "adversity" during the game that you had to overcome, and deal with, or overcome.....and that includes yourself.  Hell, the shape of the ball itself is one big built-in bundle of "adversity".  But in dealing with it, you learn.....or should learn.    

In the early stages of the game Saturday I was reminded of a very good quote from Rockey 1.  Apollo Creed is in the corner with his trainer and had just endured a pretty rough round. His trainer gave him a reality check.

• Apollo's Trainer: He doesn't know it's a damn show! He thinks it's a damn fight!
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

4-0 to start. The year of the Arkansas win! I still kick myself for missing out on that game vs La Tech in Denton.. Even know we lost, it sounded like a great atmosphere. 

Yes it was great. 30K there. Raucous. Loud as hell. Press box was shaking. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/9/2024 at 10:54 AM, GreenTexan13 said:

4-0 to start. The year of the Arkansas win! I still kick myself for missing out on that game vs La Tech in Denton.. Even know we lost, it sounded like a great atmosphere. 

The absolute loudest UNT sporting event I've ever been to. The "North! Texas!" chant video from that game pops up from time to time and its incredible. Multiple times Mason Fine tried to get people quiet but the crowd kept getting louder instead.

I'm literally begging for our guys to bring home a W from Lubbock because that Wyoming game has all the making for a repeat of this.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

The absolute loudest UNT sporting event I've ever been to. The "North! Texas!" chant video from that game pops up from time to time and its incredible. Multiple times Mason Fine tried to get people quiet but the crowd kept getting louder instead.

I'm literally begging for our guys to bring home a W from Lubbock because that Wyoming game has all the making for a repeat of this.

I am really hoping for this too 🙏

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

On 9/9/2024 at 4:12 AM, UNT86 said:

Early in my coaching career, I went home upset because we won ugly in week 2.  We lost the next 7 games.  I learned then to appreciate any win, even the ugly ones.  It is hard to win.  Those kids on the other side are on scholarship too.  Those coaches aren't stupid.  

I agree that we should appreciate all wins, however, we have seen previous teams have unimpressive wins against FCS that we should have won easily. Most of the time whatever we worried about from that game was exposed in spades soon after against stronger teams. That’s why I consider it an ugly win. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Yeah it holds true that good teams beat bad teams. Speaking of that 2018 team, they just absolutely destroyed SMU and then the same with Incarnate Word. 58-13 was the final. Just no doubt. 

So beating a bad Arkansas team was in the cards. 

TTU is not good, but I don't know that NT is good overall. The offense has the potential to be *very* good, but showed how vulnerable they are along that front line. The defense is getting better and I was very encouraged to see them shutdown SFA in pretty much all aspects. Just 10 points of offensive scoring and 250 total yards. SFA were aggressive also! went for it on 4th a couple of times. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2024 at 9:12 PM, UNT86 said:

To the young, single guys out there... make sure to remember this sage advice the next time you hear LAST CALL on Fry Street. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1